🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• LozBingley
    LozBingley Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    I've been paid out on 1 bank account that was closed a year ago and 2 credit cards that I havent used (or had) for over 3 years! :D
    Got It & Spent It :dance:
    IKEA CARD = £120 charges = £175 received (146%)
    MARBLES = £450 charges = £370 received (82%)
    I.F. = £494 charges = £494 received (100%)
    CAPITAL ONE = £981 charges = £1,489.03 (152%)
    BARCLAYCARD = £580 charges = £786.12 (136%)
    On Hold :mad:
    A+L = £722 charges (target = 147%)
    BARCLAYS = £1,405 charges (target = 128%)
    BARCLAYS = £175 charges (target = 140%)
    ABBEY = £3,220 charges (target = 148%)
  • EleanorHolli
    Options
    Has anyone reclaimed bank charges if they have already closed the account? I closed my account 2 years (ish) ago but since doing that I have read the arcticles about people reclaiming charges and would like to do this from my previous bank. Anyone know if this is possible?
  • LozBingley
    LozBingley Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Click here :)

You are entitled to 6 years of charges, even on closed accounts! ;)
    Got It & Spent It :dance:
    IKEA CARD = £120 charges = £175 received (146%)
    MARBLES = £450 charges = £370 received (82%)
    I.F. = £494 charges = £494 received (100%)
    CAPITAL ONE = £981 charges = £1,489.03 (152%)
    BARCLAYCARD = £580 charges = £786.12 (136%)
    On Hold :mad:
    A+L = £722 charges (target = 147%)
    BARCLAYS = £1,405 charges (target = 128%)
    BARCLAYS = £175 charges (target = 140%)
    ABBEY = £3,220 charges (target = 148%)
  • EleanorHolli
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply, I will get the letter in the post in my lunch hour :)
  • Katyh_3
    Options
    I finally got paid by Abbey. I've not used account since last Oct.
    Took them 2 months to send statements. Then sent them both template letters from this site but they refused to pay out . Made a claim on moneyclaim (as per this site) and they have agreed to pay 65%
  • wintye
    wintye Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all

Please can someone direct me where I need to go. I have been looking for just over 1 hour but cannot find where I need to be.

Can you tell me where I need to go for an american express card that has since been closed and I don't have any details of my account and they won't givethem over the phone. What do I put on the DPA letter.

I also have catalogues that are on a payment plan and not sure how to go about claiming the charges back, are they just the standard bank letters but change the wordng to suit.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Always plan for your future, it's where you'll spend the rest of you're life ;)
  • IZZY01
    IZZY01 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Hi wintye,
    I would imagine that if you write, giving them your name, date of birth and address, also any previous addresses, they will have all your details. By law they must give you this info. Send you subject access request to:

AMERICAN EXPRESS
    PO BOX 68,
    BRIGHTON,
    BN2 1YL
  • wintye
    wintye Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    IZZY01 wrote: »
    Hi wintye,
    I would imagine that if you write, giving them your name, date of birth and address, also any previous addresses, they will have all your details. By law they must give you this info. Send you subject access request to:

AMERICAN EXPRESS
    PO BOX 68,
    BRIGHTON,
    BN2 1YL

Thank you for your info. I've somehow managed to get to court stages with A&L bank for charges but am stuck with the catalouges ones.

I'll get there. I would like to have the letters ready for Monday morning.

Thank you for all your help
    Claire
    Always plan for your future, it's where you'll spend the rest of you're life ;)
  • Hi, Just wondering if you are legally okay to re-claim bank charges back when your bank account has been closed.
    I banked with First Direct for over 12 years and just as I was about to start proceedings to reclaim charges etc they wrote to me and told me to visit my nearest bank and draw out my money!
    This was back in February this year.
    I will be owed loads by first direct as they took pleasure in knocking back direct dibits on me, sometimes 4 in one day! and then they would also slap an un-authorised overdraft fee on me too for good measure!
    Please can someone who knows please advise.
    My view is that it's still my money even though i'm no longer with them.
    Thanks.
  • Jonmurgie
    Jonmurgie Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can so just follow the usual advice on the forum and the main site article :)

I should add, I know as I'm just starting the process with a Barclays account that was closed last November...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport