Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• AMEH_2
    Options
    We were delayed for more than 4 hours due to a technical problem with the aircraft on our homeward flight from Antalya on 4th April 2013. Whatever it was (which was never explained), we took off and then had to return to Antalya for the problem to be remedied. Unfortunately, other than the date, I do not have details of the flight. I've checked the Flight Stats website and there's nothing showing there for that date - other than a Thos Cook flight which does not apply as RSD use a charter. Could someone advise please? Do I approach RSD travel regarding compensation or is there somewhere else I could find out the flight details? I know RSD are pretty cheap but we were not treated very well that day.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AMEH wrote: »
    We were delayed for more than 4 hours due to a technical problem with the aircraft on our homeward flight from Antalya on 4th April 2013. Whatever it was (which was never explained), we took off and then had to return to Antalya for the problem to be remedied. Unfortunately, other than the date, I do not have details of the flight. I've checked the Flight Stats website and there's nothing showing there for that date - other than a Thos Cook flight which does not apply as RSD use a charter. Could someone advise please? Do I approach RSD travel regarding compensation or is there somewhere else I could find out the flight details? I know RSD are pretty cheap but we were not treated very well that day.

You need to find the airline that you flew with as the claim is against the actual airline. As the affected flight was departing from outside the EU there will be no claim unless the airline was an EU registered airline. Once you have confirmed that the airline is an EU airline you would make your claim with that airline. Maybe RSD can help you with the airline's name but you do not claim from the agent
  • shell69_2
    Options
    Hi, my claim is currently with the small claims court - had to do it by post as a party of 8. United have until the 8th September (Monday) to reply - so far we have heard nothing. Would they have to reply directly to the court or directly to me? I'm waiting with baited breath to send the request for judgement form but didn't know If I should wait a bit longer than Tuesday. Thanks for any advice
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shell69 wrote: »
    Hi, my claim is currently with the small claims court - had to do it by post as a party of 8. United have until the 8th September (Monday) to reply - so far we have heard nothing. Would they have to reply directly to the court or directly to me? I'm waiting with baited breath to send the request for judgement form but didn't know If I should wait a bit longer than Tuesday. Thanks for any advice

Do you mean the airline's initial defence? I assume they send it to both you and the court. You'll certainly get it. From what I have read, courts have been ridiculously accommodating where airlines have missed deadlines so I wouldn't necessarily get your hopes up. Whether there is any downside to requesting judgement, I don't know.
  • shell69_2
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    Do you mean the airline's initial defence? I assume they send it to both you and the court. You'll certainly get it. From what I have read, courts have been ridiculously accommodating where airlines have missed deadlines so I wouldn't necessarily get your hopes up. Whether there is any downside to requesting judgement, I don't know.

Thanks David - Yes I guess I do mean the initial defence. We haven't had any correspondence from United since before sending the NBA or any word that they are defending. I will maybe give the court a ring on Monday or Tuesday to see if they have heard anything before I request judgement. Thanks for your advice
  • mama
    mama Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I missed my KLM connecting flight from Amsterdam which was to arrive in Manchester at 7.05 am due to our delayed arrival from Accra, I was re-booked onto flight KL1081, which I was told was overbooked when I went to check in at the desk and was given some vouchers.
    I was finally re-booked on a third flight (KL1083), which arrived at 12.37 pm, adding an extra 2 hours 12 minutes to my journey, according to the time the overbooked KL1081 landed. KLM has refused compensation, citing the original cause of the delay from Accra (scheduling problems at the airport) but I believe they booked me onto a flight which they should have known was overbooked. How do I proceed from here?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There would only be one claim for this journey, the claim that the delay of the ACC-AMS flight resulted in a delay of over 3 hours to your final destination. If this was due to ATC or areas outside the airline's control then there is no compensation. Do you know what they mean by "scheduling problems"?

The booking on overbooked flight is all a bit of a red herring. It sounds like your original flight left without you as you failed to turn up in time. The only reason you were unable to turn up on time was due to the inbound aircraft delay. They would have tried to get you onto the next available flight and, as with the majority of flights, people do not turn up for various reasons (including their connecting flights being late) they would have hoped that there would have been sufficient no=shows to get you on but this did no happen on the day. The alternative would have been to book you directly on the later flight on a confirmed seat but there then was a chance that the earlier flight could have gone with empty seats without you
  • mama
    mama Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    There would only be one claim for this journey, the claim that the delay of the ACC-AMS flight resulted in a delay of over 3 hours to your final destination. If this was due to ATC or areas outside the airline's control then there is no compensation. Do you know what they mean by "scheduling problems"?

The booking on overbooked flight is all a bit of a red herring. It sounds like your original flight left without you as you failed to turn up in time. The only reason you were unable to turn up on time was due to the inbound aircraft delay. They would have tried to get you onto the next available flight and, as with the majority of flights, people do not turn up for various reasons (including their connecting flights being late) they would have hoped that there would have been sufficient no=shows to get you on but this did no happen on the day. The alternative would have been to book you directly on the later flight on a confirmed seat but there then was a chance that the earlier flight could have gone with empty seats without you

The email from KLM said it was due to the runway in Accra being closed, but the announcement was made on the flight that Air traffic control got their scheduling wrong, hence we were not able to take off at the expected time
  • NHO
    Options
    Thanks for a fantastic website. My husband and 2 kids were delayed just under 5 hours in August on an Easyjet flight from the UK. I used your sample letter and emailed it on the 1st September. Got a reply today (7th September) advising each passenger was due 600 euro compensation. An amazing result considering each ticket was just under £300.

A fantastic result, thanks so much for your easy to use guidelines.

NHO, London
  • AC91
    Options
    Hi all,

First post on this website. I was on EasyJet flight 187 from London Luton to Belfast International on 4th Sept 2014. The flight was delayed almost 4 hours. On the plane the pilot said that they were in Italy flying to France iirc and they had to make an unscheduled flight back to Italy. Easy Jet sent an email the next day apologizing saying that it was due to bad weather. I don't recall the pilot saying this and didn't see any reports on the weather when searching during my 4 hour delay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope Easy Jet aren't just saying it was down to bad weather to get out of it.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport