Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• TBIRD
    TBIRD Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    As repeated on numerous occasions the recommendation of this forum is not to involve the CAA as it may be detrimental to your case. Just a reminder that easyJet contribute a significant amount to assist in the running of the CAA.

Thanks for the tip ! Sorry for some reason I thought the CAA would be helpful in the matter? At least that's what I've read everywhere else. I've yet to actually send the report... should I not submit and then go straight to court?

Do you have any evidence/links that I could use/read/go over regarding easyjet's relationship with the CAA?

cheers in advance,
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TBIRD wrote: »

Do you have any evidence/links that I could use/read/go over regarding easyjet's relationship with the CAA?

"The UK Government requires that the CAA’s costs are met entirely from its charges on those whom it regulates."

Given the size of easyJet compared to other UK airlines (other than possibly BA) you can see from > http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2345
    that their contribution to the CAA is going to be large!
  • raddy59
    raddy59 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got this today for a delayed flight in early September (email)

"Thank you for your email and firstly we are sorry that your flight was disrupted when travelling with us. In a recent ruling by the High Court of the United Kingdom it has been ruled that technical issues relating to the operation of the aircraft in most cases cannot be exempt from compensation.

Whilst we were not specifically involved in this case it is our understanding that the airline involved is now seeking a further appeal in this matter to the Supreme Court. On this basis we are awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court before considering our position further in relation to this.

Because of this we have put your case with us on hold; your case reference is 100344774 and can be quoted when corresponding with us.

Once the Supreme Court has ruled on this matter and we have determined that compensation is indeed payable we will contact you to arrange payment. We recognise that there are several claims companies operating that may claim they will be able to obtain compensation on your behalf earlier, charging you up to 30% of the value of the compensation; this is not the case as we will also be defending / holding these types of actions pending the outcome of the Supreme Court. We commit that once the legal process is complete, likely to be in mid to late 2015 and if compensation is owing we will pay this directly to you in full.

Whilst I appreciate that this is not the outcome you were hoping for we work really hard to keep our costs and ultimately your fares low. The potential increase in costs by paying compensation far in excess of the fare price places a huge financial burden on us as an airline and will ultimately lead higher fares for all which is not in the long-term consumer interest. It is for this reason that we are awaiting the outcome of the legal process before proceeding."

Tempted to go to the CC

Any opinions, as ever, greatly appreciated
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    raddy59 wrote: »
    Any opinions, as ever, greatly appreciated

have a read of the Huzar thread
  • Captain_Flymo
    Captain_Flymo Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 16 October 2014 at 8:54AM
    Options
    My fiancee and I had a 5 hour delay on a flight home from Belfast to Bristol recently and we too received the ridiculous pack of lies form response. It is not true that claims companies aren't winning, they are (only last month there was a question and answer in the Grauniad on this very topic), and as I understand it, in the Jet2 case to which EasyJet are referring, Jet2 were actually refused leave to appeal but applied anyway so it's a lot of rubbish. The law as it stands right now is clear and EasyJet are hoping that people will just forget to pursue things.

I am trying to find out now what the best next step is: I think it will likely be replying to EJ and telling them that if they do not settle within 28 days I will issue small claims proceedings where I will seek the full amount plus costs plus the cost of a day of my time (I am a freelance software developer so I would lose a day's wages to attend court) plus reasonable travel costs. I am hoping that they would then pay up what is owed rather than have to go to the trouble of defending a very shaky case, especially given their misleading email.

Of course, if this won't work then I'm not keen on spending the money, so does anyone know of any recent cases where people have received this form response, pursued via small claims and been successful?

Cheers
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Huzar thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4815669
    note, many are having their court cases stayed by judges due to this appeal
  • Captain_Flymo
    Options
    Bott & Co, the law firm who acted for the passenger in the Jet2 case, says that although a few cases are being stayed, most are progressing. In late September they had settled 5 cases in a week and 32 in the month. I don't think I can post links yet, but Google 'Guardian EasyJet Compensation' and it should be the first page that appears.
  • WPC123
    WPC123 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Captain Flymo - suggest you email Bott & Co for latest position as any solicitor will take on cases however if they cannot progress (say due to Huzar) you are still committed to them. If the Supreme Court dismiss the appeal or indeed if they allow it to proceed but Jet2 lose, again, it will be far easier (hopefully) for the claimant to win however you may well then be signed up to giving away your 30%.
  • Captain_Flymo
    Options
    Yes, I intend to pursue without a solicitor or claim handler it's worth the fees. I have a few friends who are solicitors so I'm going to ask them if they think it's worth submitting a small claim action or waiting.
  • raddy59
    raddy59 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you could relay their advice I would be very grateful
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business