September's Step-Up!!!

Options

Comments

• Superdopsa
    Options
    Evening all. Have managed an SFD today! Number 7 - not brilliant I know but aiming for double figures before the end of the month.

Went to the gym before work this morning. Packed lunch at work. No alcohol.

Nothing else to report. Totals stand at:

Food - £89.01/£100
    Misc - £109.57/£120
    Petrol - £57.42/£70

Check in again tomorrow.
  • hotmama
    Options
    Ended up buying lunch and left mine by accident and was roped into spending £2.35 on a baguette for a colleague which hasn't been paid back! Ooh not happy.
    Didn't top up petrol s will have to tomorrow earning into my NSD total.
    Alcohol free day though.
    Gotta keep plodding on, looking forward to pay day as had a pay rise And am unsure how much to expect.
    Hope it's a good difference.
  • Moneymash
    Moneymash Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 September 2013 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

abundant1972 - I'm glad your mood has picked up, for now we are stuck on this rollercoaster and can't get off.

Thriftylass- The new cupboard doors look great, they really brighten up your kitchen, and buttermilk is such a lovely colour.

LoveaDove - I can't believe you went to the Sugarhut, did you see the lovely Mick? The thing about Towie is the locations/places are accessible. I would love to go to the locations in Made in Chelsea, but would feel so out of place. Maybe when I'm debt free and can afford to dress like I belong there.

NSK - I will read your thread about your work woes as I am probably in the same place.

I have been lackluster with this month's challenge, I too am suffering mood swings. Everything is taking so long, it will be payday on Monday and it can't come soon enough. My loan will drop from £1992, to £1191 (hopefully) which is about 4 months payments if I make no further over-payments, or just 2 months to go if I do, and I will.

It's horrid it is getting cold, dark and wet, I just want to snuggle and settle in at home, but I have to go out for horrible night shifts.

I feel I am on the closing straight, and it is downhill all the way now, but it is just taking so long. I feel that as I approach debt freedom I am thinking more and more about my job and how my working conditions are changing for the worse. I feel I have stayed much longer than I would have because of my debt free journey, now I feel that when I am debt free next year I can take risks again and that is freedom of another kind, I can't wait, but I'll guess I'll have to!

I forgot about the alcohol part of the challenge, however, since I rarely drink, all my days have been alcohol free anyway. I shall make up for that on Friday and have some wine spritzers.

I also haven't done any exercise, I am not feeling to good, but scared to go to the doctors as I was very ill earlier on in the year and can't cope with any more bad health news. At least I am still able to work though, I am working tonight and Saturday night is extra shift number 6, just 2 more to go (and the rest).

As far as budgets go I am doing ok

Food £99.90/£112
    Misc £45.95/£48.38
    SFD 16/18
    Exercise zilch, nothing, nada
    AFD 26/30

Also, I overestimated what I spent on BCard 2 (realised when I got my statement) so my balance drops from £6222.67, to £6067.22 ( I just realised these figure are in reverse, how strange)

Talking of incorrect figures wow LSD can't believe you underestimated your salary by £1000, at least you can enjoy spending your birthday money now.

ta ta for now
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • lilian1977
    Options
    I think I've realised why I struggle so much with this challenge. As I am debt free but constantly feel like I don't have enough money to be content with my life, I feel like there is no end to this battle. I think what I need to do is think about things that are going to happen soonish when I will have increased money available. Those things are:

1. 15 hours free childcare in April 2014 - will reduce nursery bill from c£400 to c£200 a month. OH and I split this cost so about £100 better off.

2. DS starts school September 2015. Not sure how this will affect cash as we will still need wraparound care of about 10 hours a week, may not make a difference but we'll see.

3. Mortgage due to be paid off 2024. Ages away - but it's still there in the future!

I think if I use these as my "dates" then I will be a lot happier. This all depends on whether we have a 2nd child though....
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2013 at 12:52PM
    Options
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    I think I've realised why I struggle so much with this challenge. As I am debt free but constantly feel like I don't have enough money to be content with my life, I feel like there is no end to this battle. I think what I need to do is think about things that are going to happen soonish when I will have increased money available. Those things are:

1. 15 hours free childcare in April 2014 - will reduce nursery bill from c£400 to c£200 a month. OH and I split this cost so about £100 better off.

2. DS starts school September 2015. Not sure how this will affect cash as we will still need wraparound care of about 10 hours a week, may not make a difference but we'll see.

3. Mortgage due to be paid off 2024. Ages away - but it's still there in the future!

I think if I use these as my "dates" then I will be a lot happier. This all depends on whether we have a 2nd child though....

Oh so I know what you mean. Our mortage runs til 2034 :eek: (I'll be in my mid 50s). But we have currently childcare costs (for DS) of £1000 pounds a month (slight savings made through childcare vouchers) and number two is on it's way (March). Luckily DS will get into the uni nursery and 15 hrs free next autumn when I go back to work (still about £250) and DD2 or DS2 will have to go to the expensive nursery for at least a year at at least £1000 a month. Also the date DS is born means he won't go to school till he's 5 1/2 (another 2 years, same as yours). That's almost double our mortgage payments and nearly my whole salary. I'm not going into the whole I wanted kids and work debate but it just seems not right to have to pay that much.

How do you apply for the 15 hrs free childcare. Does your nursery do it as soon as he's 3?
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • NinjaSavingKat
    NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2013 at 1:33PM
    Options
    I am liking this honest. This is what we need. This thread was never started to be some flowery love circle where we all float along and ignore the big issues. My rules are a guideline which I know will be broken and I really truly encourage everyone to whinge, whine, rant and write whatever you want....

It is HARD having children now. My friend pays £1100 amonth for her son's nursery. She quit her job yesterday and has three months to work until she starts the new year jobless. Her husdand works but she is the main bread winner... her child's upbringing is more important... but my goodness how expensive are these little people.. so any sort of free child care is fantastic.. any sort of money saving in that respect is amazing.. talk about it please...

Mortgages... an investment. One that I realised I couldn't take on just now. You say you want rid of them and will be in your mid 50's... that a long time away when you might win the lottery...:o... but in all seriousness it's an investment. It's not a debt so to speak. But I would be in the boat of "get it paid off asap" which means I will never stop working.. anyone care to share their mortgage amounts per month... I am intrigued... My parents now own their house... monthly repayments were £144. This is Ireland though and they are now in their 60's... it scares me to think if I don't buy soon I might be paying it off until I am a LOT older than any of you....

Abundant glad you are back on board. I know your fluctuate with yourself and your feelings.. it's not a bad thing. Asking you all to get a spreadsheet together each month is secret code to REEVALUATE your situation. Not just monetary but physically as well... this is why I think having an ultimate goal is neccessary. Having a DFD is important also. What I can't do is manifest enthusiasm for you - thats down to you...... but why not sit this weekend and think about what you REALLY want to do. Then work out a short term and long term plan... it doesn't have to be serious but you might surprise yourself in what you are interested in or what spurs you on in the dark times... I am proud of you by the way - you are almost 50% of the way there... :p

I don't think any of you realise just how much you have all helped me in my journey.. I have so much respect for each and everyone of you that puts your name down here and wants to get on and do something about your debt.... No it's not easy... MoneyMash I feel your pain regarding night shifts.. I don't want to go.. I don't want to walk out of my house on a Saturday and spend my free time working... but every hour that passes I think of how annoyed I would be on the 31st December 2013 if I was not debt free and how sick I would be thinking "if only I did two more shifts" ... push through, push onwards and push upwards... You CAN do it... you are doing it

My desk buddy, my lovely desk buddy gave me a bite of his chocolate eclair cause he got fed up of my begging puppy eyes.. he's not afraid of my germs...I'm gonna miss him...:(

Lillian.. how much more money would you like per month to be comfortable and do what you want..? Just curious...anyone can answer this question though...

I have always said I would be entirely honest with you all from day one.... I take home £1850.. today my payslip said £2640 because of all the overtime. But I have paid the price for this.. no life basically. And whats worse...£1440 is going to debts...TREATS!! ...
    Is it worth it. Yes for the shirt term. I would like a job that can pay this without encompassing my entire life...wishful thinking...? Any rich employers out there looking for a very dedicated slightly obsessive me to sort out your finances...(might need trainging...lol)....

I gotta go cover another part of my office now... I will check in later though for more chitter chatter... looks like I might be here until 2200....GREAT!!!..:rotfl:
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Happybeingme
    Options
    Hi

Sorry I haven't posted for ages, I had a nasty bout of flu. It's been brilliant to get the sfd's up though! :rotfl:

I'm recovered now and started college yesterday. Turns out I only need the book now and don't need to get the computer program till February so I should def be under with misc spends!

Hope everyone else is well

xx
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2013 at 2:52PM
    Options

It is HARD having children now. My friend pays £1100 amonth for her son's nursery. She quit her job yesterday and has three months to work until she starts the new year jobless. Her husdand works but she is the main bread winner... her child's upbringing is more important... but my goodness how expensive are these little people.. so any sort of free child care is fantastic.. any sort of money saving in that respect is amazing.. talk about it please...

Mortgages... an investment. One that I realised I couldn't take on just now. You say you want rid of them and will be in your mid 50's... that a long time away when you might win the lottery...:o... but in all seriousness it's an investment. It's not a debt so to speak. But I would be in the boat of "get it paid off asap" which means I will never stop working.. anyone care to share their mortgage amounts per month... I am intrigued... My parents now own their house... monthly repayments were £144. This is Ireland though and they are now in their 60's... it scares me to think if I don't buy soon I might be paying it off until I am a LOT older than any of you....

I have always said I would be entirely honest with you all from day one.... I take home £1850.. today my payslip said £2640 because of all the overtime. But I have paid the price for this.. no life basically. And whats worse...£1440 is going to debts...TREATS!! ...
    Is it worth it. Yes for the shirt term. I would like a job that can pay this without encompassing my entire life...wishful thinking...? Any rich employers out there looking for a very dedicated slightly obsessive me to sort out your finances...(might need trainging...lol)....

I know those little people are expensive but I wouldn't change a thing. Only 16 years till he moves out :rotfl:, only joking. It's a life choice we made same with deciding to have a second one now. And even with two it still sort of pays to work and I need to keep my career going otherwise I won't get back in (already took a step down from post-doc to technician). OH takes home about 1800 and I 1500, that is after both of us also pay 250 in childcare vouchers and I pay another 3-500 towards the nursery. Mortgage is about 700 (OH pays). His money then goes to insurances, council tax, car tax, fuel, tv licence. His car loan has now finished and I hope he can save a few pennies too. That reminds me have to have the talk again as I think he has too much left over compared to me ;) My money goes towards a few smaller bills, groceries and savings. So we should bothe pay about 70% of our wages towards joint bills. Somehow I never have any personal spending left for me, it all goes to savings, garden/house bills etc. Need to speak to him. We are planning to start overpaying our mortgage once the fixed deal ends in two years time, DS is in school and child 2 will be in the cheaper nursery and childcare will hopefully be down to about £5-600 for both of them.
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lillian.. how much more money would you like per month to be comfortable and do what you want..? Just curious...anyone can answer this question though...

I gotta go cover another part of my office now... I will check in later though for more chitter chatter... looks like I might be here until 2200....GREAT!!!..:rotfl:

I take home £937 a month, working 4 days a week, after the £243 gross comes off for childcare vouchers. Think that equates to about £20,000 a year if I was full time, it's around £16,000 now as part time.

I would be "ok" with another £100 a month I think, which has made me wonder whether to go back to full time hours - would reduce my outgoings too as I spend a fair bit entertaining DS on a Friday. But then I would really miss my day with him so I don't think it's worth the sacrifice for what will really equate to such a short time.

We currently pay £530 a month mortgage - but that's overpaying by £150 a month, which we've been doing from the start. Means when we remortgage (hopefully this will finally kick in next month) we are able to go on to a 15 year term (from a 25 year term, only taken out 3.5 years ago).

thriftylass I haven't actually asked how we apply for the 15 hours but he's in 3 days a week so I assume it will just be a credit on the bill. Gutted to have found out that it's term time only though!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • thriftylass
    Options
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    thriftylass I haven't actually asked how we apply for the 15 hours but he's in 3 days a week so I assume it will just be a credit on the bill. Gutted to have found out that it's term time only though!

Oh b***er, yes just read that it's only 38 weeks of the year. Great :( better keep that in mind. I think I'll just ask our nursery next time I'm in how to apply or if they do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure