Bank Charges Success Stories II

Options

Comments

• Tabby_Kitten_2
    Options
    Bank: HSBC
    Amount Reclaimed: £535
    Amount they paid: £736.20
    The story: I sent my start letter of on the 9th of May & got a 'We will look into this... it may take up to 8 weeks to do so...' letter back a week later, sent my second letter off on the 19th of June & got a letter with the offer of £736.20 on the 12th July, have no idea why they have added another £201.20 onto the claim as have only had £50 charges in that time but am more than happy with it!! It now means I can pay off my overdraft once & for all & never be charged again!
    A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
  • Moneygrabber
    Options
    Claimed: £216
    Refunded: £108

Another success :beer: !!

Didn't receive any letter, just checked my online statement and they had refunded £108.

It's so easy reclaiming. Good luck everyone.

Again, a big Thank You to Martin and your team :money:
    :D

Successfully claimed so far:
    Co-op Credit card £75.00
    Cap One £200 for O/H
    Barclaycard: £108
    RBS: £290
    Cap One: £126
    HSBC: £338.50 for daughter.
  • brpwrdnsfrnzy
    Options
    Hurrah!

Bank: Barclays
    Claimed: £3115
    Offered: £2335

I'll be accepting this - need the cash - although I'm sure I'd be able to get more if I took it to court. (This was offered as a "goodwill gesture" after two letters)

Cheers,

Rich.
  • kazda
    kazda Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: LLoyds TSB
    Amount claimed:£1544.46
    Amount settled:£1773.94

Quite a long story as with everyone didn't expect to be posting this!

29 March wrote letter requesting charges received reply 42 days later.
    16 May recieved normal fob off letter.
    17 May sent LBA letter.
    12 June started MCOL.
    18 June defence by LLoyds.
    2 July transfered to local court.
    10 July recieved request for Particlars of Claim.
    11 July posted Particlars.
    15 July recieved two letters from SCAM

One saying going to defend and looking ahead...

The other full settlement offer of £1773.94 (including £220 court fees of which we only paid £100!).

:j :j :j :T :T :T :beer: :beer: :beer:

THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THIS SITE FOR TEMPLATE LETTERS, ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENT.

PS Just returned signed slip to SCAM waiting for payment now if they don't I'll be back on here!!!!

Kazda
  • andymc
    andymc Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: Lloyds Tsb
    Amount Owed: £1694.74
    Amount Paid: £1694.74

Took Lloyds TSB to court and won in June 2007. Took 2 months from the very start. Also taking Barclaycard to court on behalf of my wife, for £1029 (incl. costs). They're defending at the moment so I'm not sure what to do next, thank god for this site, as I can find out what to do. Also taking another 3 to court not for as much, but we feel if we're entitled to it then we should be able to get back every last penny of what is ours.
    I'll let you know how I get on, watch this space.
  • Mirandolina
    Options
    Bank: Halifax
    Amount Reclaimed: 1164.88
    Amount they paid: 1170.12

The story: Sent off letters downloaded from MSE along with print of Bank Charges Calculator, inc charges - £891 charges, £153.88 interest.
    Received letter giving them 4 weeks to reply. Got usual charges are lawful, blah blah.
    Sent 2nd template letter giving them 2 weeks notice of intention to take them to court. Phoned them on the day this ran out and they said they would escalate my claim.
    I opened up court action anyway through Moneyclaim online (£120). About a week later Halifax put £445.50 (exactly half the amount of charges) in my account. I phoned and said they had to either pay the amount in full (including interest and £120 moneyclaim fees) or take the £445.50 back out of my account. They said they would pay back all the charges I was claiming for and the £120 but not the interest. I refused this and said I'd go through the court process for the full amount. (This was a really tough decsion - I was so tempted to settle!)

Halifax acknowledged my Court claim just 1 day before the deadline and this gave them an extra 2 weeks to prepare a defence.
    A week later I had a letter from Halifax saying that it's not commerically viable for them to defend claim and for that reason they are paying all charges (£891), interest to date of settlement (£159.12) and moneyclaim fees (£120). By the time I had received the letter advising me of this decision, the money was in my account.

If I hadn't heard Martin talking about this on Jeremy Vine's show on Radio 2, I wouldn't have known I could get this money back. It was really easy to do using the template letters and bank charge calculator.
    Thanks MSE!!:money:
  • magpie1892
    magpie1892 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    yes i won,this is an update from last week.wraggs phoned me this mornig and offerd me £890.00 which i refused .they have just phoned me back and offerd me £1,500.i was claiming £1,900,so its a good result.a bit of advice for people with a court date,before you start your bundle ring the other side to see if they will settle,as i had already done my bundles and now i dont need them,so its worth a go before you start.it took me 4 days and a lot of stress and strain to do them
    many thanks to all on this site who have helped me and guided me over the last few months especially mimi you are a star
  • coops1947
    Options
    Claimed £3250 Won full amount plus court costs.
    TIP: We had the HMCS on-line calim defended and the case moved to local court (Brighton) LTSB entered a defence based on " claim embarrassing and not particularised" which worried me until I discovered it is a standard defence and loads of people have had this tactic from LTSB so... there is a letter on the CAG website in the Lloyds TSB forum under "how to answer claim too embarrassing defence" Adapt it even if you do not need to complete a AQ . I did, sent it back to the court and the bank paid up 5 days later. Might be coincidence might not.
    PS Martin-you could put this letter on the MSE site??
    Anyway, thanks for all the help and everyone-KEEP GOING ,IT WORKS!!!!
    Coops
  • david1902
    Options
    Bank: Halifax
    Amount Reclaimed: £2700
    Amount they paid: £2500
    The story: After hearing about how to reclaim bank charges I went through all the processes, was told they would not pay , I issued a court letter(via Moneyclaim). received 1st offer of £1440, told them I would still go to court, spoke to someone who offered another £1060 if I did not proceed with court case. Agreed so I received £2500. Thanks Martin, do not give up people it is worth it.

(
    threadbanner.gif
    [/quote]
  • kalkin
    kalkin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: First Direct
    Amount Reclaimed: £3214
    Amount they paid: £3269
    The story:
    • 1st Mar - Requested a list of charges.
    • 6th Mar - Received response saying they would send me 6 years of bank statements.
    • 9th Apr - Received bank statements.
    • 10th Apr - Requested £3711.88 (incl interest).
    • 17th Apr - Received partial offer of £2732.
    • 17th Apr - Requested £3711.88 again threatening court action.
    • 24th Apr - Received full offer minus interest (£3214).
    • 27th Apr - Started claim with MCOL for full amount plus interest.
    • 5th Jun - Defense lodged.
    • 13th Jul - Bottled it! Phoned the bank to agree a settlement telling them I would drop the case if they would settle with the original offer plus charges that had accrued since original claim.
    • 14th Jul, 10.00am - Received letter of offer of £3269.
    • 14th Jul, 10.01am - Accepted letter of offer! :)
    My advice to anyone is to just phone the banks. It cuts through the crap and gets straight to the point. At the end of the day they want a quick settlement just like you but you have the upper hand so use that advantage!

Thanks Martin and everyone on these forums for all your help and advice. The system works!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure