Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

1707172737476»

Comments

• EvaLewis
    EvaLewis Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    That has been their UK HQ for at least 20 years but it is possible it has been closed due to the pandemic. They operate out of terminal 2 at Heathrow so you might try the address as United Airlines, Terminal 2, London Heathrow, Hillingdon TW6 1EW
    Thanks for confirming and for the suggestion, that could be the solution for us  :)
    The court said the royal mail returned it as 'addressee gone away' so I did wonder if it was just temporarily closed or partially closed.
    On trying to get United to confirm the UK address, they told me that local offices couldn't receive any 'documents' and everything had to be emailed through their customer care - helpful as always!!!
  • Poptart
    Poptart Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi just wondering if anybody has any advice regarding our recent Heathrow to Orlando flight with Delta.

We ended up having to stay in 2 airport hotels (Heathrow and Atlanta) due to a cancelled and then delayed flight out of Heathrow - so effectively lost 2 nights in Orlando!

At the time we received a letter from Delta, explaining that the first flight had been cancelled due to tech issues and the fact that the staff could not work any longer on their shift (we ended up on the tarmac from 6 hours before cancellation).  The letter told us about the EU legislation regarding cancelled flights and there was a link to 'complaints' in order to claim compensation.

I thought it would be straightforward as they were essentially holding their hands up.  However, 2 months on and I've not heard a thing despite filling in their online form (twice).  I have also tweeted and sent a FB message.  I have now resorted to going through Resolver, again I have not heard anything!  

I'm at a loss as to what to do now.  I am obviously now going to escalate via Resolver - but is there anything else that I could be doing in the meantime do you think?

Many thanks
  • I booked flights from Manchester to Orlando USA with a layover of 2 hours in JFK USA. The tickets were bought as one journey from Last Minute. The airline was Aer Lingus but JetBlue operated the flight from JFK to Orlando on the behalf of Aer Lingus. 

The flight from JFK to Orlando was delayed for 7.5 hours. The flight should have landed in Orlando about 9:30pm, but it ended up being 4am. 

I have contacted JetBlue about compensation and they have offered $200 travel credits for each passenger. I haven't accepted this and asked for cash, which they refused "We issue credit as a gesture of goodwill and an invitation for you to fly with us again".

Since this was offered, thanks to this forum, I have found a European Court Case where the passengers had tickets issued by Lufthansa from Brussels to San Jose California connecting at New York Newark onto United Airlines. It was this flight that was delayed by United and they said the same as JetBlue, it was not an EU airline or departing from the EU but the court held it still had liability and therefore were issued compensation. The court said there was no distinction between a delay in the first or second flight, so even though the delayed flight was not in the EU, we have transposed the law directly into UK law. I have contacted JetBlue with this information to which they have said "This regulation only applies to flights departing from the UK. Since your flight departed from the USA it doesn't qualify according to policy." 

I have checked the travel insurance policy and this isn't covered.

I have contacted Aer Lingus and they said the regulation applies to the operating airline, so they are unable to help.

I contacted Jet Blue via Resolver, it's been a week and they still haven't replied. When I log in to Resolver there isn't anything I can do to escalate it further.

Due to the distance of the flight and length of delay there is £350 each compensation at stake here.

Can someone please advise me on how I can pursue this further or if I should leave it?

Thank you!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure