Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options
1120712081209121012111213»

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    there is no rules that say an airline should hold a flight for late passengers, Depending on the airports involved, holding a flight can mean missed departure slot, significant delays for new slot and delayed arrival to destination meaning passengers potentially missing other connecting flights.
    The Captain of the operating flight would be the one that would make the decision on whether they were going to wait and potentially delay other passengers...not the Captain of a different flight. (I can see why the gate agent was surprised you were told that)
    It is not common to delay flights for late passengers although I have seen it happen where it has maybe been last flight of the day and a large group (airline would otherwise be responsible for accommodating them all in hotels and rebooking next day)
    If your delay was caused by ATC which then caused you to miss the gate closure time for your further flight then there is no compensation due. You are due duty of care for the wait for the next flight - refreshments, accommodation (if applicable) etc
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Interestingly the second flight departed more than 30 minutes late - so the decision to shut the gate makes little sense. The airline assured me over live chat that they have "20 minutes of flexibility" and that they "would generally hold the flight if it's the last one to the destination that day." It seems someone didn't play by the airline's own playbook. 

I have found no evidence that there was an ATC restriction - the rest of the flights at the departure airport for flight 1 were all on time - so it must have been a very selective restriction... I have emailed the airport to find out more. I note some airlines lie to customers to deny claims so should I do anything else at this stage?

Is there a library of past decisions from ADR or from court action anywhere? I see SOP is the ADR for this airline but it seems they may have a large backlog at the moment. So perhaps straight to court action via the small claims court.
  • mary
    mary Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've recently returned from a trip to East Africa.   The outward bound flight was from Heathrow via Kigali (Rwanda) and on to Entebbe (Uganda).    Basically the plane on the last leg never materialised and we had to get another and arrived 16 hours later than scheduled in Entebbe.

*Terms and conditions
    • Ticket is government taxes exclusive
    • Ticket is not refundable or exchangeable for money
    • Ticket may be transferable to an immediate family member provided there is proof of relation
    • Ticket may not be used during high season periods of December -January, (festive season)  April (Easter holiday), July, August, September
    • Should you wish to use the ticket during high season, ticket will be issued on waitlist basis and should you not get a seat RwandAir will not be liable
    • Ticketing request should be done at least 2 weeks before departure dates.
    • Ticket has one free change and any changes following that will be charged at $100
    When you are ready to travel please contact Customer Relations on email customerrelations@rwandair.com*

Rwandair have offered compensation in the form of complimentary tickets.   Please see below:
    I was hoping that we would be offered straight cash compensation, but on reading the above Ts & Cs, it sounds as though this is not an option.

• mary
    Options
    The above response followed my request for compensation due to the long delay.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Provided the booking was made as a single through ticket rather than as two separate ones with a self-connection, then it comes within the scope of the UK261 regulations (which are unrelated to the Ts & Cs of sale/carriage), so it'll come down to the underlying reason for the delay/cancellation of the second leg, i.e. whether or not it was within the airline's control.
  • mary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.   Yes it was one single booking via booking.com.     
    We were told at the airport in Kigali that it was for technical reasons.   So will update here when I get a follow up reply.

• VegasVegas
    VegasVegas Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    First time poster. Looking for some help please. Travelled back from Vegas last week to Glasgow via Gatwick with BA. 
    Flight was delayed by 3.5hrs due to technical fault. This meant we missed our connecting flight with BA to Glasgow and they needed to send us to Heathrow. 
    Instead of getting to Glasgow at 12pm midday we didn’t arrive until 8pm as the only connecting flight they could get us on was 5ths later. 

My question is was our delay 3.5hrs or 8hrs? Is it the time you are meant to arrive at your final destination? 

Any help would be appreciated before I try and claim anything from BA. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First time poster. Looking for some help please. Travelled back from Vegas last week to Glasgow via Gatwick with BA. 
    Flight was delayed by 3.5hrs due to technical fault. This meant we missed our connecting flight with BA to Glasgow and they needed to send us to Heathrow. 
    Instead of getting to Glasgow at 12pm midday we didn’t arrive until 8pm as the only connecting flight they could get us on was 5ths later. 

My question is was our delay 3.5hrs or 8hrs? Is it the time you are meant to arrive at your final destination? 

Any help would be appreciated before I try and claim anything from BA. 
    It is the arrival time at your final destination that counts but 3.5 versus 8 hours doesn't actually make any difference, as it's the same compensation payable for either - once the threshold of three hours has been passed, there's no additional recompense for further delay beyond that, assuming that the technical fault is considered to be within the airline's control, as most are....
  • Steve_Bantam
    Options
    Hi all!
    More general question but does anyone know whether there was an outcome for Lipton v BA? The Supreme Court website shows a hearing was held on 6th Feb 2024 but nothing since? 
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all!
    More general question but does anyone know whether there was an outcome for Lipton v BA? The Supreme Court website shows a hearing was held on 6th Feb 2024 but nothing since? 
    The hearing has been had, there's currently no date for the judgement to be given
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback