Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Kaybenson
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    You'd have to be daft to travel to the US without insurance. It's not even like it costs that much either ...

Daft ??

Hmm ok.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bump to page 1
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    Update: The airline has considered the delay to be of extra ordinary. Offered to give me monies for cab and meal upon production of receipts.

Reached final destination more that 12 hours .
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    Daft ??

Hmm ok.
    Yes, even travelling to EU without insurance is foolish. Peeps in UK have little concept of the costs of health care outside of the NHS, so for that reason alone insurance is essential, quite apart from travel disruptions.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Yes, even travelling to EU without insurance is foolish. Peeps in UK have little concept of the costs of health care outside of the NHS, so for that reason alone insurance is essential, quite apart from travel disruptions.

Agreed.

I have insurance in Europe. I always purchase single trip insurance to America. I was to upgrade the EU one to Worldwide but messed up with final call.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    Update: The airline has considered the delay to be of extra ordinary. Offered to give me monies for cab and meal upon production of receipts.

Reached final destination more that 12 hours .

So, given that the delay was not the airlines fault that is a good result. They would needed to have reimbursed you for the meal under duty of care and extra of the taxi reimbursement will mean you have suffered no financial loss. Due to the reason for the delay I think that is the best result you could have hoped for
  • Timothea
    Timothea Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 November 2014 at 12:48AM
    Options
    I am reposting the following from a new thread that I started

Hi,

I realise that 99.9% of compensation claims discussed here are based on EU law. I just wonder if anyone has successfully claimed under US 14 CFR 250 after being denied boarding in the US.

My situation is that, last summer, myself and three other adult family members were booked on Air Canada from Boston to London Heathrow via Ottawa. The outbound reservations were booked with and operated by Air Canada. Strangely, the return reservations were booked with United Airlines but operated by Air Canada (code share). We all had confirmed reservations and valid tickets. I was the lead passenger and I paid for all the tickets.

We arrived at the Air Canada check-in desks in Boston three hours before our flight was due to depart, only to be told that we were not on the check-in system and that our flight was full! The Air Canada agents then located our valid tickets and reservations on the booking system and tried to book us on another flight to London. However, it was the last weekend of the summer holidays and all the flights that night to London from the Eastern USA and Canada were full.

To cut a very long story short, we were flown to Toronto, had to make our own hotel arrangements, before arriving in London a day late and without our baggage.

Afterwards, I did some research and found that the USA has its own rules for compensating passengers who are involuntarily bumped off a flight when holding valid tickets and confirmed reservations. These rules are known as US 14 CFR 250 and specify that passengers must immediately be compensated up to four times the ticket's value. In our case, we should have been paid the maximum amount of USD 1,300 each ($5,200 in total).

Needless to say, airlines ignore these rules whenever they can. I complained to Air Canada but they refused to budge. It now looks like my only option is to sue Air Canada in the English small claims court.

I am looking for any advice about:
    • Application of US 14 CFR 250 rules.
    • Claiming in this country for this type of event
    • Whether also to claim against the travel agent who booked our flights with United Airlines rather than directly with Air Canada
    I have been through all the policies and channels with Air Canada. They listened for a while, but would not provide any information and ended up telling us to go away.

The thing about these US compensation rules is that the US Department of Transportation provides no support or adjudication services to passengers who have been fleeced by the airlines. Your only recourse to to go to court. This is the American Way.

Anyway, my booking was made in England with an English travel agent, and Air Canada operates in England (at Heathrow). Furthermore, Air Canada's Conditions of Carriage include terms stating that they will compensate passengers under US 14 CFR 250. For these reasons, I believe that this compensation is enforceable in the English courts.

Timothea
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, I'm afraid. But there is an "Air Travel" forum on TripAdvisor, where this has been discussed before, I think. There are some US experts there who can certainly answer your question at any rate.
  • roxlen11
    Options
    Can anyone help (first time ive posted btw) I was recently delayed on the flight to my honeymoon to newyork we checked in sat to eat breakfast then heard over the tannoy that the flight was cancelled. As we were one of the first ppl to check in and ppl were still checking in we had to go to the back of the que (4hours we queued with a 4 year old) to be rebooked on a flight.

We advised the representative that we had to catch a cruise the next day to which she replied don't worry they will refund you for your cruise if you miss it !!

anyway a flight to London from Manchester and 9 hours late we finally got on a plane to newyork we were handed a leaflet from united stating if we were delayed over 6 hours we could claim 600 euro each. we were then delayed a further 4 hours upon our return from holiday again we were handed a leaflet that stated we could claim 400 euro each for this.

After a long winded email to united they have offered me $200 flight voucher I told them I would seek legal advise if they did not offer as they stated to which they are now completely ignoring me (ive emailed at least 6 times) please help where do I go now ? I missed one full day on holiday in nyc and also the stress of getting to plane and a 9 hour delay with aa small child on our honeymoon.

thanks in advance xx
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read Vauban's guide - all the answers are in there.
    It would appear you have valid claims both ways, depending on the reason for delay/cancellations.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport