Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• barashdatta
    Options
    Anybody has success in claiming a legitimate refund from AA? In November 2014, I was moved from my London-Chicago flight to a later flight on the same route on the same day (without asking for my consent), which reached Chicago 5 hours later. I contacted their customer relations in January 2015. AA accepted in their reply that they owe me a refund and sent me a refund form in February 2015. I sent this away promptly; then - nothing. After several more messages to them via their web-form, I was told in May that my registered letter with bank details could not be located! I re-sent the bank details in May, and am still waiting to hear back from them. Seven months after the delayed flight, the wait continues. I would have taken further action earlier if AA hadn't agreed to refund me in February itself. Looking at the experiences of others in the thread, I guess I will wait a few more weeks before going to the CAA!
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody has success in claiming a legitimate refund from AA? In November 2014, I was moved from my London-Chicago flight to a later flight on the same route on the same day (without asking for my consent), which reached Chicago 5 hours later. I contacted their customer relations in January 2015. AA accepted in their reply that they owe me a refund and sent me a refund form in February 2015. I sent this away promptly; then - nothing. After several more messages to them via their web-form, I was told in May that my registered letter with bank details could not be located! I re-sent the bank details in May, and am still waiting to hear back from them. Seven months after the delayed flight, the wait continues. I would have taken further action earlier if AA hadn't agreed to refund me in February itself. Looking at the experiences of others in the thread, I guess I will wait a few more weeks before going to the CAA!

CAA = Waste of time

Write them an NBA/LBA and send to the UK address registered post. Give them 14 days to reply otherwise you will take them to court.
  • symphony63
    Options
    jtjt wrote: »
    Any other advice out there? I'm a Canadian living in Canada, and just need to know whether I go through the Canadian head office or UK head office first. Many of the posts I read through have people searching out the UK offices. TIA :)

No difference which office. You are entitled to this compensation under EU law, no difference if you are Canadian or European as long as the flight either left from a European hob or a European airline.
    Make sure you mention you are claiming under EU261/2004
  • symphony63
    Options
    jtjt wrote: »
    Any other advice out there? I'm a Canadian living in Canada, and just need to know whether I go through the Canadian head office or UK head office first. Many of the posts I read through have people searching out the UK offices. TIA :)

Try using resolver.co.uk. I found them very good with several claims I had.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you decline the changes and requested a refund instead of travelling or did you travel and are looking to claim EU compensation? (rather than refund)
    EU compensation plus refund can be given if a flight is delayed over 5 hours and you decide not to travel
  • barashdatta
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry; I meant 'compensation' rather than 'refund'. I did travel, and reached over five hours later. Will probably have to take the 'give 14 days notice and take them to court' route. Sigh.
  • pk67
    pk67 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    pk67 wrote: »
    Looking for some guidance.

We flew to New York - Newark with United last Thursday from Edinburgh. En route to the airport we received a text saying that our flight at 0925 had been cancelled.

We managed to get re-booked onto the 1205 also into Newark (meaning we arrived at 1440 rather than 1200 US time).

Are we eligible to claim for compensation for the delay caused by cancellation?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

Contacted United with standard letter and received the following reply:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting us regarding the cancellation of United flight 37 on 4 June 2015, and your request for cash compensation. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience you experienced during the interruption to your travel plans.

United Airlines has determined that, in this case, European Union Regulation EC261/2004 monetary compensation is applicable and will be issued only to customers who were holding a confirmed reservation, a fare paid ticket, and were checked in and available to board the aircraft in accordance with United’s Contract of Carriage.

As alternative options to your claim for cash compensation under European Union EC261/2004 regulation, we would like to offer you a choice of a $1,000 (USD) United Travel Certificate* (redeemable and transferable toward the purchase of any United or United Express-operated flight) or 30,000 United MileagePlus® miles (redeemable on flights operated by United, United Express or by Air Canada, ANA, Austrian, Lufthansa, SAS Scandinavian, Swiss, Thai and 20 additional Star Alliance partners worldwide.)

They seem to imply that the reason we have been refused is that we had not checked in. We had planned to check in at the airport as we were unable to online (and already had reserved seats in Economy Plus) but received an SMS en route to the airport saying the flight was cancelled - making it slightly tricky to check in. After receiving the SMS we contacted United and were transferred to a later flight.

Any advice?
    Thanks.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That doesn't look like a refusal to me but alternative offers of either the cash (600 Euros) or $1000 travel voucher or 30,000 Mileage Plus miles. I know which I would take, United used to be half reasonable, now they are the worst of all the US based carriers and unless you want to book with them again and they are the only carrier going where you want to go, take the cash
  • pk67
    pk67 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    The perils of reading this on my phone. Read it again and you are quite correct :D

Cash please!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Either way, it doesn't matter if you checked in or not. Your flight was cancelled with less than 7 days notice.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport