We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bank Charges Success Stories II

Options

Comments

• Chris_Dyson
    Options
    Barclays Bank
    Claimed £3040
    Received £2280
    I unfortunately had an unauthorised overdraft. Living on benefits, i just couldnt get into the black. One week out of £135 in benefit they took £60. I thought this is it, go for it. Thankyou so much. It was a lot easier than I thought I couldnt have done it without this site. Chris Dyson
  • manhater
    manhater Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    BANK: HALIFAX

AMOUNT CLAIMED: £4,009.00 (WITHOUT INTEREST)
    AMOUNT RECEIVED: £5,213.40(WITH INTEREST)

April 19th Made a phone call to Halifax to request statements
    April 26th Received statements
    April 26th Sent 1st letter
    May 4th Received letter from Halifax saying looking into my complaint
    May 9th Hand delivered to local branch 2nd letter, couldnt afford to post
    May 21st Rang bank tried to negotiate a deal they refused
    May 25th Started court proceedings at local county court
    June 1st Papers served to Halifax
    June 9th Received letter of acknowledgement, Halifax going to defend claim
    June 19th Received letter saying without admission of liability they will reimburse me £4,009.00 plus £1,213.40 interest totalling £5,213.40 within 5 days

A big thanks to all who answered my postings for help, without you and this site for guidance i dont think i could have done it.

Halifax has charged me at least another 4x£39.00 since this claim started so i will be starting all over again.

I also requested statements for my other account at the same time as this success account and am still waiting for the statements, although they tell me they are in the post on at least 10 occasions.
  • needs123
    Options
    LLoydstb
    claimed £2800 plus court charges
    Received - £2763
    Claim made last december, went to court in March, moved from Northhamton to local court, returned allocation questionaire before said date to avoid case being dismissed, settled by payment into bank account on 7 june before court date even set. Haven't had a settlement letter to date but expect one this week. :T Yippee! worth persuing.
  • Samdee
    Options
    Bank - Natwest
    Amount Claimed - £1759
    Amount Paid - £1759

Hi All,
    I followed the steps given on this site, had a reply with all my statements, then I asked for the amount to be repaid, had a letter saying that they were looking into it. I heard nothing from them, so I wrote another letter saying they have 14 days in which to pay back the full amount or I would be taking it to court. Heard nothing again, then a week after I should have filed in court (which I had not done yet) I received a letter saying they would repay me the total amount and I still have my full account facilities to use. Great News !!!!!!!!
  • Rocca78
    Rocca78 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: HSBC
    Amount claimed: 1605.83
    Amount offered: 1356.75

I have literally just received my offer this morning!! I'm sooooo chuffed!!

I got all my statements online and worked out my charges, including interest, on the 16th April 07 and sent my first letter to their Head Office on the same day.

Recieved usual reply stating they were doing investigations and the timescale was 8 weeks. I forgot all about sending the 2nd letter threatening court action (been so busy at work).

I stopped my paper statements about a month ago so I thought it was strange that I had got a letter from HSBC, so I opened it and low and behold an offer was inside for my charges!

All in all, with no extra pressure techniques, it took about 2 months from start to finish!

I am currently overdrawn by about £800 and they are going to credit my account in the next 14 days, so in theory it will clear my overdraft - I wonder if they would have paid up so promptly if I hadn't have been overdrawn????

Well I'm chuffed to bits anyhow! :T
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Halifax
    amount claimed £2630
    amount paid £2600
    took 4 weeks in all!! just waiting for the money.
    thanks to everyone on here your advise was truly valuable
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • jackiebrady
    Options
    Bank: Intellient finance (Halifax)
    Amount claimed: £1331.96
    Amount Won: £1331.96

The templates were really great. I had to go all the way to court, I even had to ask for a judgement to be made because the bank hadn't done anything, however the day after I was sent a letter offering me the full amount. The bank were slow to pay up but the money is now in my account.
    Points to remember:
    Sue the parent bank, ie Halifax not Intelligent finance right from the start.
    wait for the money to hit your account before stopping the court proceedings.
  • Daydreamer
    Daydreamer Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    BANK: HSBC
    AMMOUNT RECLAIMED: £1.330.38 including interest.
    AMMOUNT THEY PAID: £998.75 (money not quite in account yet!)
    THE STORY::rotfl:

Wrote first letter claiming money on 8th MAY 2007. Typically they ignored me! Wrote 2nd letter threatening action on 30th MAY 2007 and telling them that "I was quite frankly shocked that an organisation of there size had failed to reply to my letter of 8th MAY!" Well that seem to do something because got a "without prejudice" letter on 15th JUNE 2007 offering £998.75 (cheap skates could have added £1.25 and made it £1000!) Have sent form back excepting the offer and should have money in account over next few weeks. Have moved to Alliance and Leceister (6.5% interest on current account instead of HSBC's 0.1%!!) so once I have my money in my old HSBC account I am shutting it down and moving on!! :rotfl:

DON'T LET THEM GET YOU DOWN! Keep claiming they are still paying out coz they know they are in the wrong!!

Thank you Martin for making my life a little easier!

Daydreaming of a debt free life!
  • ROO79_2
    Options
    BANK: HSBC
    AMOUNT RECLAIMED: £2500
    AMOUNT THEY PAID: £2200

The Story:
    Wasn't going to claim anything back, but in the last 6 months HSBC has displayed the worst levels of customer service I have ever seen. Both at my local branch (change of staff) and over the phone (Mumbai branch).
    I started the ball rolling at the end of April and waited the full 40 days for them to send out my old statements. I did send a cheque for £10 but this was sent back with my statements, as a gesture of goodwill.
    I sent my first letter demanding repayment in Mid- May. This was duly ignored, so after 14 days I sent a further letter warning of court action.
    A further 14 days passed without acknowledgement and I was about to start the ball rolling for court on day 16, when the postie brought me a present!
    The letter was amusing as it stated in the first paragraph that I would stand no chance against them in court and would lose outright. In the next paragraph they said they didn't want a fight with a customer and offered me £2200 without prejudice.

Stand your ground and you will win.
  • bayjomam
    bayjomam Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Claimed £1,186.56
    PLUS
    Court Costs - £120

1st letter requesting statements with £10 chq sent -6th March 2007
    Had to ring them up as they went over the 40 days. Was told no letter had been recived from me but changed their tune when I said the £10 cheque had been cashed!!!! They old me I would receive a list of the charges in next 3 days....I did.
    Sent off 2nd letter on 21st April asking for my money back based on charges on that list which totalled £888 and that I wanted £298.56 in interest -
    TOTAL CLAIM £1,186.56.
    Got letter off Halifax dated 25th April saying "sorry you are unhappy with the charges, we will carry out a full investigation" blah blah blaaaaaahhh
    Got another letter off Halifax dated 27th April saying "the information you have requested has now been ordered"!!!!! 2 weeks later the statements arrived!
    Sent letter threating court action on 5th May 2007 and heard nowt back from Halifax til 15th May saying "we are still investigating your complaint.........you will receive a response no later than 20th June" .
    Filed MCOL on 21st May - deemed served on 26th May.
    Halifax filed Acknowledgemnt (this buys them 28 days instead of 14!!) saying they will defend whole claim.
    Was starting to panic a bit as I was going on hols around abotuthe time they were due to defend.
    A N Y W A Y
    They didn't defend. Got letter on 15th June giving usual shpeel "without admission of liability" etc. etc. here is your dosh we diddled you out of when you were skint petal. I say thank you please luv. Money was put into my bank the same day as their letter was posted!!

Happy holidays to me yeeee haaaaaa.

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone on this site for the advice and you too Martin. You are complete stars :beer:

P.S. Halifax are complete pains to get money out of but don't ever give up, even though you may feel its not worth the hassle IT SOOOO IS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport