Options

Comments

• emma_c
    emma_c Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    bank: HALIFAX
    amount claimed: £1,600 +interest
    amount paid: £1,500

1st letter from them denied any need to pay charges back, I sent the court threat letter. They offered £750 & gave me a contact name & number if I wasn't happy. I called them and was immediately offered £1,500!
    Really easy!

That pays off my credit cards & I'm back in the black :j :j
  • pinkgirl28
    Options
    BANK : BARCLAYS
    AMOUNT CLAIMED : £1907.07
    AMOUNT PAID :1907.07

Started this process begining of march sent letters, was offered half the amount claimed. Rejected this and sent court paperwork through mcol.
    Mcol messed up and instead of putting acknowledgement they put down that bank had defended claim.
    Took nearly a month to get to the bottom of what the hold up was, it turned out barclays never defended the claim.
    Filled to win by default bank received this and sent out settlement letter for full amount. Spoke with litigation team to check a few points faxed settlment paperwork to them and money was in the bank within 24 hours.
    Finally my account is in the black.:T :rotfl: :j
  • ultradave
    Options
    This is just a quick note for all attempting to reclaim their charges.

Stick with it i tried to claim for £3623 (over £4000 with intrest), i went as far as sending the third letter then recieved a prompt response with an offer of £2942 which i took.

all in all this process took 80 days and the money should be in my account by the end of next week.

keep at it everyone better back in your pocket than theirs.

Thanks Martin for all the advise.:money:

Dave Halliwell.:cool: :cool: :beer:
  • hooamus80
    hooamus80 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: Abbey
    Amount claimed: £2168.98
    Amount paid: £1800

Started with the first letter in February got the usual fobbing off, kept to Martin's time scales. Filed with MCOL and Abbey acknowledged claim and then defendened. Was offered standard 65% but refused and offered to settle for £2000 Abbey's solicitors said no!
    Changed my tactics and contacted Abbey's solicitors by e-mail and put figure of £1800 to them, within seven days they e-mailed to accept.
    Just waiting for money to go into account in next 7-10 days then I will withdraw claim!
    I know it's £300 odd £££'s less than original claim but I wanted a speedy settlement...............
    SUCCESS!!!!!!
  • J-D86
    J-D86 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Bank: Natwest
    Amount Reclaimed: £655.00
    Amount they paid: £655.00

The story: The statements requested came a few days after the 2 weeks requested. Sent the 1st letter asking for the money back, got a reply back about 3 weeks later saying they will look into it and get back to us within 6-7 weeks.

After having read on the forum that some Natwest customers had just waited the 7 weeks and recieved the money with no furthur action required, we did the same. 5 weeks later, low and behold, we received a letter saying they will reimburse the money. The money got transfered in 2 days after the reply form was returned to them.

Easy! Advice to Natwest customers is just wait the 7 weeks. Less hassle and cost.
  • s_and_n
    s_and_n Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Natwest
    initially claimed 228, but during process had gone up to 342 during long process; on their 228 offer of settlement agreement, revised amount up, put explanation and got 100 per cent back
  • missim
    missim Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Just got £210 back from HALIFAX, asked for £288 but decided to settle.thanks Martin you sexy money god!
  • phinch
    phinch Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Well, after almost a year of wrangling, the end is in sight. This morning I got a letter from NatWest offering me a 'goodwill payment' of £3323.00 in respect of charges. This is in relation to one account. I have another claim in respect of another account. Am considering whether or not to accept.

I would like to thank Martin and all the other thousands of people from whom I have drawn encouragement and inspiration. Its been a hard slog but the end is now in sight.
    :beer: Lightbulb moment in September 2006. Owed £43,000. Aim to be debt-free by May 2010 by a combination of snowballing, tarting and keeping tighter control over spending
  • luckydi321
    luckydi321 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Finally got paid out - never thought it would happen :rotfl:
    Sent for my statements 11 April and finally recieved them 15th June after several phone calls.
    Sent letter requesting refund of £2733 plus interest straight away and a couple of days later recieved a - dont think so letter!
    Rand the numbers posted on this site (thanks to all who posted them) and asked for a review!
    Rang a week later to give it a bit of a push!
    Recieved letter on the 7th offering £1340 (was in hospital so rang when i got out)
    Agreed over the phone a settlement of £2500 on 12th - I little less than I was asking for but it was a figure I had in my head to settle on - besides its definetely money I never thought I would see again!

I would suggest to people still claiming - go for it, once you have your no your not getting it back letter to ring ask for a review and then keep ringing every week till its sorted! definetely worked for me

and many thanks to graham :money: and the team as well as everyone posting on here - without you all I would never had got this money back!

:beer: :j :T
  • missjax_2
    missjax_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Amount claimed: £3,156.00
    Amount received: £3,156.00

The story:

14.04.07 - Sent letter requesting statements.
    16.05-07 - Received final installment of statements, they came in 3 batches.
    18.05.07 - Sent letter via registered post claiming £3,156.00 in unfair charges.
    22.05.07 - Natwest received my letter.
    28.05.07 - Rang Natwest to see if they had received letter as i had not had an acnowledgement.
    29.05.07 - Received letter stating 6-7 weeks to deal with claim.

I decided to wait the 6-7 weeks as i really didn't want the stress of chasing them.

I rang once a week to ask for an update on my claim, i was told i would hear by the 19th July. I was polite at all times and i take my hat off to the Natwest staff, they were all lovely.

14.07.07 - This morning i received my offer letter for the full amount i was claiming - minus the interest but thats ok they can have that!

I fully admit to not being a wonderful customer over the years .... but in my favour , since the day i decided to claim i have not incurred one more charge! Bloody hard work but i feel good :rotfl:

Many thanks to Martin Lewis for spurring me into action and to everyone who has contributed to this site, your stories gave me hope and brilliant advice. My advice, give them the time they ask for and its less stressful and they pay up!

Thanks
    Jax xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family