Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Options
    happyg wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if i can reclaim my bank charges from my old account.
    ive not had it for ten years and i dont have the account no but i know i was charged a lot during my time at barclays.
    If so does anyone know how i go about getting my old account no.

You can reclaim further back than 6 years using the statute of limitations act to bolster your case.

Section 5 of the Statute Of Limitations Act states that the action (claim) must be brought within 6 years of the cause of action (charge). This is what they would rely on in court. You can use this portion of the act in any communications with them and not just at court level.

You can defend this statement using this section of the same act (c) which states:
    Section 32
    (1) .... where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either-
    (a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or
    (b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or
    (c) the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;
    the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

Its a bit strong to accuse the bank of fraud and probably better to imply they made a 'mistake'.

With regard to your details write your Subject Access Request for full details of the account you held with them. Provide your full name and address, date of birth, dates account opened and closed if possible and the name of your local branch may prove helpful in tracing your account.

Its a bit sneaky to do so but you can put in your SAR that you require full details ( for tax purposes perhaps :rolleyes: ), and not just those of default charges. You dont want to give them any excuse to claim they are unable to find your account and make the job any harder than it needs to be.

Another thing you can do is check with your utility companies if you paid bills from the account they may have record of the account number. At a stretch your employer of the time may have record ( mine didnt, they only kept details like that for 6 years).
    Good luck :)
  • Dazza20
    Options
    Hi

I have an outstanding debt with Barclays Bank plc which in turn has been sold to Hillesden Securities Limited. The outstanding balance is circa 1,600.

I have added up the total charges applied to my account within the last six years and this basically adds up to the £1,600.

Can I request the bank re-opens my account and refunds all bank charges ? This would basically erase the debt on record.

What is the opinion on this ?

I have no idea ! I would of thought it would be possible ??

Please advise !!
  • CROOKEDJO
    CROOKEDJO Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be persistant, closed my HSBC account 4 years ago but still claiming for the two which I can although took them a long time to find my statements. x
  • s_t_e_ve
    Options
    In lhe last few years i have cleared off a couple of credit cards, one barclaycard and one capital one.

Unfortunately I dont have any details of these accounts and no longer live at the same adress they were registered to.

Does anyone have some more knowledge than me on this subject of just how i could acquire my old details and make a claim for the charges?

Cheers

Steve
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Starting a new thread regarding this subject.

Yes you can. If you no longer have the account number and branch sort code please send the bank or credit card company your name with any changes that may have happened, any relevant addresses and your date of birth and this should help them trace your account.

As always read Martin's article and then read it again before you start your claim and you'll find the addresses you need along with lots of other very useful information in the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Bank Charges Video Guide | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip

• IRNBRU4U
    Options
    Could you advise me please?

I had credit cards and a bank overdraft during a five year period from 1998 to
    2003. Since then I have paid off the outstanding balance and cancelled my cards (2003). Am I eligible to claim back penalty or bank charges I incurred during this period (1998-2003), or just the last six years? If so, how do I do this? Andy, Glasgow.
  • LozBingley
    LozBingley Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    IRNBRU4U wrote: »
    Could you advise me please?

I had credit cards and a bank overdraft during a five year period from 1998 to
    2003. Since then I have paid off the outstanding balance and cancelled my cards (2003). Am I eligible to claim back penalty or bank charges I incurred during this period (1998-2003), or just the last six years? If so, how do I do this? Andy, Glasgow.

You can only claim charges from the past 6 years - anything after 3-Jul-2001 (at todays date)

The sooner you start the more you can claim!

All you need to know is here -> http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

Use the template letters and ask for statements if you don't have them from 2001 - they can only charge you a max of £10 for the lot (not £10 each ;))
    Got It & Spent It :dance:
    IKEA CARD = £120 charges = £175 received (146%)
    MARBLES = £450 charges = £370 received (82%)
    I.F. = £494 charges = £494 received (100%)
    CAPITAL ONE = £981 charges = £1,489.03 (152%)
    BARCLAYCARD = £580 charges = £786.12 (136%)
    On Hold :mad:
    A+L = £722 charges (target = 147%)
    BARCLAYS = £1,405 charges (target = 128%)
    BARCLAYS = £175 charges (target = 140%)
    ABBEY = £3,220 charges (target = 148%)
  • IRNBRU4U
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply. I cancelled my cards in 2003, so essentially I can only really apply for the period of charges between 2001 - 2003? As opposed to the total duration of five years (1998 - 2003) in which I was charged and possessed my active accounts? Andy, Glasgow.
  • karyn_p
    karyn_p Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just wondering if you can claim bak charges from accounts that have already been closed for at least 3years>? :confused:
    Served Court Notice with Abbey :confused:
    Barclaycard have paid up :T
    Capital One have paid up :T

Written a letter of complaint to Barclays, as apparantly they can't find my Account details :mad:
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you can, but only for 6 years from now, not the last 6 years of you having your account.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure