• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bumping above the incorrectly opened new threads
  • JayShiva
    Options
    Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from people with experience in claiming compensation.

Here's the background...

My partner and I were booked on QR24 from Manchester to Doha, with an onward connection (booked at the same time with Qatar) from Doha to Dubai.

QR24 was delayed by two hours due to a 'technical fault' discovered on runway.

As a result we missed our connection to Dubai, and were given replacement flight tickets for the 6am flight to Dubai, which got us in to our final destination ~5hrs later than expected.

Sent the usual letter/email to Qatar customer services and received a general reply.

Sent another reply, asking why they hadn't acknowledged the compensation request.

Here is the reply...

'Further to your response, we would like to inform you that cause of the flight disruption was flight safety shortcoming. Please allow us to share that airlines have no obligation to compensate passengers if the disruption was due to this cause.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your kind attention.'

Where should I go from here? Pursue this myself? NWNF?

Many thanks in advance guys!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are other Qatar situations in the non EU airlines thread on this board, have a read of that, there's a search function that will also help you find the Qatar posts. Also have a read of Vauban's guide to claiming.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Hi All,

I've tried reading through this whole thread to see if a similar case to mine is covered but can't see it.

I flew from Newcastle Airport to Bangkok connecting in Dubai. The first flight (leaving an EU airport) was on time, however the connection flight from Dubai was delayed and we arrived 5 hours and 55 minutes late into Bangkok.

I have written a letter and the response from emirates was along the lines of that the delay occurred to the flight leaving Dubai and was therefore outside of the EU and not covered by the ruling.

I am wondering however if anyone has had this before and managed to get clarification from the CAA if the two flights above can be classed as 1 flight due to the fact it was booked as one journey, in one transaction.
    LBM Jan 14 - Debt £30,500.48
    January 2014 - 31st May 2016 DEBT FREE!!
    Target Savings £500,000.00 Retire Early!!
    Cash Savings £15,492.23
    S&S ISA £60,560.54
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

I've tried reading through this whole thread to see if a similar case to mine is covered but can't see it.

Really?! There's a whole debate on the connecting flights point, and the short answer is that there isn't consensus on when the delay occurs outside the EU then it's covered.
  • Vauban wrote: »
    Really?! There's a whole debate on the connecting flights point, and the short answer is that there isn't consensus on when the delay occurs outside the EU then it's covered.

I don't know how I've missed it, will have another look through this thread. Does that mean the CAA haven't given any guidance to anyone? Apologies for posting a question that has already been covered (in detail it seems!)
    Cash Savings £15,492.23
    S&S ISA £60,560.54
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apologies for posting a question that has already been covered (in detail it seems!)

There is no firm answer on the forum, just differences of opinions. I don't believe the NWNFs will take on delays that are fully outside the EU and have not seen any evidence of this being tested in court
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    There is no firm answer on the forum, just differences of opinions. I don't believe the NWNFs will take on delays that are fully outside the EU and have not seen any evidence of this being tested in court

Thanks, having read through http://www.dlapiper.com/~/media/Files/Insights/Publications/2013/12/The%20ambit%20of%20EC%20regulation%202612004%20%20Missed%20fligh__/Files/AviationmissedflightconnectionsoutsideEU/FileAttachment/AviationmissedflightconnectionsoutsideEU.pdf

It seems the last paragraph summarises my situation and answers that for a similar booking where a delayed connection in Hong Kong to Sydney (originating from UK) falls outside the ruling;

"...Thereafter, the connecting flight to Sydney operated separately and outside of the scope of the Regulation in accordance with Article 3(1)(b). The Judge relied on the judgments in [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Schenkel [/FONT][/FONT]and [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Sanghvi [/FONT][/FONT]which confirm that each of the flights in a connecting sequence should properly be regarded as separate flights, or "[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]units.[/FONT][/FONT]" "

Never mind...
    Cash Savings £15,492.23
    S&S ISA £60,560.54
  • tilla_tech_2
    Options
    It seems the last paragraph summarises my situation and answers that for a similar booking where a delayed connection in Hong Kong to Sydney (originating from UK) falls outside the ruling;

"...Thereafter, the connecting flight to Sydney operated separately and outside of the scope of the Regulation in accordance with Article 3(1)(b). The Judge relied on the judgments in [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Schenkel [/FONT][/FONT]and [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Sanghvi [/FONT][/FONT]which confirm that each of the flights in a connecting sequence should properly be regarded as separate flights, or "[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]units.[/FONT][/FONT]" "

Never mind...[/QUOTE]

If the above case was only at County court level then it doesn't necessarily set a precedent for your situation.
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    Good morning Fellow savers,

1) I purchased my ticket via agent

2) [Air France] The journey is Birmingham to Paris to Atlanta and finally to Charlotte.

3) [Air france ]There was a delay in Paris. We waste some time in taxing then 1 of the passenger was sick and have to be removed. I then missed my connecting flight from Atlanta to Charlotte.

4) I was given hotel voucher but no meal voucher. I was booked for next day to leave atlanta to Charlotte.

Am I entitled to compensation ?

Can i deal directly with Delta or my agent?

Who should i deal with Delta or Air france?

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure