Fathers Day - am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 June 2013 at 7:50PM
    I grew up in a house with an ageist parent, a catholic parent and a half sibling of different religious denomination. I went to a different faith school at one point and had a flirtation with that. Seriously...we discussed robustly, but the differences never caused issues. We all 'made attempts' to meet in the middle. In this situation I think my father would have come to see the play were he available to do so. Brainwashing was certainly not an issue, and some of the most enlightened people I have net have been religious, Christian, Jewish, other religions. Brainwashing and bigotry happens in aethism as easily and is an affliction of those who are not curious and cannot challenge themselves robustly and others repectfully...that can happen regardless of faith affiliation....the same people would suffer whatever they followed or denounced following.

OP.....while directing anger at your partner you might be creating a store of resentment from your children and a failure to accept their differences from you in aspects you feel uncomfortable about. These might stay long after their affiliation with this church. Please tread carefully, not for your partner but for your children and their relationship with you.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    I grew up in a house with an ageist parent, a catholic parent and a half sibling of different religious denomination. I went to a different faith school at one point and had a flirtation with that. Seriously...we discussed robustly, but the differences never caused issues. We all 'made attempts' to meet in the middle. In this situation I think my father would have come to see the play were he available to do so. Brainwashing was certainly not an issue, and some of the most enlightened people I have net have been religious, Christian, Jewish, other religions. Brainwashing and bigotry happens in aethism as easily and is an affliction of those who are not curious and cannot challenge themselves robustly and others repectfully...that can happen regardless of faith affiliation....the same people would suffer whatever they followed or denounced following.

OP.....while directing anger at your partner you

:T:rotfl:am guessing you mean Atheist?
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    LiR sometimes misses letters out or types the wrong word as she has a neurological condition.
    The ageist bit did make me smile though :o.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    LiR sometimes misses letters out or types the wrong word as she has a neurological condition.

I know, I just thought it was amusing.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 June 2013 at 7:52PM
    Kaz2904 wrote: »

This is compounded now by an over zealous auto correct on iPad, so my gobbledygook gets changed to real words, but often heartily inappropriate ones :D

Oh, and I love it when they are funny ad often leave them in once noticed because they'll make others laugh at the ridiculousness too. :). Never feel embarrassed face smiley about laughing at my errors. If you cannot laugh at such things then one's choices are bleak!
  • chickywiggle
    chickywiggle Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 15 June 2013 at 8:02PM
    GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel wholehartly sorry your children have a father who can't give up part of a day to see them perform something they have been practising to make HIM happy.

do please tell us what you would be doind as a 'family' that is so special you could not have done it today............ next weekend......... next month?????

my husband had to work on my birthday, work on mothers day and work tomorrow................. you know what I managed to avoid a tantrum and so has he!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my dad lives 200 miles away ........ it is actually IMPOSSIBLE for me to get to see him tomorrow. I have had to apologise as forgot to post his card until today.............. but you know what he doesn't care because i will see him and spend a few days with him in a couple of months time where we will have a pretend fathers day.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas. :xmastree:
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    My dad died when I was 18 and my partner will be at work all day so our children will have to wait until 8pm to give him his presents. If going to church meant that we could spend time as a family then off to church we would go!

Seriously though, just go to church, watch your children and then spend the rest of the day doing something that you choose. Don't let anything ruin the day.
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I agree that Fathers' Day seems to be an American import, but Mothering Sunday is indeed a very British tradition.
    Mothers' Day in America is a different day to ours (it is in May) and began during WW1 as a focus to encourage soldiers to get in touch with their mothers.
    My great grandmother described being in service and being allowed home on Mothering Sunday, with a gift from the "big house" for her mother.

I say to my kids "no gifts" but they know that I love their cards say "Mothering Sunday" instead of "Mothers' Day" because they know I love the tradition!
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Absolutely shocked no wonder kids are what they are like. Parents should set an example. There are some things I detest doing but I do it because my kids get to see that although I may hate something I respect other people ave different opinions.

My dad is away this year and has told us all not to call due tp the expense but he did hint he has free wifi and has taken his cards. LOL!
    Go get it!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    warehouse wrote: »
    Are you serious OP?

You don't believe in Church but do believe in Card Shop Fathers Day, and get in a strop over it?

Grow up man.

This sums it up completely! Father's Day is just an excuse for retailers to flog even more tat! Every day of the year should be Fathers' and Mothers' Day.

Oh - and by the way - when children go to church one of the concepts that they will be taught is to honour their fathers and mothers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure