Amount reclaimed: £2,700.00

Paid up once proceedings issued.
    Thanks Martin:beer:
  • Ascot252
    Options
    Nationwide

Claimed £3549

Received £3549

Sent the usual letters (twice) both times rejected with the usual blah! blah! blah!.

Used MCOL to start court proceedings, got letter from bank just as the 28day period was about to run out, saying they had made a total refund into my account (amount claimed, interest & court fee). Checked the account and sure enough my money was there.

Whole process took about 5 weeks.

As usual if they had offered a close figure, as the out set, they could have settled for less. I would have accepted £2500 or so. Stupid bank.

Usual threats of closing my account, if I don't stick to the rules - not worried about that, already have another account with another bank, so they will loose out again.

Many thanks MSE. Will buy Martin a beer or 2, if I ever meet him, after following his guidance and template letters.
  • Adele2811
    Adele2811 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't posted before (I'm more of a lurker) but I wanted to post my success story:j , I really couldn't (and probably wouldn't!) have done it without this site!

Bank: Alliance & Leicester
    Amount Reclaimed: £268.26 (inc fees and interest)

Amount they paid: £268.26 (!)
    The story: Sent my first letter asking for my money back on 1st June and had the standard 'No, our charges are fair' letter. Sent the letter before action and A&L responded saying that they needed more time to 'look into the matter'. I logged my claim on Moneyclaim according to my timeframe. Received a letter from A&L saying that they would refund me £22.00. Sent back very polite 'No thank you, I will continue through the courts to claim the full amount' letter. Two days ago, I received three letters, an acknowledgement from the court, an acknowledgement from A&L saying they intended to defend the claim, and another letter from A&L offering me £268.26 in full and final settlement, without accepting liability of course!

I know it's not a huge amount of money but it will really help me out!

Thanks Martin :beer: :A :money: and all of the Moneysavers who post advice on the board, and good luck to everyone else going through the reclaiming process - stay positive!
  • whiskers01
    Options
    bank- halifax
    amount claimed £4,574.68
    amount paid £4,574.68

It has took three months in total, took the bank to court they acknowledged the court on the last day. Then five days later they sent me a letter saying they were willing to reimburse the full amount plus court costs, but said they were not admiting liability the reason for paying was purely on a commercial basis because of court fees. Two days after getting there letter the money was payed into my account. A big thank you to martin lewis, love your site.
  • ds10_2
    ds10_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: Natwest
    Amount Reclaimed: £871, plus £151.21 interest.
    Amount they very kindly paid: £861.00

Had a real fight with them over getting my statements. Took over 10 weeks!! In the end they sent me three sets in a period of 2 weeks! You could hear the rain forests running! Usual response to first letter, added a few grumpy bits to the 2nd letter see extracts below:

. I am sure that you are aware of the significant effort that I had to undertake to receive copies of my statements. During that process there were numerous, inexcusable errors made by NatWest staff that resulted in it taking over two months for me to receive the statements. On several occasions I was informed that my requests for information and updates on the progress of generating my statements would take a specified amount of time. On none of these occasions were the deadlines specified by NatWest adhered to.<O:p</O:p
    I am sure that you would appreciate that as a long standing customer, this has led me to being very disillusioned with the standard of service and ability of NatWest staff to work to deadlines. Your offer to assess my claim “within 6-7 weeks” is not only speculative but also beyond reasonable considering the work involved.<O:p</O:p

Did the trick, got a reply in about 1 week offering and I took it. Sent it off on the 10th July and it was in my account by the 13th!

Many thanks to Martin and keep going everyone else - stay strong!
  • HunkyBears
    Options
    :j In March we started the proccess and asked for £2729.03p, from our joint account, in July after threatening court action and they said they would contest the charges, three days later, 2 days before the deadline was up we checked our account and £2859.91 (this includes interest) had been paid in by cash into our account,. KEEP TRYING AND DO NOT GIVE UP!
    It can seems like forever, but it is worth the wait!.
    Now we are waiting for our own individual accounts.
    :beer:
  • verderci
    verderci Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Claim £4892 - payment in full

Started claim in March, sent usual letters, got back usual fob off letters. Filed with MCOL 21 May they defended, was sent to Harrogate court who transfer it to Leeds. Had letter from SCAM offering full nd final settlement - good will gesture of course!

Have another claim with Lloyds for 2k that is with the FO..........

Please dont give up if your claiming, it's time consuming but worth it in the end.

Thanks Martin you've helped me turn my finances round :T
    Mel :heartpuls
  • witneyite
    Options
    Once again another victory against Halifax, I was begining to think it wouldnt happen,had to go right up to court stage, I then rang them they offered me the full £983,but not interest or court costs (£80), I accepted.

Within 3 days I then received a letter telling me the full amount would be paid into my account,interest and court fee's? totalling over £1250.

I have to say reading these boards have been inspirational and not only a huge thank you to martin, but to everyone that posts on here.

THANK YOU and good luck to everyone,keep persuing,you will win.
  • Daz
    Daz Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    bank- natwest
    amount claimed £156 (with interest)
    amount paid £106

I know my claim is/was a mere drop in the ocean compared to many of the others, but that's what gave me the confidence to go for it! When I read about so many people receiving large paybacks, I thought 'why not have a go with my £156?'. I went through stages 1 & 2 and heard nothing from the bank throughout. Was just about to start court proceedings and then got what I thought was a very funny letter in which they made a very wordy case for why they thought the charges were completley justified, but at the same time offered me £106 as a 'gesture of goodwill'!
    Forget the chicken and the egg, what do you use to plant seedless grapes?
  • Demus
    Demus Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just like to say a big thank you to the forum and Martin particularly for showing me how to reclaim bank charges.

I recently claimed £37 from RBS that they took when I was about 16 (£7 of it is interest) and £60 from Natwest. I had to request statements from Natwest, which they supplied, after I sent the template Data letter and I had all my RBS statements. I used the initial template letter, both banks replied saying it would take a few weeks to consider my claim. I was busy so I didn't do anything and then 4 weeks later (a couple of days ago) they offered to fully refund in full and final settlement :D

They both sent near identical letters, saying they consider their charges are a service charge, which seems really stupid since who would want a service costing £38 for being £2 overdrawn and it's not like they ask you if they want the service tsk, but yeah, they fully refunded :)

On the down side, RBS seem to have charged me £10 to reply to my initial letter (probs hidden somewhere in the T&C that they can charge for correspondance) but I'll go down to my local bank and ask for it back, if they don't, I'm more than happy tp break out the template letters again :cool:

I'm a student so obviously £100 quid makes a big difference....and stops me feeling angry/helpless with myself about letting myself be charged, thanks again, Nick

PS. Anyone wondering about reclaiming lower amounts from the banks should definetly do it, didn't take much effort and it's nowhere near worth their effort it seems to fight cases for lower amounts. Higher amounts is defo worth it too I imagine, but for lower amounts its really easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure