Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to be dim but I can't see it either. What do you mean by "the home page"?
    JJ

Home page http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do
    You will see a box on the right that shows
    Flight Status and 3 tabs; by flight, by airport, by route

once you have registered and logged in you can complete details in these boxes including changing the date into the past
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re Huzar - from Bott & Co - I will add to Huzar thread as well ....

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=17cc323d39b9bce5e106cc4f0&id=5398000464&e=2bbccbfa17
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Markaw14
    Options
    Hi all, I drew the short straw to arrange a holiday for myself, my wife, my Mum & Dad (mid/late 70s!), my daughter and her partner to Africa to spend some time with my son who is training out there.

Flights were booked with Netfilights, Swiss to Zurich and then on to Jo-burg then South African to Richards Bay.

Flight from BHX to Zurich no problem, arrived to find that the boards were tilling us the next flight had been cancelled! Finally arrived in Jo-burg 8 hrs 49 mins late and thus missed our SA flight. Another night in a crappy airport hotel and the loss of a whole day with our son!

First compensation letter resulted in the old “extraordinary Circumstances” excuse caused by mechanical difficulties with a door seal resulting in the cancellation and offered £150/person in vouchers as compensation. Second letter from me quoting Jet2 v Huzar and others resulted in a very curt email claiming that they had "miss-stated" that the flight was cancelled, and that it was actually delayed! They also state that they are "reserving any action pending the result of Jet 2's petition for an appeal. They also say that they consider the matter closed.
    I have summarised to keep it brief.

My question(s);
    How long should I play this game of ping pong?
    Should I take their changing of their story as an indication that they don't actually know what happened or that they are just stalling to avoid paying.
    What should my next action be?
    Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Markaw14 wrote: »
    What should my next action be?

have a read of this thread where you will find some others experiences with Swiss http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4445431

Huzar thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4815669

You are likely to need to go to court either by yourself or through a nwnf http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4507307
  • susieq29
    Options
    I have been told by Thomas Cook that the flight delay in my case was caused by a bird flying into one of the engines and therefore compensation would not be payable.
    Obviously I can understand that the airline could not predict such a thing happening. But on the other hand surely this is something that does happen to airlines. Does anyone think I can pursue this further?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IF that is true then they are right but I wouldn't take their word for it. I would ask for confirmation. It may well be that there is a record somewhere. Others who are more knowledgeable than I am may suggest a place to look.
  • 111KAB
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bird strikes should be reported particularly if there is turbine/engine damage. The date and flight number may assist with regard to checking although the best source (other than TC themselves who are unlikely to divulge if not bird strike damage) are the CAA who are funded by the airlines anyway!
  • stuartbe31
    Options
    I am having problems with Thomas Cook demanding invoices and boarding cards from 2009. I can show them I paid for the flight and can provide intimate details that I was checked in and ON it before the near 24 hour delay.

They can find every booking I have ever made with them apart from this one. Or are choosing not to. They acknowledge the booking now but won't give me an invoice.

Given the details I have does anyone think it's worth pursuing through the small claims court? I have no confidence in the ombudsman, given it will the one in Cyprus.

Thanks
  • 111KAB
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stuartbe31 wrote: »
    I am having problems with Thomas Cook demanding invoices and boarding cards from 2009. I can show them I paid for the flight and can provide intimate details that I was checked in and ON it before the near 24 hour delay.

They can find every booking I have ever made with them apart from this one. Or are choosing not to. They acknowledge the booking now but won't give me an invoice.

Given the details I have does anyone think it's worth pursuing through the small claims court? I have no confidence in the ombudsman, given it will the one in Cyprus.

Thanks

As it is a delay from 2009 you are probably going to have to do a small claims yourself. If they acknowledge the booking then for the sake of completeness I would pay £10 for a SAR - that way they will know you mean business plus you will have the info ready should the matter go to court. If you don't want to spend £10 I think you have enough info plus do not discount the Cypriot NEB - any support (even though they have no jurisdiction) may well help your case.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback