Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Jakester1975
    Options
    We landed 3hrs and 5 minutes past our intended time of arrival. We were given no reason from the airline on why we were being delayed. Do you think it is worth continuing this?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you think it is worth continuing this?

111KAB has already replied to your previous post. If you want to claim, speak to a no win no fee firm or start doing lots of reading of the FAQs and Vauban's excellent new summary: "Comments Needed: Draft Guide to Claiming Flight Delay Compensation".
  • prydeannie
    Options
    We had a 16 hour delay from Sharm El Sheikh to Manchester with Thomson Airways last month. Apparently the plane coming to get us had a bird strike on take off so they landed in Birmingham. There was another plane to come for us but the crew went over their hours and had to rest before they could come for us. I know the bird strike is not their fault but can I make a claim because of the crew's hours? I sent in a letter using the template about 6 weeks ago but haven't heard back from them. Should I wait to hear from them, write to them again, or take it to the CAA?

Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    prydeannie - do not take to the CAA - your time is much better spent reading this thread >http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5042802
  • Kirium
    Options
    Hi, I would be grateful for some advice. Our outbound flight was delayed and as such we incurred an "after hours" charge when we picked up our rental car. The Goldcar (rental company) rep advised us we could claim back the 40 euros from the airline. We have contacted Monarch who have informed us that they are not liable for this charge under EU Regulation 261 ?
    Please advise who should be paying this bill, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be me.

Thanks in advance, Matt
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kirium wrote: »
    Please advise who should be paying this bill, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be me.

Consequential losses are not covered.
    Monarch have been known to make a gesture of goodwill.
    261/2004 only 'activates' when arrival delay is 3 hours+.
  • princessmoneysaver
    Options
    Having put a straightforward claim in myself to Virgin I'm now looking for a friend who wants to put a claim in for Qatar airlines. Can someone help with details what to send, where to send etc for this company as I can't find anything online. Thank you.
    2023 wins - Rice Krispies, Avene Micellar Gel, Barbie Toy, £20 Apple Gift Card, KFC 6 piece bargain bucket, Chloe Nomade perfume, Barbie Toy (second one), Sanctuary Spa Sleep Balm, E45 Moisturising Lotion, Trolls Hamper, 12 Tonie Characters, Sure deodorant, Good Home Utensil holder, £5 Costa Gift Card, Neutrogena Micellar Jelly, Soap & Glory Mascara, Persil capsules,  
  • Mrs_Goz
    Options
    Hi we have just returned from Orlando from a holiday booked through Virgin Holidays but we had BA flights. Going was fine but our return was a nightmare. To start with Virgin had told us we could book in for our return at Downtown Disney, on turning up there we were told it was only for people flying Virgin Atlantic, we then had to scrap our plans for a last few hours in Disney and go straight to the airport. BA then informed us that if we had not checked in before getting to the airport we were unlikely to be getting on the flight. It seemed that two aircraft had technical problems and had been replaced with smaller aircraft.
    We were transferred to a Virgin flight to Manchester, a BA flight to Heathrow and then a coach transfer to Gatwick where our car was. Not ideal but at least we were on our way until Manchester and although our bags were on the plane we had been 'off loaded' with no explanation.
    Bottom line is we should have been at Gatwick at 7am but didn't get there until 7.45pm
    We were given £10 each in food vouchers at Manchester and there was myself, my husband and two children aged 15 & 12.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Goz wrote: »
    Hi we have just returned from Orlando from a holiday booked through Virgin Holidays but we had BA flights. Going was fine but our return was a nightmare. To start with Virgin had told us we could book in for our return at Downtown Disney, on turning up there we were told it was only for people flying Virgin Atlantic, we then had to scrap our plans for a last few hours in Disney and go straight to the airport. BA then informed us that if we had not checked in before getting to the airport we were unlikely to be getting on the flight. It seemed that two aircraft had technical problems and had been replaced with smaller aircraft.
    We were transferred to a Virgin flight to Manchester, a BA flight to Heathrow and then a coach transfer to Gatwick where our car was. Not ideal but at least we were on our way until Manchester and although our bags were on the plane we had been 'off loaded' with no explanation.
    Bottom line is we should have been at Gatwick at 7am but didn't get there until 7.45pm
    We were given £10 each in food vouchers at Manchester and there was myself, my husband and two children aged 15 & 12.

It sounds like you have a claim for Denied Boarding so should be a straightforward €600 each claim
    The BA thread is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384701
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having put a straightforward claim in myself to Virgin I'm now looking for a friend who wants to put a claim in for Qatar airlines. Can someone help with details what to send, where to send etc for this company as I can't find anything online. Thank you.

It shouldn't be any different from what you have done for your Virgin claim but it's all in the FAQs and Vauban's comprehensive guide posted recently.

Qatar Airways contact details are on their website.

If you need to post again, please do so on the relevant thread.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback