Comments

• biglugs
    biglugs Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bank - HSBC
    Amount Claimed - £3,779.50 plus £860 interest
    Amount Received - £3,150

Earlier this year HSBC just closed my brother's current account with no warning. I suggested we look at his bank charges and sent off the initial statement request on 3 March.
    Total bank charges added up to £3779.50.
    Sent letter demanding refund plus interest on 24 April
    Sent follow up letter threatening court action on 8 May
    Did nothing else (waiting for the 8 week deadline for complaints to pass)
    He got a letter today offering £3,150 in settlement which he is going to accept.
    WAHOOO WAHOO WAHOO!!!!!!!
    Top result without even having to go to court, and my brother is "over the moon". Now he can pay off the HSBC loan which they passed to a debt collection agency when they closed his account!!! (I feel an Ombudsman complaint coming on....)
    You don't get medals for sitting in the trenches.
  • pennychef
    Options
    Just to let you know we claimed back charges from Barclays and they don't charge the £10 fee for your statements. Used Martin's letter templates and within a couple of months we had a letter offering us £1,400 against a claim for £1,890. We accepted their offer. Result! Thanks Martin.:j
  • pearlyblue
    Options
    Bank : Halifax
    Amount Reclaimed : £1800 + £ 120 Court Fees
    Amount Recieved : £1920

March 30th
    Wrote to them using Martin's template enclosing £10 cheque to pay for copies of our bank statements since we've been with them ( 4 years ), They returned the cheque saying they'd be in touch, now all we had to do was wait 40 days. In the meantime, 85 separate envelopes containing statements landed on our doorstep ( Poor Postie ) On the 41st day, we recieved a letter from them saying that all the charges were justifiable. We then wrote to them saying that we were going to take them to court. Few days later, they wrote to us offering £905 as a goodwill gesture, which of course we refused. We then took them to court and now asked for the above amount plus fees, which they had 2 weeks to reply.
    July 14th
    Recieved a letter saying that they were reimbursing us the full amount, although they were not admitting liability, checked our bank statement on-line and lo and behold it was credited that morning.
    So Thank You :money: for all your advice and help :j :j

threadbanner.gif
    [/quote]
  • DDB_3
    DDB_3 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bank: LLoyds
    Amount Claimed: £775
    Paid: £650

Started claim process in Jan 07. Got schedule of charges using DPA request then sent first letter claiming without interest. Got reply saying no so sent 2nd letter threatening court. Didnt get reply within 14 day time limit so I sent another letter, partly made up using the template asking for a settlement. I only did this as it was clear that the first reply was a generic one and was obvious that they hadnt looked at my case individually. I mentioned this and asked for £550. Got reply stating that as a goodwill gesture blah blah blah. Offered me £650 which I have accepted and am now waiting for. Dont be put off and read their replies carefully.
  • rmhmthai_2
    Options
    Bank: Lloyds Bank
    Claimed:£3200
    Won:£3455

After numuerous letters over 3 months I decided to take lloyds to court, did it online nice and easy. Was getting worried about going to court, but i recieved a settlement letter in the post. Including my court costs and additional interest!!!! :T :j
  • Scaredandindebt
    Options
    <table id="post5747780" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_5747780">Bank: Royal Bank of Scotland
    Amount Claimed: £1,276
    Paid: £1,276

Got my 6yrs bank statments in October 2006. Couldn't believe it came to over £1k !!! Anyway, I claimed all charges (including those of only £10 which I'd previously been advised would not be refunded)...

Sent off first letter November 2006 which they claim they never got (after 8 weeks of enquiring!!):mad: Sent of another 2 (again they claimed they never got!!! - the recorded delivery kept saying that they hadn't been accepted - hmmmmm.

Anyway - eventually took a copy into the branch and they promised to forward onto the Edinburgh customer services in June.

Phone in June - they said (and I quote) - "since your claim relates entirely to penalties and not fees we will refund the entire balance" :T

Be patient - they are overwhelmed with claims. Oh, and do call the Edinburgh customer services for an update - they're really nice to you.

</td></tr><tr><td class="alt2">user_offline.gifreport.gif </td> <td class="alt1" align="right"> <!-- controls --> <!-- post thank you hack --> <script type="text/javascript"> <!-- function post_thanks_give_5747780() !! do_thanks_button = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_button.onreadystatechange(thanks_button_Done_5747780) do_thanks_button.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks_button_ajax&p=5747780') do_thanks_add = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_add.onreadystatechange(thanks_add_Done_5747780) do_thanks_add.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks_add_ajax&p=5747780') } function thanks_button_Done_5747780() !! if (do_thanks_button.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_button.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_button_5747780').innerHTML = do_thanks_button.handler.responseText } } function thanks_add_Done_5747780() !! if (do_thanks_add.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_add.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_box_5747780').innerHTML = do_thanks_add.handler.responseText } } function post_thanks_remove_all_5747780() !! do_thanks_button = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_button.onreadystatechange(thanks_button_Done_5747780) do_thanks_button.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks_button_add_ajax&p=5747780') do_thanks_remove_all = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_remove_all.onreadystatechange(thanks_remove_all_Done_5747780) do_thanks_remove_all.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks_remove_all_ajax&p=5747780') } function thanks_remove_all_Done_5747780() !! if (do_thanks_remove_all.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_remove_all.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_box_5747780').innerHTML = do_thanks_remove_all.handler.responseText } } function post_thanks_remove_user_5747780() !! do_thanks_button = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_button.onreadystatechange(thanks_button_Done_5747780) do_thanks_button.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks_button_add_ajax&p=5747780') do_thanks_remove_user = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_remove_user.onreadystatechange(thanks_remove_user_Done_5747780) do_thanks_remove_user.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks_remove_user_ajax&p=5747780') } function thanks_remove_user_Done_5747780() !! if (do_thanks_remove_user.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_remove_user.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_box_5747780').innerHTML = do_thanks_remove_user.handler.responseText } } document.write(' post_thanks.gif'); //--> </script></td></tr></tbody></table>
    Debt at lightbulb moment: £44,220. Paid off to date: £27,634 (62%) :j
    Halifax CC (0% 10 months):
    £9,000; Zopa Loan = £7,586([STRIKE]36[/STRIKE] 16 payments to go) TOTAL = £16,586

• Tigercub_2
    Options
    Bank: Nat West
    Amount Reclaimed: 5450
    Amount they paid: 5450

The story: Downloaded your letters, asked for statements and sent £10 chq (which they cashed) few weeks later, statements arrived which I got stuck into right away. Amazed that I had incurred all these charges and got it back so easily. Sent off letter 2 asking for refund, Nat West said 6-8 wks needed. I didn't threaten court they made the offer yesterday (week 8) and I accepted. Thanks :money: :j
    Go on all you doubters...have a go. this man knows what he is talking about!!!

threadbanner.gif
    [/quote]
  • phookit2
    Options
    Bank HSBC
    Claimed £994.78
    Received £994.78
    First letter - 19th April
    Response after 12 days then nothing.

Tried ringing, constantly busy, then emailed them. Then again, then said "As you have failed to contact me within the 8 week time frame you are allowed I will have no option to proceed with a court hearing" 4 days later, I got an offer of £994.78 which i have accepted as it's the full amount.
    Thank you, thank you thank you, I couldn't have got this without your help. We are planning on getting married in Gibralter in 18 months so this is a nice start to the wedding fund!! We'll have a drink to Martin on our wedding night!
  • itwozntme
    itwozntme Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    It been a long hard slog, but now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have now taken my bank to court. The district judge didnt bother with the Q&A. Instead he has given the bank notice to put up or pay out.

If the defendant seeks to set asied the strike out, the defendant shall, with its application attach a schedule of ALL the cases where similar defence has been files and where they allowed the claim to go to trail and did not settle giving details of the action number, the court and the date of the adjudication by the court.

There be judgement for the claimant in the sum £3195 plus £120 costs totalling £3135.

Judgement to be paid on or before the 23rd July 2007

Thats where im opto with my claim, so only a week to go. If I dont get my money by that date, in will go the bailiffs.

Thanks to Martin and everyone who has contributed on this site.

Once Ive been paid out, I'll be taking them to court for a further £550 and follow that up with the credit card companies.

To all those still going on with your claim, stick at it.
  • veesmith
    Options
    Bank - GE Money (BHS store card)
    Claimed - £12 (late payment charge)
    Received - waiting for my next statement
    First letter - 27th June 2007
    Response - 10th July 2007
    I asked them to provide me a breakdown of the costs they had incurred because of my late payment (which I always pay off in full). About 2 weeks later I got a reply that as a gesture of goodwill they would refund the £12 charge. They also added that they do not intend to offend valued customers and apologised if they had. I'm pleased with that!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport