Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• jpscet
    Options
    Hello,

Recently my flight ( Air transat ) from Calgary to Manchester was delayed due to problem with the aircraft and it started 20 hours after the scheduled time. I was travelling with my 11yrs old kid. Can I ask for compensation ? if so how much...

Here I would like to mention that while I enquired from Air transat in calgary while boarding the plane, a info letter was provided which has info that I can apply for 250 Canadian dollars concession for the next booking within 18 months.

Kind Regards,
    JP
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jpscet wrote: »
    Hello,

Recently my flight ( Air transat ) from Calgary to Manchester was delayed due to problem with the aircraft and it started 20 hours after the scheduled time. I was travelling with my 11yrs old kid. Can I ask for compensation ? if so how much...

Here I would like to mention that while I enquired from Air transat in calgary while boarding the plane, a info letter was provided which has info that I can apply for 250 Canadian dollars concession for the next booking within 18 months.

Kind Regards,
    JP

Hi

Have a read of Vaubans guide, it's all in there.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jpscet wrote: »
    Can I ask for compensation ? if so how much...

Legally they are probably due you nothing, as a non-EU airline with a delay outside the EU, EU261 is not applicable. You could also check your travel insurance policy to see what they offer but you would not qualify for cash from the airline unless they wanted to give you some goodwill (which is likely what the 250 dollar discount is)
  • nstofberg
    nstofberg Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 August 2015 at 11:28AM
    Options
    Hi

Hope this is the right place as I would like some advice about compensation for a recent trip I had with AA/US.

On 1 June I was due to fly ATH - PHL - SEA on US Airways, ticketed on AA, arriving into SEA at 21:02.
    Unfortunately, upon arrival at ATH the flight to PHL was delayed by more than 6-7 hours which would have meant I missed my connecting flight to SEA.

So after my work travel agent (AMEX) spoke to AA they agreed to put me on the Delta flight to SEA via NYC arriving 22:02. Unfortunately, they didn't issue the ticket in time before check in closed.

So again, another phone call was made. I suggested they put me on the BA to LHR and then to Vancouver and then connect with Alaska to SEA (by the way I originally suggested this the first time and they said no as it involved more than one airline). This would get me to SEA at 21:19
    They agreed to put me on the flight but only as far as Vancouver as they couldn't reroute with multiple airlines.
    AMEX then booked the Alaska ticket seperately but because the stop over in Vancouver was only 1h50min AA said they would not be held responsible if I missed that connection.

Of course, BA LHR to Vancouver was delayed so I missed the flight to SEA and there were no more that evening.
    I landed up renting a car and driving down (quite a pleasant drive).

AMEX complaint to AA and they have responded with the below. Perhaps this is fully acceptable, but I just wanted to make sure

I would have thought that given the fact they didn't actually get me to my original point of destination would have meant they would have to pay more AND/OR the fact that if they didn't put me on this short stop re-route, I would have had to fly the following day which means it would have been a huge delay and some EU compensation would be payable.

Anyways, interested to hear your thoughts

"Thank you for contacting the New American. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding the travel of Mr. Stofberg.
    With respect to your request for compensation based on European Regulation 261/2004, carriers are not required to provide compensation in the event that the carrier performed all necessary maintenance checks and took all steps feasibly viable in an attempt to prevent a mechanical cancellation or delay, as in this case. This also applies toward request for monetary compensation. Our records reflect unexpected maintenance issues occurred; however, the aircraft had undergone all required maintenance and we also took all measures appropriate to the situation, and as such, no compensation is due under the regulation. However, as a goodwill gesture in that we definitely acknowledge the inconvenience, I have issued Mr. Stofberg a $600 Transportation Voucher he may apply toward a future ticket purchase with AA/US Airways. We would like to be sure that he flies with us again soon, and we have made arrangements for a Voucher (via a separate mailing) for him to use toward the purchase of a ticket to travel with us.
    On behalf of US Airways and American Airlines, we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon."
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    nstofberg wrote: »
    Hi

Hope this is the right place as I would like some advice about compensation for a recent trip I had with AA/US.

On 1 June I was due to fly ATH - PHL - SEA on US Airways, ticketed on AA, arriving into SEA at 21:02.
    Unfortunately, upon arrival at ATH the flight to PHL was delayed by more than 6-7 hours which would have meant I missed my connecting flight to SEA.

So after my work travel agent (AMEX) spoke to AA they agreed to put me on the Delta flight to SEA via NYC arriving 22:02. Unfortunately, they didn't issue the ticket in time before check in closed.

So again, another phone call was made. I suggested they put me on the BA to LHR and then to Vancouver and then connect with Alaska to SEA (by the way I originally suggested this the first time and they said no as it involved more than one airline). This would get me to SEA at 21:19
    They agreed to put me on the flight but only as far as Vancouver as they couldn't reroute with multiple airlines.
    AMEX then booked the Alaska ticket seperately but because the stop over in Vancouver was only 1h50min AA said they would not be held responsible if I missed that connection.

Of course, BA LHR to Vancouver was delayed so I missed the flight to SEA and there were no more that evening.
    I landed up renting a car and driving down (quite a pleasant drive).

AMEX complaint to AA and they have responded with the below. Perhaps this is fully acceptable, but I just wanted to make sure

I would have thought that given the fact they didn't actually get me to my original point of destination would have meant they would have to pay more AND/OR the fact that if they didn't put me on this short stop re-route, I would have had to fly the following day which means it would have been a huge delay and some EU compensation would be payable.

Anyways, interested to hear your thoughts

"Thank you for contacting the New American. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding the travel of Mr. Stofberg.
    With respect to your request for compensation based on European Regulation 261/2004, carriers are not required to provide compensation in the event that the carrier performed all necessary maintenance checks and took all steps feasibly viable in an attempt to prevent a mechanical cancellation or delay, as in this case. This also applies toward request for monetary compensation. Our records reflect unexpected maintenance issues occurred; however, the aircraft had undergone all required maintenance and we also took all measures appropriate to the situation, and as such, no compensation is due under the regulation. However, as a goodwill gesture in that we definitely acknowledge the inconvenience, I have issued Mr. Stofberg a $600 Transportation Voucher he may apply toward a future ticket purchase with AA/US Airways. We would like to be sure that he flies with us again soon, and we have made arrangements for a Voucher (via a separate mailing) for him to use toward the purchase of a ticket to travel with us.
    On behalf of US Airways and American Airlines, we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon."

Their excuse is a load of baloney!

They clearly do not understand the EU261 regulations or are deliberately mis quoting them in the hope you go away and do not ask again.

Use Vaubans guide and follow his advice on how to claim or you may have to contact the Greek NEB for help.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • goldystar
    Options
    HI All, Just wanted to share our success! After years or wrangling with United over our missed Newark connection we submiited money claim online last Friday. I've had an email today confirming they will be paying our claim in full inc costs - never had to step inside a courtroom. So for anyone else on this journey, stick with it. I'm £2260 the richer for in total a few hours or my time.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    well done goldy
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Jirmette1
    Jirmette1 Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2015 at 11:49AM
    Options
    Please can anyone help me, I've followed the advice on this thread and have now reached a point where my case against United (missed connection London - Newark - Orlando, due to short delay, resulting in arriving in Orlando over 8 hours late) has been referred to Liverpool court as United have defended it all the way, claiming that it was only a 30 minute delay (it was but that caused the missed connection - we were ticketed from London to Orlando, causing us to have to stay overnight as no more flights that day)

I'm hours away from Liverpool so can't realistically get there and am just feeling really out of my depth with it, I don't want to put anymore money into it, we've already paid out over £100 that we don't really have for the online money claim, and I'm worried we're going to have to pay more in court fees.

If anyone can help / advise me I'd be really grateful. So many people I know in my position have just had their claim settle by United without them having to go this far, but with us they seem to have dug their heels in, despite my case being the same.
  • westcastle
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had a flight delay. I searched online and I am not sure if I can claim or not under EU261/04.

I had a delayed flight on 17th July from London Heathrow to San Jose in Costa Rica via Houston. The first flight was delayed which caused me to missing my connecting flight.

My first flight was delay by two hours due to a problem with the air conditioning result in the plane being hot. It delayed me for over two hours, meaning I arrived in Houston just under 2 hours late. As a result, I missed the connecting flight from Houston to San Jose. United Airline did give me a replacement flight free of charge.

As a result, I arrived in San Jose just over 4 hours late. I have booked both flight on the same ticket.

I searched online and I am not sure if it is an "extraordinary circumstance" and if I can claim for delay if I took a replacement flight which they arranged. I want to be sure before I write to the airline.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Philip
  • Timothea
    Timothea Posts: 177 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2015 at 1:46AM
    Options
    I have a tricky question.

Last year, I was booked to fly back home from New York to London on a full-service airline, with a scheduled stop of one hour (and a change of aircraft) in a third country (outside the EU). Both flights were on the same ticket number, reservation number and booking number. I was denied boarding in New York, and I was rebooked to fly to London the next day on the same airline but by a different route.

The airline has refused to pay any compensation. I intend to file a court claim against the airline soon (which is why I haven't named the airline). Is there any case law that says whether two connecting flights on the same airline constitute a single journey?

I have read the FAQs and Vauban's guide, but neither cover this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback