🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Outbound: United is correct that you need to claim from the operating airline (i.e. Eurowings). Unfortunately, as fog is outside the control of the airline, no compensation is due. Inbound: Non-EU carrier departing a non-EU country = no compensation. You did well to get a travel voucher as you're due nothing.
  • Jennick359
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Would it be any use trying to go through my travel insurance to get some compensation? Or would I get the same reply?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jennick359 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Would it be any use trying to go through my travel insurance to get some compensation? Or would I get the same reply?

you would need to read through your policy documents. Some offer a minimal amount eg £20 for each 12 hour delay
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    I'm looking to claim for a delayed flight and would appreciate if someone can confirm I am understanding things correctly.

Last month we were booked on GLA - PHL - SFO under a single booking. It was a codeshare, booked through BA and operated by AA.

After boarding at Glasgow, the captain said they were having problems receiving some data file from AA, so the plane sat on the runway for just over 2 hours before taking off. The flight arrived in Philadelphia 1:43 late causing us to miss our connection to San Francisco.

AA booked us on the next flight which should have been in a couple of hours, however this rebooked flight itself was delayed by just over 3 hours due to bad weather.

We finally arrived in SFO 4:28 later than we were originally scheduled. Would have only been 2:10 late if the rebooked flight had not been delayed by weather.

Am I correct in thinking that it is the arrival time at the final destination that is taken into account here, so I have a valid claim? Am I also correct in thinking that the fact that the rebooked PHL - SFO leg was delayed due to weather has no bearing, as it is the GLA - PHL flight delay that caused us to miss the connection.

Also, although this was booked through BA, the claim should be made to AA as they operated both the flights?

I did make a successful claim against United last year, however it was a bit more straightforward.

Many thanks
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2018 at 10:29AM
    Options
    You are correct in all your assumptions. Claim against AA.
    The tech fault is not an EC. This was the initial and fundamental cause of your delay. AA may argue that the weather was to blame, but you seem to have all the times etc to hand as proof.
    The compensation due is based on your total journey - GLA > SFO, as confirmed by UK courts and Euro courts recently. So probably E600 each.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    The tech fault is not an EC. This was the initial and fundamental cause of your delay. AA may argue that the weather was to blame, but you seem to have all the times etc to hand as proof.
    The compensation due is based on your total journey - GLA > SFO, as confirmed by UK courts and Euro courts recently. Sp probably E600 each.

Great, thanks. Will let you know how I get on
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    The compensation due is based on your total journey - GLA > SFO, as confirmed by UK courts and Euro courts recently. So probably E600 each.

I made a claim against AA. A few days later I received a very apologetic phone call followed by an email confirming they would pay out.

£1048.28 received by bank transfer today :D
  • buffer2212
    buffer2212 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I made a claim against AA. A few days later I received a very apologetic phone call followed by an email confirming they would pay out.

£1048.28 received by bank transfer today :D

Wow that iis brilliant. I am interested in your comment about your successful claim against United. I have been fighting them for 2 years now for flight delay compensation. Was yours flight compensation??
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    buffer2212 wrote: »
    Wow that iis brilliant. I am interested in your comment about your successful claim against United. I have been fighting them for 2 years now for flight delay compensation. Was yours flight compensation??

Yes it was for a flight made from Glasgow to Newark last year which took off 6 hours late.

They were slow in processing the claim (it took them a month to get back to me) and were also slow in paying out (I had to remind them after 6 weeks with no sign of it) but I got the money in the end on the form of 2 prepaid cards - they paid £600 each instead of 600 Euros.
  • Geoff2rocku
    Options
    Recently my flight from Chicago ORD to Heathrow LHR was delayed by 5 hours. Having made a compensation claim through Resolver they have offered USD 100.00 each for my partner and I. Based on the EU ruling on delay time and distance of flight surely they should be obligated to paying USD 600.00 per person. Does anybody have any experience of a similar situation and should I be demanding the higher figure?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure