Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• sophie131
    sophie131 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Update:

I emailed AA after posting here... I did state in my email to them that although I had received miles that I now understood this was incorrect and I should have been provided the compensation.

I received a reply back this week - to fill in the forms for compensation! I sent those back and have received an email saying the payment has been authorised and I should expect the money in my account within 45 days. The email does say that any previously given voucher has been voided...assuming they're not going to follow up with removing miles as i've already spent them and it wasn't a voucher. I noticed with the compensation it's pretty thorough, signing to confirm that I accept this as full compensation and I relinquish my rights to claim further etc... that wasn't the case with the miles...and I do wonder if this has put me in a stronger position?

So it's looking pretty good at the moment although I won't count my chickens just yet... will update as soon as I know more.
  • sophie131
    sophie131 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Final update from me:

Money received into bank account - a little less than I was expecting(£400 each), but i'm not going to push it!
  • shaq365
    shaq365 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Just a wee question - we've successfully been offered compensation for a cancelled flight from United Airlines. In their email they state "You will receive your compensation in the form of a Visa Pre Paid Card." Is this normal for compensation or can you request a cheque instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I respond to the email. Thank you!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you are entitled to payment in cash, be it cheque, bank transfer, or cash. A prepaid credit card may have terms and conditions bound to it, limited use, time limit etc.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • shaq365
    shaq365 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Yes you are entitled to payment in cash, be it cheque, bank transfer, or cash. A prepaid credit card may have terms and conditions bound to it, limited use, time limit etc.

Thanks - I've replied with a request for the compensation via alternate methods!
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    shaq365 wrote: »
    Just a wee question - we've successfully been offered compensation for a cancelled flight from United Airlines. In their email they state "You will receive your compensation in the form of a Visa Pre Paid Card." Is this normal for compensation or can you request a cheque instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I respond to the email. Thank you!

We've just received 2 x prepaid Visa cards from United Airlines, each with a £600 balance for a Glasgow to Newark flight delayed by 6 hours, so I would say it is normal.

There is a year until they expire and they also say that the first 2 cash withdrawals at an ATM are free.

There is no mention of a daily withdrawal limit, so I'm hoping it is £300 and I can withdraw the entire £600 from each card without incurring fees. I will then deposit it in my bank account.

Also you might have to chase them for the money. They initially told me I would receive it within 6 weeks. After 8 weeks I sent an email reminding them I was still waiting, and the cards turned up about 2 weeks later.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't you mean €600 each. Remember you are not obliged to take the cards you can insist on cash.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Don't you mean €600 each. Remember you are not obliged to take the cards you can insist on cash.

Nope, definitely £600 each.

They said it would be issued in our local currency, and I admit I was expecting it to be around £525 or thereabouts, so was pleasantly surprised when I logged into the online management site to find £600 on each card.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    After going to the bank today, I can confirm that I was able to withdraw the full £600 from each of United Airline's prepaid Visa cards in one day.

I had to do it in 2 transactions per card, as my bank's ATM seems to have a £400 per transaction limit. However the actual card seems to allow at least £600 per day so the money is now in my bank account, quicker than a cheque would have cleared.
  • Jennick359
    Options
    Hi I really hope someone can help me even just a little bit. We travelled to the USA from Manchester back in December and we were delayed via our first flight (Manchester) due to fog i believe. This resulted in us missing our connecting flight at Germany and our following connecting flight in Newark. we ended up staying over in Germany until we could get on the next flight the next morning from a different airport direct to orlando. We were given a hotel and vouchers etc. Then on our return we went to check in to find we weren't on any of our flights originally booked. The lady at the desk explained because we missed our connecting flights outbound we were struck off so to speak. She eventually got us on 2 of our original flights and an additional 2 flights from there. Again we were delayed in Washington resulting in us missing our Germany connection flight to Manchester. We were delayed 8 hours this time and it was due to an electrical fault in the aircraft.
    United have responded to my email to say that our original flight - a United flight was operated by eurowings so we need to contact them for compensation.
    Our inbound flight was a us flagship carrier so the euopean regulation is not applicable but they recognise that our flight plans were negatively impacted so have sent $250 each in travel certificates.

I have tried to read this thread as much as I can and I am quite happy with the compensation if it was in cash as I don't intend to be going back anytime soon - is there a way to put this in an email as professionally as possible or am I best contacting a 3rd party as I really feel out of my depth with it all. And do I contact eurowings with the same letter I sent United originally or do I stand my ground with them as it was their flight just with a different carrier.
    Sorry if this doesn't make much sense - I've tried to put as much info as possible. I really hope Someone has some help to offer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback