Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You go about as for any other claim - if you don't have the statements anymore, ask them for a list of your charges since June 2001 and then claim for them. If you don't know your account number anymore, provide them with your address and birth date.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • SkintMonkey
    SkintMonkey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    I had an account with Barclays but closed it a year or two ago. I've been thinking about going through my old statements (yes I still have them all) to see whether I've been charged when shouldn't have been. Can I claim though as the account is closed?

Thanks in advance.
  • princesskez26
    Options
    I had an account with Barclays but closed it a year or two ago. I've been thinking about going through my old statements (yes I still have them all) to see whether I've been charged when shouldn't have been. Can I claim though as the account is closed?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes you are more than entitled to claim whether the account is active or not :D many people have claimed on closed accounts and had successes :j

Kez
    Member & fundraiser for Meningitis Research Foundation
  • SkintMonkey
    SkintMonkey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you are more than entitled to claim whether the account is active or not :D many people have claimed on closed accounts and had successes :j

Kez

Brilliant, thank you!
  • sheilae_2
    Options
    Hi, I had a joint account with my now ex partner up till two years ago, we were constantly being charged,
    I have just been in the local branch asking if i can claim the charges back and ive been told that due to me taking my name of the account that i cant. I have no idea if he, the ex, still uses the account but im not interested in the last two years, all i want to know is about the time that my name was on that account,
    what can i do? can i do anything? i dont think that he is using it so it will just be closed, is this just a way of the bank putting me off?
  • dan_saviola
    Options
    should i just walk into the halifax then with a cheque for £10 and ask at the counter? im guessing they'll give me some rubbish about not having my details anymore. STAY WELL CLEAR OF THE HALIFAX. before all this reclaim info came out, i had gone over my limit numerous times with my hsbc student account and they never charged me so fair play to them. hate halifax though!
  • sheilae_2
    Options
    is there anyone out there that can help?
  • hooby_groovy
    hooby_groovy Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm qualified to help, but I think from reading your notes that you should be able to claim for the period you had the joint account, however I'm not sure what would happen to any fees that would be refunded.

My suggestion would be, if possible (and I know its a difficult one) speak to the ex and find out his feelings and go for a joint effort to claim back fees, then split the difference.

Whether you can on your own? I'm not sure, but it sounds messy and I'm sure the bank would repay the amount back to your old account (which is now in the name of your ex) so I don't think you would actually see any money anyway and you may just be benefitting him.

Sorry I can't be more specific, good luck anyway
  • sharon_currie
    Options
    If you know the account number ect you should be entitled to claim back the charges half off course between your ex and yourself .Request all staements ect from opening account till you closed your name down from that account
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure