Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Kiara
    Options
    Hi We booked a package holiday with Thomas Cook May 10th 2014 and had a 6 hour delay out of Newcastle.
    Our flight was changed a couple of weeks before to Smartlynx and the crew etc would still be Thomas cook.

I tried for compensation via Thomas Cook and then ABTA and was told it was not Thomas Cook's responsibility as as soon as we checked in we were under Smartlynx Airlines care.

We got to the airport ar 5am for a 7am flight and were told that we had a small delay until 7.30.
    Next update came about 9.30 am to say they had a hydrolics problem with the aircraft and the part was coming in from Stanstead.

Next we were given a voucher of £5.00 each and I felt very ill as I am Diabetic and a nervous flyer and had a Hypoglycaemic episode and we rushed to get something to eat.
    It cost us £16 each for me to have scrambled egg on toast and my Husband a basic breakfast. we also had 2 coffees and total was more than £40. so £30 over the voucher but I would have passed out if I had no food.

We went to the serviceair desk to be told the part wont make it so another plane would replace it and we got on the plane about 1pm ish. On the flight there was no entertainment, nothing much to buy that my wife could eat and we were given 1 drink free.
    We were then told we would have to divert to Faro airport to refuel, yet another delay!
    The staff on the plane were getting lots of complaints and told everyone we should be grateful as they the crew were over their flying hours and had only agreed to do the flight as there was a wedding party on board. There was no entertainment on board i.e no screen with anything not even radio.
    We eventually got there to Furteventura and were told we had to wait another 45 mins as we had to share the bus with the Manchester flight.
    I by this time felt so very ill again, we had lost the first day of our all inclusive holiday and I was ill for the following 3 days as it takes 3 days for my levels to balance again. I had to stay in my room being either sick or sleeping.
    We complained the next day to the rep at the welcome meeting and filled in the complaint form.

We arrived home and heard nothing so via twitter asked Thomas Cook what to do and were told the in resort complaint does not count we had to submit a new one so did. Thomas cook said we were not entitled to any compensation. We complained to Thomas cook airlines and were told the same and ABTA has just told us to start over with a complaint to Smatrlynx Airways.

I can not find an address to complain to. and they are not in the links for airlines on the flight delay page so have no idea what to do now.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kiara wrote: »
    I can not find an address to complain to. and they are not in the links for airlines on the flight delay page so have no idea what to do now.

http://smart-lynx.com/?Doc=5
  • Kiara
    Options
    Thanks for the above but I have tried an email to ask if this is the e-mail address for complaints and received nothing back. I sent the complaint anyway but have had no reply or acknowledgement of my e-mail so assumed I must need another address.
    Thanks though
    Regards Kiara
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kiara wrote: »
    I tried for compensation via Thomas Cook and then ABTA and was told it was not Thomas Cook's responsibility as as soon as we checked in we were under Smartlynx Airlines care.

It's one thing taking a risk booking yourself on some random small eastern european airline but it's shocking that TC would use them.
  • razorsedge
    razorsedge Posts: 344 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2014 at 1:17PM
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    Bird strikes should be reported particularly if there is turbine/engine damage. The date and flight number may assist with regard to checking although the best source (other than TC themselves who are unlikely to divulge if not bird strike damage) are the CAA who are funded by the airlines anyway!

You can request Birdstrike information from the CAA using a Freedom Of Information request. The people dealing with these requests I have found to be generally more helpful than those dealing with airline complaints.

Fill in the online FOI request form here:
    http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=286&pagetype=65&appid=24

Your request should be along the lines of
    "Please provide all information recorded by the CAA regarding Birdstrikes reported to the CAA during the month of 'month' in the year 'year'."

You should receive back in a couple of weeks some documents detailing dates, times, locations and aircraft types that had birdstrike incidents. You will not, however, get the airline involved but if you know when and where it happened, that is not such a problem.

Birdstrikes causing damage should be reported and many that do not cause damage are also reported.
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • Kiara
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    It's one thing taking a risk booking yourself on some random small eastern european airline but it's shocking that TC would use them.

Thomas Cook are using them all the time from Newcastle and in their e-mail to advise of the change they make out that everything will be the same. I agree shocking
  • staceypond
    Options
    Hi all
    I need some guidance. I have recently put a claim in for a flight delay, as my flight with monarch was delayed just over 8 hours. I used the template letter on here. They have got back to me and said that the case with jet2 is under process of being appealed and therefore they cannot make a decision until it is back in court in October. I am a bit confused, surely if the currently law states they need to pay compensation they cant put it of. Not sure where to go for advice.
  • Jakester1975
    Options
    Hello I have just recently returned from holiday and our flight was delayed for 3 hours. The airline was BH Air. Can we claim against this airlines for delays.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I understand BH Air is a Bulgarian airline based in Sofia so in theory yes you could claim. Don't forget your arrival delay has to be 180 minutes + plus the reason for your delay has a distinct bearing on any claim/court action. Claiming against BH is not going to be easy given their location.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback