We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bank Charges Success Stories II

Options

Comments

• jrobinson4
    jrobinson4 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Woolwich
    Amount Claimed:5274
    Amount Settled: £4344

Request for statements: 10th April
    1st request letter sent: 9th May
    2nd request letter sent: 24th May
    Settlement agreed: 8th June
    Money in bank : 18th June

Martin and team can't thank you enough. Amazing feeling to have that money in the bank in one go and it's not a loan to be paid back!!!

Jo

PS Woolwich didn't even charge for statements so I got over £4000 for the cost of 3 letters!!!
    Bank Charges - MCOL – LTSB Current Account £4,603.92 / Settled £5,680.76 /Financial Ombudsman – LTSB £11,715.84
    PPI - Debenhams / Settled - £2243.20
    We're in the money!!!:T :beer:
  • Stu40
    Stu40 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Bank: NatWest
    Amount claimed: £456.00
    Amount received: £456.00

Sent off first letter (I'm one of those people who keep their statements so didn't have to order copies first) with schedule of charges and request for payment.

Received a reply - the "we're looking into it" one - on the 14th day after.
    Prepared the Letter Before Action, then phoned customer relations - they gave me the usual stuff about having 56 days to respond...

I decided that since I wasn't desperate for the money I'd give them their 56 days and let them have plenty of rope to hang themselves with if push came to shove, so I didn't send the second letter.

Right on the 56th day I received the form letter saying that "we do not agree with the basis of your complaint..." and all that guff, but "as a gesture of goodwill...". In short, I was offered what I was claiming.

Sent the acceptance form back the very same day (6th June 2007). Of course I made the mistake of using the supplied envelope rather than sending it recorded delivery as others have done. Never mind - a follow up phone call confirmed that my acceptance was "on the system" awaiting processing.

Today the money appeared in my account! Victory!

Many thanks to all those on this site who have shown that it is indeed possible to take on these faceless organizations and *win*.
  • UPTONFC
    Options
    Barclays Bank
    Amount Claimed £1600
    Amount Receives £1245

Sent First letter and 8 weeks later offer of £1245 within 10 days which i accepted. The letter said we do not agree however as a gesture of goodwill we will offer this in full and final settlemant of this claim. What a result keep up the good work and THANKS again
    :beer: :j
  • spillers_2
    Options
    Bank;Birmingham Midshire
    amount reclaimed:£715.00
    amount they paid:£695.00

from sending for my statements and getting an offer it took only 3 weeks.wish
    the abbey where as quick.
  • appsdba
    Options
    MBNA goodwill offer of £1000 after a 1400 claim
    Virgin £500

Royal Bank of Scotland
    Claimed £4700
    Recieved an offer of £4352

took 2 months...many thanks to all also good luck to everyone else
  • shopkeeper12
    Options
    GE MONEY

Laura Ashley Card Amount claimed £60 recieved £60

Debenhams Card Claimed £105 recieved £105...

Thank you for all of the Help ....
  • appsdba
    Options
    to my earlier one, MBNA and Virgin paid up after letter, Royal Bank I got to court with, they made the offer within the 2 weeks of me issuing proceedings, as i live in hull i issued through moneyclaim.gov
    got home on the weekend an RBS envelope waiting, read the first page of disclaimers with a sinking heart, second page was the offer

I am accepting my claim should have been over £5000 but kept it below so as to go to small claims, also i issued it against my local bank using the argument that all letters and my statements had there address on

good luck to everyone ... keep going !!!!!!
  • lottie28
    Options
    Bank: HSBC
    Amount Reclaimed £1800
    Amount they Paid: £1660
    Story:

Two letters to the bank, took about 3 months all together to go through. I did have a separate bank account just in case. I wrote to HSBC a second to shivvy them along a wee bit and it took two weeks to hit my account, but now I have paid off overdraft and will be going to more ethical bank such as coop or smile.
    Oh and the letter they wrote was SLIGHLTY misleading and could have resulted in my throwing the letter in the bin had I not read it carefully. CLever wording so watch out!!:T
    Thanks for your help and advice Martin.
  • EssexGuy_2
    EssexGuy_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Success!! :beer:

Bank : Alliance & Leicester Plc
    Claimed : £2,845 (+change)
    They paid : All of it! (just waiting for cheque from court)

Used up all of the pro-forma letters on the website and eventually had to go through MCOL. However they did not acknowledge the claim in time (one day too late:rotfl: ) and I had a warrant issued.

Court says I should have the money in my account by end of June which means the entire process from start to finish took about 4 months. Well worth the wait!

Many thanks for all the tips Martin, same goes for all of you helpful folk on the forums too!
  • bfc_1882
    bfc_1882 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    BANK - Natwest

AMOUNT ASKED FOR - £1461

AMOUNT OFFERED - £1461

I am one of the lucky ones who only sent one letter and got offered the full amount direct to my account!

They havent threatened to close my account just gave me some handy leaflets on running my finances without charges - thanks!!

Most of our charges were built up from when our baby had to have heart surgery and cash was mega tight so this money is giving us a much needed holiday abroad!!

Thankyou to Martin Lewis and everyone on this site for all the help and advice you have given!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport