Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sand12dy wrote: »
    Has anyone any joy from an Emirates flight, UK to Hong Kong delay 16/8/14 from Birmingham. I am going through Botts and Co solicitors but worried about signing their agreement re costs incurred. Emirates refuse costs, but are offering air miles. It was mechanical failure.

Well I suggest that you speak to them to understand fully what your potential exposure might be. If you are still not happy, try another firm or take the case yourself.

I wouldn't imagine any other passengers will have had a response re the flight, letalone resolution.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bott's charges appear to be in line with similar less successful companies. It is clear they know what they are doing, if you do, then by all means do it yourself. The costs with Bott's are fixed at the start, I suspect they make money in uncontested claims but as they have paid for two cases as far as the Supreme Court, they stand to lose thousands if they they do not succeed
  • razorsedge
    razorsedge Posts: 344 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2014 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    Bott's charges appear to be in line with similar less successful companies. It is clear they know what they are doing, if you do, then by all means do it yourself. The costs with Bott's are fixed at the start, I suspect they make money in uncontested claims but as they have paid for two cases as far as the Supreme Court, they stand to lose thousands if they they do not succeed

In the Dawson case, the original county court judgement by HH Judge Yelton in para 29 gave permission to appeal 'on terms that no order for costs is sought agianst the claimant'. So presumably Bott's won't be paying for Thomson's legal team regardless of the outcome.
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2014 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Razorsedge, they may not be for the original appeal to the Circuit Judge but High Court and Supreme Court may be different but they have instructed one the best QC's in the market for aviation and they will have to pay him tens of thousands of pounds as well as their own time and energy invested in the two Supreme Court Appeals. I have nothing whatsoever to do with them but if you do not understand their terms, with respect, I think you may struggle to take the court action yourself.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alan, I think what Razors edge is trying to say is that only Thomson will be responsible for their costs, as per Judge Yelton's instructions. Obviousley Bott & Co and Dawson will be responsible for the own costs. But presumably if the Dawson decision is upheld, either thru rejection of leave to appeal or losing an appeal if granted, then Bott & Co can claim these off of Thomson too?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • razorsedge
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Alan, I think what Razors edge is trying to say is that only Thomson will be responsible for their costs, as per Judge Yelton's instructions. Obviousley Bott & Co and Dawson will be responsible for the own costs.

Yes, that is what I meant.
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bumped for noobs and those too lazy to read the sticky at the top or scroll down half a page...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • nexus_nobody
    Options
    we travelled emirates from newcastle to johannesberg via dubai in 2008. We were delayed exactly 24 hours. I do not have any paper work regarding this. Can I do anything?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we travelled emirates from newcastle to johannesberg via dubai in 2008. We were delayed exactly 24 hours. I do not have any paper work regarding this. Can I do anything?

Impossible to say. When did you fly? Why (and where) were you delayed?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Options
    and when in 2008 - have you passed or are close to the 6 year deadline?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback