Options

Comments

• MARIAN
    MARIAN Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays

Amount reclaimed £3250
    Amount they paid £2495

The story: Printed the standard letters from Martins Web Site for my son. He sent the first one off to the bank, and received his old statements promptly. Then sent second letter and within the time frame stated on Martins letter he received an offer of a reduced but still reasonable amount, which he accepted. He received the money into his bank within a week. All no hassle at all. :T So, many thanks Martin, he was stoney broke at the time and the money really helped him out.
    :cool:
  • Josie64
    Josie64 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: LLoyds TSB
    Amount Reclaimed: £1,200

Amount they paid: £605
    The story:

Around February , we followed the advice on this website , downloaded template letters, paid our £10 fee , first of all Lloyds sent back the standard letter , bank charges are for the account etc , so we wrote again , this time got a letter back stating where to send our £10 fee , so wrote the 2nd template letter and sent that off , then they sent the statements, which added up to around £1,200 over six years , it was a while before we wrote back (other personal probs to deal with)

we sent the statements off with a spreadsheet covering every month for the last six years , for ages we didn't hear anything then the other week out of the blue we had a letter from them which at first reading the beginning of it , it sounded like the bank charges were part of having the account etc etc but at the end was the offer of £605 , and that there would be no other offer , so we decided to accept ( bearing in mind martin's advice , do what is best for your personal circumstances) we are both off work sick at the moment so this has helped pay the bills) otherwise if we at work we would have taken it further........
    now we have been successful we will be claiming back off Alliance & Leicester bank , and other credit card companies as well!
    LX direct

Amount claimed £95
    Amount offered £60

This was the only claim i had in my head i would settle, as long as the amount offered was above half. It was a small amount, compared to my other claims, and most of the charges were £10, as apposed to the banks extra rip off £30+.

Took just 2 letters, and leaves my whopping £7000 credit limit with Littlewoods intact. I could probably get th full amount, but i still have a bigger fish to fry.
  • chipmunk1604
    Options
    Bank: Nationwide
    Amount claimed: £1286.41
    Amount offered: £1742

Sent 1st Letter 7th May asking for charges back inc interest.
    got standard letter back saying charges are fair etc

Sent 2nd letter 21st May giving them a further 14days or go to court. Same letter sent back re charges are fair.

Sent complaint to FOS on 6th June and today have received offer of £1742 this is with 8% interest. So pleased with this can get car fixed now!!!

I have been reading this thread since may and can't believe i'm finally posting. Thanks to Martin and all of you.
  • andyandalfie
    Options
    :j Wrote to HSBC 4th May 07 requesting £2622+interest. Got usual "looking into matters" letter on 11th May 07. I rang after 14 days and was told that they were totally inundated with refund requests and that they had eight weeks to respond (6th July). No response so I rang them. I was told that the account was still been investigated and to ring back in a week. I rang back on 9th July and complained about the lack of response and was told that the account had been poorly managed so why was I complaining about charges and that one of the supervisors was looking at it. I asked them to make it a priority and to get someone to ring me and was told that it could take 2 days for a return call. Had to leave the house for 20 minutes on 10th July and found out that they had tried ring then - typical! Anyway got offer letter in post today (12th July) stating they were fully in order etc and they admit no liability etc and have offered me £2228.70 in final settlement. Needless to say the acceptance form was back in the post, recorded delivery, before the postman got to the end of the street! Cheque promised in 14 days.

I didn't think they would pay and as posted previously by another the offer is 85% of the request (without interest). So does this mean that a £30 charge should only be £4.50?

A big thank you to Martin Lewis & all associated with MSE and everybody else posting on this site.

I will post again when cheque safely in my grubby mitts!
  • helenpaterson
    Options
    :T HAVE JUST RECEIVED FINAL OFFER FROM BANK OF SCOTLAND THIS MORNING.STARTED POCESS 26/01/07-FOLLOWED FULL PROCEEDURE AS SET OUT ON MARTINS SITE.AFTER SEVERAL FRUSTRATING REFUSALS AND THREAT OF COURT ACTION I DECIDE TO COMPLAIN TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUSMAN ONLY TWO WEEKS AGO!
    INITIALLY I WAS REFUSED ANY SETTLEMENT,THEN THREAT OF COURT ACTION RESULTED IN AN OFFER OF HALF WHAT I WAS CLAIMING,FOLLOWED BY 3/4 OFFER OF CLAIM.
    THANKS TO THE POSITIVE MESSAGES ON THIS SITE, I DECIDE TO STICK IT OUT AND HAVE RECEIVED FULL OFFER.I CAN'T SAY HOW DELIGHTED I AM WITH ALL THE HELP AND SUPPORT I HAVE RECEIVED THROUGH THIS SITE !
    THIS HAS TAKEN ME ALMOST SIX MONTHS,SO THE MESSAGE HERE IS DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! GOOD LUCK
    THANKS SO MUCH TO MARTIN AND EVERYONE WORKING ON THIS!:beer:
  • lilolilly
    Options
    first direct amount asked for £2126.00
    amount recieved £1813.00
    I have been really lucky it only took 2 weeks for them to make an offer so a big big thank you to martin, also has anyone got a tempplate letter for a closed bank account its for the abbey. thanks
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AMOUNT CLAIMED: £599
    AMOUNT RECEIVED: £599!!
    A big thank you to Martin et al! The second of my claims against LLoyds TSB on behalf of my DH's business account has been met; I had made a mistake with the amount claimed - my own fault - but have been repaid exactly what was owing and Lloyds didn't take off what they are allowed to charge! Claimed £599 but expected less, due to the charge they are permitted to make for defaults, but £599 was paid into the account yesterday. I started the claim with the first letter on 31st January and almost wanted to give up several times but MSE kept me going!
    This is now my fourth success in four claims. Two with Lloyds, one with the Halifax on mortgage arrangement fees and one with Nat West for DS2.

Martin - you are - and always will be - my hero!!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • g.e
    g.e Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    LLoyds Tsb
    Amount Claimed £1900
    Amount Rec. £1900

Big thanks to Martin Lewis website for help in getting back all my bank charges with interest!
    It took 2 months, they fought tooth and nail saying my claim was embarrasing and ill prepared! Court proceedings started and finally they sent me a letter saying you have no chance etc etc, was about to throw it away then I saw there was a page two.......where the offer to settle in full was!!!! bizarre! So my advice is don't get scared by the threats and legal jargon just persevere!!!
  • shellfishb5
    shellfishb5 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    :j Hi Everone just received payment for obscene bank charges.
    Nationwide amount claimed £379.48
    Amount Paid £409.19
    First letter requesting statement of charges sent 19/04/2007
    Third letter requesting they refund charges and interest sent 03/05/2007
    Took form N1 to local court on 03/06/2007
    Defendant filed an Acknowledgement of service on 07/06/2007
    On the 11/07/2007 received "Notice of defence that amount claimed has been paid" saying money was paid into account on 28/06/07.
    I am now trying to get my court fees returned to me as i asked, money was paid into account which is with debt recovery agency and i have no access to, so phone nationwide solicitors ask about my court fees back was given number for N/wide refunds phoned them was told i needed to spea k to collections dept so i ring them and i am told i need to speak to Branch Service Centre but they dont receive phone calls you have to write to them.
    So i phoned n/wide call centre again explained my problem so she spoke to someone at the branch service centre on my behalf about getting my court fees refunded, so i have been given a name Christian Stephen and he is supposed to give me a ring and discuss refund this pm before 15:30.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport