PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chicken Stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Options

Comments

• Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes I *think* I may have reduced it! lol
    When I took it from the slow cooker and strained it, there was more fluid and it was lighter in colour. Then I popped it in a pan and boiled it for a while and it went darker.
    Took it off the heat and into a jug and then it separated.
    Oops have I done it wonrg?! :o
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, you've done it right! I misunderstood! :o I thought you'd only got six fluid oz of stock before you reduced it!

Just in case it helps here is a good thread on making stock:

Best way to make stock??

Pink
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Phew what a relief Pink! Thanks! :o
    I have now scooped off all the fat, which was remarkably easy as the stock had set into jelly. I have now put the stock into an ice cube tray and bunged it in the freezer. I have made 12 cubes (well actually they are pineapple shaped as that is the shape of my ice tray! :rotfl: )
    Now do I just add one, a bit like a RM stock cube, as and when I need it from frozen?
    I think next time I make it I won't reduce it and I'll have a go at a soup.
    Wish me luck!
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    I know it's silly but I am quite proud at my first attempt at this!:rolleyes:

PS Any uses for the fat? I know it's no good for our consumption, but can I add something to it and give it to the birdies so that it's not wasted? Thanks.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • ZootHornRollo
    Options
    hi,

how long do i boil a chicken carcus to make stock for soup?

Thanks,
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • ZootHornRollo
    Options
    thanks,

thats answered my question.

i guess i'd better do it for a bit longer next time. only boiled it for an hour last night as i have to get rid of the chicken carcus - it was drving the cats MAD!!!!!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • odds-n-sods
    odds-n-sods Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    The best chicken stock is made with roasted bones and lots of veg.

I tend to keep veg bits in the freezer, then use them mixed with fresh veg.

You can use a mix of raw bones and already cooked. The raw ones I roast off in the oven at 200'F until they are brown. While they are doing that I brown off the veg: onions celery, carrots leeks, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf, any fresh herbs (parsley, dill, rosemary,thyme, whatever you have) on a very low heat. Once the bones are browned I put them in the pot, add water to cover and let simmer for several hours. I strain, cool, and take the fat off then reduce as much as I want. I dont' boil it, until I reduce it; this makes a cloudy stock as the fat emulsifies into the liquid,even at the beginning of cooking.

If you want a chicken jus just reduce it to about 25% of the original volume.

If you'd like a paler stock, don't brown anything off.

(Used to be a chef!)

With beef bones, roast them off as well, but with a little tomato paste in with the veg as you brown it off; adds tons of flavour.
  • odds-n-sods
    odds-n-sods Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    zoot, dont' boil it, simmer it slowly, you'll end up with a virtually fat-free stock. And put a lid on it so the cats dont' fall in!
  • susiesue_2
    Options
    ok, i have got my lovely free ranger chicken, and after tea tonight i want to make some stock out of the remains.

any tips; i want to use the slow cooker. its not an oval one-its the type with high sides.

please help-sorry if this has beeen posted before
    susiesue
    Julius Caesar, and the roman empire, couldn't conquer the blue sky
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi susiesue,

There's an older thread on making stock in the slow cooker with lots of tips that should help so I've added your post to it to keep all the ideas together.

Pink
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    hi all,
    I posted a similar question yesterday. I roasted a free range chicken yesterday which we had for dinner, the I picked off all the meat which will do another meal tomorrow (probably curry), then I boiled up the carcass & I have the stock in the fridge for chicken broth tonight. I'll let you know what it's like ! good luck
    regards
    Trigger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills