Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pauln said:
    Hi, does anyone know how you can get documented evidence of the reason for a flight delay?  I was flying with Ryanair from Leeds/Bradford to Malaga on 10th Feb and departure was delayed for 8 hours due to air conditioning failure.  The automated Ryanair email just says the flight was delayed but doesn’t give the reason which I need for my travel insurance claim. Thanks
    Have you submitted a claim to Ryanair for compensation for the delay yet?  They are liable to pay fixed tariff compensation of £350pp unless the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances beyond their control, so they should either accept the claim (which you could then pass to your insurer) or give some sort of indication of a reason why they'd reject it, in which case you can take it to Aviation ADR if you feel it's inaccurate.  If you're considering a claim under a flight delay clause within your travel insurance, these are often significantly less generous that those that the airlines should pay so generally worth pursuing with the airline, at least in the first instance....

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delay-compensation/
  • kokolino23
    kokolino23 Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/how-to-complain-about-a-ryanair-flight/

Edit: cross-posted, you found this independently!  In terms of evidence, as well as any communications from Ryanair, both at the time and in response to your claim, you should supply anything that endorses why you're challenging Ryanair's rejection.  For example, if you're disputing the severity of the weather conditions earlier on, then what supports that, or if you're suggesting that the knock-on delays were within the airline's control then you'd need to make that case with as much evidential support as possible....

Hello,
    I now have all the information I need. Other flights departed without any delay from Bucharest and I also found that other flights including Ryanair landed in Bristol that evening so I don't know why our flight got delayed.
    The flight that I reffering to initially was from Bristol to Dublin and was delayed indeed, the departure was scheduled for 15:05 but got delayed unitl 16:35 and was eventually diverted to Belfast. However, this flight was meant to arrive in Dublin at 16:05 and the other Ryanair aircraft scheduled for Bucharest was meant to depart at 16:00 so the Dublin flight couldn't have any impact on its departure.
    Something if fishy and Ryanair didn't tell us why our flight from Bucharest to Bristol got delayed.
    Anyway, I don't know where to complain further because on aviationadr, the flight must have either departed from, or arrived in, Spain ?!

• eskbanker
    Options
    eskbanker said:

Edit: cross-posted, you found this independently!  In terms of evidence, as well as any communications from Ryanair, both at the time and in response to your claim, you should supply anything that endorses why you're challenging Ryanair's rejection.  For example, if you're disputing the severity of the weather conditions earlier on, then what supports that, or if you're suggesting that the knock-on delays were within the airline's control then you'd need to make that case with as much evidential support as possible....
    Hello,
    I now have all the information I need. Other flights departed without any delay from Bucharest and I also found that other flights including Ryanair landed in Bristol that evening so I don't know why our flight got delayed.
    The flight that I reffering to initially was from Bristol to Dublin and was delayed indeed, the departure was scheduled for 15:05 but got delayed unitl 16:35 and was eventually diverted to Belfast. However, this flight was meant to arrive in Dublin at 16:05 and the other Ryanair aircraft scheduled for Bucharest was meant to depart at 16:00 so the Dublin flight couldn't have any impact on its departure.
    Something if fishy and Ryanair didn't tell us why our flight from Bucharest to Bristol got delayed.
    Anyway, I don't know where to complain further because on aviationadr, the flight must have either departed from, or arrived in, Spain ?!
    Have you actually tried the AviationADR form?  Their website is contradictory but in other places states that it applies to flights to the UK, so it would seem that the only thing to do is to try it:
    The airline sector covers complaints against any Ryanair flight where the flight in question arrived or departed (or was due to arrive/depart) from a Spanish Airport.
    Ryanair, Which we can accept any flight that either had a destination or departure airport of the UK or Spain or Denmark
    https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/initial-complaints-check-page/
    1.1 Aviation ADR will only accept Ryanair complaint if your flight either had a destination or departure of a a UK or Spanish airport.
    https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/completing-the-form-for-ryainair/
  • Steadyeddie_2
    Steadyeddie_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, looking to get some clarification on flight cancellation rights, specifically rerouting, as the good old t'internet is giving me conflicting information. 
    I had a flight booked with Ryanair from Ema to Malta on the 16th May which has now been cancelled due to 'commercial reasons'. There is one other flight on the day, same dep/arr with Jet2 which I would like to take,  but it's considerably more expensive. 
    I've spoken to 2 reps at Ryanair, one said we could book the other flight then claim the difference from Ryanair. The other said the complete opposite, stating that the flight date was too far away.
    Does anyone have any definitive advice please?
    Thanks 

• eskbanker
    Options
    Hi all, looking to get some clarification on flight cancellation rights, specifically rerouting, as the good old t'internet is giving me conflicting information. 
    I had a flight booked with Ryanair from Ema to Malta on the 16th May which has now been cancelled due to 'commercial reasons'. There is one other flight on the day, same dep/arr with Jet2 which I would like to take,  but it's considerably more expensive. 
    I've spoken to 2 reps at Ryanair, one said we could book the other flight then claim the difference from Ryanair. The other said the complete opposite, stating that the flight date was too far away.
    Does anyone have any definitive advice please?
    When cancelling a flight, the airline is obliged under articles 5.1(a) and 8.1 of the UK261 regulations to offer you the choice between a refund or rerouting (at their expense), regardless of how far in advance the cancellation is (if it's a short-notice one then other rights also accrue).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2004/261/contents

Exercising that right can be quite challenging though, especially with the likes of Ryanair, so buckle in for a fight!

You can also refer them to the CAA's guidance on such rerouting obligations, wherein clause 4.2 states:
    in circumstances where there is no re-routing option under Article 8(1)(b) on its own services or, where applicable, on the services of its partner airlines, on the same day as the original flight and via the same route, the CAA’s view is that the airline should next seek to identify rerouting options on the services of alternative airlines on the same day as the original flight and via the same route. If such a re-routing option is available, affected passengers should be offered the choice of this option...
    https://www.caa.co.uk/publication/download/18744
  • Steadyeddie_2
    Options
    Spoke to numerous people at Ryanair,  as you can imagine it's like pulling teeth. The responses range from totally clueless to downright rude!!
    The majority say that they wont pay for other airlines flights, although I get the feeling they are trained to peddle that line even though they know it's not true.
    Interestingly, if you use their form for compensation and expenses, there is an option for 'other airlines'
    The dilemma I have is, do I fork out over £500 for new tickets then try and claim it back, or just cut my losses and get a refund.
  • Steadyeddie_2
    Options
    These are extracts from their website 
  • Mhariolah
    Mhariolah Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    c'est_moi said:
    Do not get a refund. I kept all of my receipts and went through adr once Ryanair declared they would not refund me. Eventually adr agreed to all of my costs, apart for the taxis we had to take from the airport to the hotel (about £25 in total).

It will all depend on WHY the flight was cancelled. Ours was cancelled because our incoming plane was so very delayed that our airport shut down. If it was the weather or strikes then it will be declared out of Ryanair's control.

I guess you had to face to same horrible dillemma as we were. Stranded abroad with zero advice or support from the airline you had paid to fly you home.
    Update on my case.
    After about 8 months ADR awarded the compensation to us. Now waiting for Ryanair to pay in a total of £848 I know it can still take weeks or months to recover the money so fingers crossed. 
  • martin1959
    martin1959 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Another Ryan air question. Our outward flight at 16.30 has been cancelled on 21st April. It was an ideal time for us as it allowed us to get to the airport at a reasonable hour, and to accommodate our dog sitter. There is an earlier flight at 08.00 but that is not practical. We have 8 days accommodation booked, with a return on 29th.
    If we choose to reschedule to the same 16.30 flight a day earlier, are we entitled to claim for an additional nights hotel cost at the hotel we are staying in, and have already booked, from the 21st?
    The cost of the additional night is €250. If not, we would have to cancel and get refunds for both flights from Ryan air, and book with BA on the 21st, but from a different airport which is harder to get to.
    Like most, I have been given conflicting advice from Ryan air, who cannot tell me if the claim would be accepted, or if there is a maximum allowance for a hotel claim…

Thank you
    20 plus years as a mortgage adviser for Halifax (have now retired), and I have pretty much seen it all....:D
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi
    Another Ryan air question. Our outward flight at 16.30 has been cancelled on 21st April. It was an ideal time for us as it allowed us to get to the airport at a reasonable hour, and to accommodate our dog sitter. There is an earlier flight at 08.00 but that is not practical. We have 8 days accommodation booked, with a return on 29th.
    If we choose to reschedule to the same 16.30 flight a day earlier, are we entitled to claim for an additional nights hotel cost at the hotel we are staying in, and have already booked, from the 21st?
    The cost of the additional night is €250. If not, we would have to cancel and get refunds for both flights from Ryan air, and book with BA on the 21st, but from a different airport which is harder to get to.
    Like most, I have been given conflicting advice from Ryan air, who cannot tell me if the claim would be accepted, or if there is a maximum allowance for a hotel claim…

Thank you
    This under my understanding of the rules would not be the problem of the airline.

If you wish to cancel and book with another carrier, you are welcome to do this. This is your chance to negotiate with Ryanair from the available choices they have to offer, moving to the choices of other carriers on similar terms and comparable routings.

This would be different if you have a package booked but in general terms, your flights and accommodation are not linked to each other and are their own contracts that you have entered into separately.

This would be broadly comparable to me wanting a refund from Tesco (other supermarkets are available) for food because my fridge is not working.
    💙💛 💔
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure