Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• curlylox
    Options
    We were booked on a flight from Palma to Edinburgh on the 13/09 and we had a 21 hour flight delay inc an overnight in a grotty hotel. I contacted Easyjet a few days after our return and they explained the delay was non- extraordinary and they will be paying 800 euros compensation for 2 of us back to the card we booked with! This was a huge inconvenience but we are very impressed that Easyjet have not tried to fob us off! Just wanted to alert others who may have been on the flight or know someone who was. Great customer service.
    :)I used to have a life............................... before MSE!!
  • admac279
    Options
    Many thanks for your easy-to-follow guide enabling us to obtain very satisfactory compensation from Easyjet.

Cheers.

Alan Mac:j
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Curly lox, many thanks for that info. I was on that cancelled then delayed flight. I was going towards the view that the first flight was cancelled and our Sunday flight, new flight number, was late so going to try two times 400 euros each. Easyjet staff were issuing 2 complaints forms per person for us to do that but it's good to hear you got something.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was delayed on a flight back to the UK by EasyJet. Originally told that the delay was caused by a fault on the aircraft on its way to the UK which would have to be repaired before it could leave the UK to Crete.

When it finally arrived in Crete we were boarded quickly and told they were going to have to turn off the lights/ water/ air/ computers etc whilst the part was checked again as is allegedly required after the first flight with a new component. After a couple of hours in the dark with no water etc we finally told that the component still wasnt working properly so they'd turned it off. We were originally told we couldnt fly without it (deicer) despite not needing it hence why the plane had been delayed leaving the UK in the first place.

The crew also made a big thing about them not being the original planned crew but no explanation on the change of crew or if this added anything to the timescales.

We eventually arrived back in the UK circa 8 hours after the intended landing time. On the plus side the Gatwick Car Parking people were great and waived the extra fees due.

Response from EasyJet has simply been that its exceptional circumstances caused by a part failure and thus claim on hold subject to the supreme court judgement. Does this sound right?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Response from EasyJet has simply been that its exceptional circumstances caused by a part failure and thus claim on hold subject to the supreme court judgement. Does this sound right?

Yes, I would have thought it does.
  • curlylox
    curlylox Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Comeandgo

I asked Easyjet about the second flight but they told me we would only get one lot of compensation, good luck though! Please post if you get it and I will try again! I was told by the person on the phone that the complaint forms that were filled in in the airport are nothing to do with compensation - only to help the airport improve their level of service! We have now had the payment made into our account!
    :)I used to have a life............................... before MSE!!
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi, just thought I would update re my claim with Easyjet.

Court served the papers which were returned marked 'return to sender'. As 14 days passed and there was no response I filled in the judgement form. Last week we received our CCJ of approx £1420 :T They have been given until the 29 Oct to pay. If they don't I will send the bailiffs round.

Not sure if that is their strategy as most of their CCJ's are still listed as not satisfied so maybe they don't pay unless they are enforced :think:
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • wakemansof8
    Options
    Wondering if anyone could help with this.
    My 21 yr old son was taking his girlfriend to Paris last weekend and was due to fly out from Gatwick on Friday night
    After waiting for over 8 hrs, EasyJet confirmed that the flight was cancelled.
    EasyJet have said that my son and girlfriend could be compensated 300 euros each. The flights & the hotel cost my son 635 euros.
    Does anyone think I could ask for more compensation? Perhaps for the amount of time they waited?
    Would really appreciate any input. My son saved for months for this weekend! Many thanks
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He can ask but it's the chance easyJet will reimburse his lost hotel accommodation is pretty much zero. If he has travel insurance he can probably claim the cost on that. Assuming they ended up not going he will entitled to a refund of the flight costs in addition to any cash compensation.
  • wakemansof8
    Options
    Hello
    Thank you for your prompt response. There is mention on the easyjet form 'of additional expenses - eg accomondation.'
    My son does have receipts for this. Surely the Easyjet are liable for these costs as if they hadnt cancelled the flight, he would have got to his hotel for the weekend? However the basic compensation will almost cover what the weekend has cost him so far.Am hoping they'll compensate a bit for the 8hr plus wait at Gatwick on Friday night?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback