Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    muffy wrote: »
    Has anybody had any luck with them?

Suggest you use the search function and also look at the relevant thread.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    fred_up wrote: »
    The problem is that the CAA are non responsive.

I know; that's why I said "should" as in "ought to".
    I suppose that these new rulings have overwhelmed the CAA, as they were never set up to deal with this.

They've had years to get their act together and if they had concentrated more on the nonsense that airlines were fobbing off passengers with, and given them the hard word, there would have been far fewer individual cases to deal with.
  • dxc_chappie
    Options
    A full investigation has been carried out to find out what the cause of the delay was and from that we can see that the flight was delayed due to unexpected safety issues. Our Engineering and Operations Teams took all reasonable steps to minimise the delay and despite our routine maintenance schedules, which comply with CAA regulations, and the manufacturers recommendations, the problem could not have been prevented.

Another example of how the copy 'n paste brigade are interchanging technical issues with unexpected safety issues. They know they're on a loser with technical issues as a reason for the delay so are now trying it on with safety issues!

Shameful.

Off to court you go.
  • rbr
    Options
    Last year we booked flights from Gatwick to Sydney with approx 2 hour stop-over in Jakarta with Garuda Indonesia.
    After several months we were informed that the flights we had planned to catch would not be operating and were offered the choice of money back or re-route at no additional cost to ourselves.
    As we were now only a few months from our holiday and could no longer book more direct flights with another operator at similar price we decided to go for re-route option.
    Instead of the original 24 - 25 hour trip we had a 34 hour trip on the way there, and even longer on the way back, this involved a short stop-over in Amsterdam in each direction and a long stop-over in Jakarta.
    To make it easier we were offered lounge tickets in Jakarta and Amsterdam which we accepted.
    The flights went OK, very long and tiring, but never mind, I would not have considered making a claim. However on the return journey, in Sydney airport we were told by Garuda Indonesia check-in staff that we had to purchase visas for Indonesia, due to the long stop-over there.
    We had to pay the cost $76 in cash, and the check-in staff insisted we pay, despite being told about the rerouting situation. They informed us that we would be compensated on our return if we contacted Garuda Indonesia Customer Services.
    On my return I contacted them and received an e-mail back asking for more info. I gave the information requested (flight details, booking numbers etc). Since that e-mail sent 3 times in the past 3 weeks I have received no reply at all.
    This has made me very fed up, as when we accepted the re-route we were told it would be at no cost to ourselves.
    I now feel that as they are being so unresponsive about compensating for the visa required due to the long-stopover in Jakarta, I should ask whether we are actually entitled to quite a bit more than this in compensation for cancellation.
    My question is, am I still entitled to claim if the rerouting was planned a few months before and agreed by me?
    If anyone knows the answer, I'd be grateful.
    Thanks.
    RBR
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    No is the short answer. Both because the change was made so far in advance nd the return leg is a none EU carrier from a non EU airport.

The question about the visa cost is irrelevant to Regulation 261/04 - and if the airline won't refund I think your options are very limited.

Sorry!
  • Moon_walker
    Options
    Hi everyone

Everyone seems to be asking similar questions and I have looked for an answer to mine but am struggling. I am hopeful one of you can point me in the correct direction please?

Flights out from Aberdeen to London (BA) then onwards to Nairobi with Kenyan Airlines and eventually onto Zanzibar. Same route return, same carriers. On the return I was delayed for initially 2 hours which increased to 7 hours in Nairobi as airline said they wanted to wait for another flight to arrive and get the passengers onto our flight. BA flights back to Aberdeen all missed however BA very accommodating and sorted their sector out.

Trip booked through Virgin holidays although do not think this matters.
    Any initial responses? Was a very long nervous wait for single female travelling alone.

Thank you
  • rbr
    Options
    Just to clarify - what is the cut-off time limit for the changes to route to be made in advance of the flights?
    Could we claim for outward journey only as made from London to Sydney with stop-over Amsterdam and Jakarta, as London is an eu airport, because our overall journey was almost 9 hours longer?
  • Vauban
    Options
    rbr: 14 days
  • Vauban
    Options
    Hi everyone

Everyone seems to be asking similar questions and I have looked for an answer to mine but am struggling. I am hopeful one of you can point me in the correct direction please?

Flights out from Aberdeen to London (BA) then onwards to Nairobi with Kenyan Airlines and eventually onto Zanzibar. Same route return, same carriers. On the return I was delayed for initially 2 hours which increased to 7 hours in Nairobi as airline said they wanted to wait for another flight to arrive and get the passengers onto our flight. BA flights back to Aberdeen all missed however BA very accommodating and sorted their sector out.

Trip booked through Virgin holidays although do not think this matters.
    Any initial responses? Was a very long nervous wait for single female travelling alone.

Thank you

As your delay was a non-EU carrier departing a non-EU airport, you have no claim under the Regulation.
  • welshmike_2
    Options
    Today I read this article: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=hiya&utm_term=02-Sep-14-v1&utm_campaign=travel&utm_content=2#fault .

It prompted me to relate the experience of four or us in 2006.

We were booked on a skiing holiday with Crystal Ski, departing the UK on 20th December 2006 and scheduled to arrive back in the UK on 31st December.

1. On 20th December our plane was not able to land at Denver airport, Colorado, due to heavy snow. Our plane was diverted to land in Salt Lake City airport, Utah, where we spent the night of the 20th in an hotel there.
    Next day we were taken by bus from Salt lake City to our destination ski resort, Winter Park, Colorado; a journey of some eight hours.
    As a result we lost a days skiing.

2. On 30th December we had an early start to be taken by bus from Winter Park to Denver airport.
    At the airport after several hours delay we were told that our flight back to the UK was delayed apparently due to a faulty component; the replacement needing to be flown from what I recall was Texas.
    We were then taken by bus to a nearby hotel to spend the night.
    Very early next morning we were taken by bus back to the airport where there was a repeat of the previous day because the replacement component had not arrived.
    We were then taken again by bus to a nearby but different hotel to spend the night of 31st December missing our planned New Years Eve celebration with our families in the UK.
    Very early next morning we were taken by bus back to the airport and at last our plane departed Denver airport with the four of us aboard to land in the UK on 1st January 2007.

Our delays were of course a long time ago but what compensation do forum members think we should be entitled to please?

Regards
    Mike
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport