We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bank Charges Success Stories II

Options

Comments

• kristythomas
    Options
    Bank; First Direct
    Amount Claimed; £415
    Amount received; £415

Sent off template letter a along with a cheque. Cheque was sent back to me as they said they did not need it. Received statements within a week.

Sent off next letter with a table setting out the costs, two weeks later received a letter offering me the full amount back.

Took about 4 weeks in total, would have been quicker had i pulled my finger out !

Easy

Thanks Martin.
  • fruityjellybean
    Options
    Halifax Bank

Amount Claimed : £578 Charges + £215.86 Interest

Amount Recieved :£500

Requested statements for my Halifax account at the end of march, sent a letter along with a £10 cheque , which they cashed and the statements arrived 14 days later.
    Sent first letter requesting charges and interest on 12th April stating they had 14 days to respond.
    Recieved usual reply we have 8 weeks etc
    Sent second letter 27th April saying i had not had a satisfactory response giving them another 14 days then going to court.
    Recieved second letter stating same as first , 8 weeks etc
    Decided to wait as couldn't afford court ,after 8 weeks was up ,recieved the your getting nothing letter, so telephoned them and said i was preparing court as we spoke, the following day got an offer for £289 , phoned again saying this offer was unacceptable and the offer was upped to £450 ,phoned again today and spoke to someone else and told the most i could have was £500 ,so i have settled for that.
    Not bad for the price of 2 stamps and 3 phone calls.

There has been no mention of account being closed but they have cut my credit card limit right down to the amount i owe on it ( its now £2000 less than it was) but i wont be using it again anyway HA!.

To everyone out there dont give up , its your money after all so claim back whats rightfully yours.
    Thanks to everyone on this sight i couldnt of done it without you.
  • swimityswim
    swimityswim Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: Barclaycard
    Amount Claimed: £775
    Amount Received: £307

Didnt actually accept £307, it was just refunded into my account (difference between charge and oft recommendation). I know I should take them to court for the rest, but the £307 has wiped out my debt with them so Im happy!

Bank: Natwest
    Amount Claimed: £4300
    Amount Received: £4300!!

Decided to wait the banks 8 weeks with this one, definitely alot less stressful than going through mcol!
  • raudi
    raudi Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    WOOLWICH

Today received offer of:
    Single account £3985 :j
    Joint account £3815 :j

Have accepted both offers as this was only short by £1k each and the money will come in handy!

Process took from 23rd March.... Chased on 23rd May after numerous calls/letters requesting statements... New complaint was raisied on 23rd so sorted in a few weeks!! Oh and these are goodwill offers as they were correct to charge me this amount

Capital One (closed account)

Recieved £136 for the price of a call

Virgin Credit Card

Received offer of £360 today as goodwill gesture, have accepted could go to court for more but this is fine

MARTIN i could kiss you!! Just need to sort my old barclaycard out now!
    Thanks Raudi x

Woolwich - x 2 accounts! - Received £7800. Virgin Credit - Received £360. Capital one - Recieved £136
    :money: Thanks for this informative site!!!
  • tiredparents
    Options
    Bank: First Direct
    Amount Reclaimed:£1425.99 (inc interest) £1187.50 (without)
    Amount they paid: £1030.00
    The story:Sent first letter 24th May with £10 cheque for statements they didn't want the cheque for statements sent the statements back within about 2 weeks ttted up charges very simply with the help of Martin's calculator (many thanks!) sent the letter off with the charges outlined on the 12th June received the letter this morning saying no responsibilty admitted blah, blah but would pay us back £1030.00. So THANK YOU very much to this website, shall crack open a bottle to celebrate !!
  • Ten_Bob_2
    Options
    Bank: Woolwich OpenPlan (Barclays)
    Amount Claimed: £549.95 (£469.50 + £80.45 interest)
    Amount Received: £469.50

I started this off 30 January 2007. On 7th April I claimed the above.
    Within 2 weeks Barclays replied with an offer of £469.50 (they didn't mention the interest).

I accepted - within 10 days they had paid £469.50 into OpenPlan A/C.
    As advised I did open a new account (LloydsTSB) in December, just in case. But Barclays haven't closed the account down - however I will shortly!

:T Thank you Martin :rotfl:

:money:
  • Pudseybear_2
    Options
    NATWEST Bank

Amount Claimed £1263 plus Interest
    Money Recieved £1263 but not the interest

I excepted the offer without the interest as I felt no need to take it further. The whole process took about 10 weeks. I was just about to sort out the 3rd letter threatening to take the bank to court when the offer came....they paid 5 days after returning my signed claim form

Many thanks for this website......without it we wouldnt be going on a fantastic family holiday!!
  • nephasu
    nephasu Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Many Thanks to all at money saving I did exactly what was said and won £3275.00 they offered the full amount.Mr Lewis deserves an MBE for his service to us the little people i cannot thank him enough and i am addicted to the site and i have learnt so much.:T :money: you have so many friends. xxxxxxx susan[/B]
  • bigbadjohn_2
    Options
    What can i say yah ha.THANK YOU and THANK YOU again.
    Just got home from a hard days work waiting to see bills in the litter box and there was a big letter from the R B S.
    They say we believe the charges are fair,reasonable and transparent.
    However, having reviewed your case and as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liabilty or error,in this instance we are prepared to offer the amount of £5620.00 .
    Not bad for two letters:money: :T :T :T :T :A

Bank Royal Bank of Scotland
    Amount Claimed: £5620.00
    Amount Received £5620.00

To everyone out there dont give up ten mins work

THANK YOU everyone at money saving expert
  • bigbadjohn_2
    Options
    What can i say yah ha.THANK YOU and THANK YOU again.
    Just got home from a hard days work waiting to see bills in the litter box and there was a big letter from the R B S.
    They say we believe the charges are fair,reasonable and transparent.
    However, having reviewed your case and as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liabilty or error,in this instance we are prepared to offer the amount of £5620.00 .
    Not bad for two letters:money: :T :T :T :T :A

Bank Royal Bank of Scotland
    Amount Claimed: £5620.00
    Amount Received £5620.00

To everyone out there dont give up ten mins work

THANK YOU everyone at money saving expert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing