Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• sheilae_2
    Options
    Thats the problem, i can remember the sort code but thats all, the bank wont tell me what the account number was, i dont mind half of it going to him, well i do cause the swine left me in so much debt that i cant seem to get out of it! anyway. can i demand the account number from then? even if they dont provide me with the last two years, im not interested in what he has been doing, its just the time that my name was on it that i care about.
  • badgerinadress
    Options
    Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Last year I went through a period of severe financial hardship. I am self-employed part-time because I am a single parent to a disabled child. I had serious health problems and lost a lot of work.

As a result it got to the stage where I had to remortgage, but while this was going through I had to make reduced payments to several creditors including Halifax Credit Card Services.

This resulted in me getting a lot of extra charges for late payment and going over my agreed limit. In the end I sorted the remortgage and paid it off in full. the Halifax then closed the account.

I was wondering if there is any way of reclaiming these fees, even though the account is closed?

I have nothing to lose because I have no other accounts with the Halifax.
  • princesskez26
    Options

Last year I went through a period of severe financial hardship. I am self-employed part-time because I am a single parent to a disabled child. I had serious health problems and lost a lot of work.

As a result it got to the stage where I had to remortgage, but while this was going through I had to make reduced payments to several creditors including Halifax Credit Card Services.

This resulted in me getting a lot of extra charges for late payment and going over my agreed limit. In the end I sorted the remortgage and paid it off in full. the Halifax then closed the account.

I was wondering if there is any way of reclaiming these fees, even though the account is closed?

Yes you are more than entitled to claim whether the account is active or not :D

Good luck :j
    Member & fundraiser for Meningitis Research Foundation
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Even the Office of Fair Trading’s figure of £12 is still “extravagantly” higher than the cost of administering a late payment or going over your limit and therefore unlawful. All that happens is that the computer adds the charge to your account. You don’t usually even get a standard letter.<O:p</O:p

You can use the letter templates for bank charges with a little bit of customisation. The credit card companies usually try to use the OFT’s ruling as a justification that the charges are correct. They may offer the difference between the current £12 charge and any older and higher charges.

Unfortunately, the Financial Ombudsman will also only request that the company involved pays the difference between the current £12 charge and any older and higher charges, so is not an alternative to court proceedings for these claims.

Please read the Reclaim Bank Charges Help thread for information and the Reclaimed Bank Charges Success Stories and Reclaimed Bank Charges Success Stories II threads for inspiration.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • badgerinadress
    Options
    Thanks, both.

I'll take a look at everything tomorrow when I am less tired. :D
  • nikki26
    Options
    hi, this is my first attempt at posting so apologies if the layout is rubbish

i was wondering if its possible to claim back charges on an account when you've lost all the details of it
    i had an account with barclays for years and had numourous charges, it was eventually closed and i've since moved home and cant find a single bank statement and no idea what my account number was
    are they obliged to tell me when they suspect i may reclaim?

also, would handwritten letters be acceptable? i dont have access to a printer

any advice majorly appreciated
  • crazyworld_2
    Options
    Hi Nikki, from reading other threads on this and other forums, it appears that if you write a letter to the bank, giving them your name, date of birth, and your address at the time the account was open the bank should have details of the account.
  • princesskez26
    Options
    nikki26 wrote: »
    hi, this is my first attempt at posting so apologies if the layout is rubbish

i was wondering if its possible to claim back charges on an account when you've lost all the details of it
    i had an account with barclays for years and had numourous charges, it was eventually closed and i've since moved home and cant find a single bank statement and no idea what my account number was
    are they obliged to tell me when they suspect i may reclaim?

also, would handwritten letters be acceptable? i dont have access to a printer

any advice majorly appreciated

I would perhaps give them a ring 08457 555555 and see if they can help you out, also yes hand written letters are just as good as printed ones :D

Kez
    Member & fundraiser for Meningitis Research Foundation
  • dan_saviola
    Options
    plus, i heard in the newspapers that the judges at the small claims courts were going to throw out the cases and that the banks weren't going to react to the threat of taking them to court anymore?? is this true, if so it will mean that the whole process will be a waste wont it??
  • ally75
    ally75 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I had a current account with the halifax which got so out of hand due to bank charges that Halifax closed the account, can I still reclaim the charges?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure