Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Rosegirl_Deb
    Options
    This a copy of the letter they sent me. I just want to know the best way to respond.

Dear Mrs Fox,

We acknowledge receipt of your online claim dated 5th June 2015.

We sincerely regret the delay of your flight FR8869 from Tours to London Stansted on the 02/06/2015, which was caused due to an unexpected technical fault at the airport due to operate your flight.

Ryanair is committed to providing on time flights with safety being our number one priority. Occasionally, there are situations outside our control such as unexpected airport technical faults which disrupt our flights. We sincerely regret that this flight was one of these rare delayed flights. We confirm that all reasonable measures were taken to ensure that this flight departed with as short a delay as possible.

On the day of your flight delay you received an email message advising you how to avail of free call credit. This credit was issued in accordance with our obligations under Article 9(2) EU261/2004 in order to assist you in making any necessary calls due to the unfortunate delay of your flight.

However, as this delay was unexpected and therefore outside Ryanair’s control (extraordinary circumstances*) we regret to advise that no monetary compensation is due under EU Regulation 261/2004.

We note that refreshment vouchers were issued according to the time of delay.

If you incurred any additional reasonable receipted expenses during the delay, please submit copies of your receipted expenses by clicking on the below link and uploading your documents for our review. In order for us to speed up the process please add your bank details:

You can also track the status of your claim by clicking on this link.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you encountered.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Customer Service Department
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rosegirl Deb,
    Welcome to the Ryanair forum and well done for finding us and posting in the right place.
    I feel for you with the experience you have suffered, back in the day mine was similar too and with kids it really hurts.
    Now your next steps- step one is read my post #569, step two is to have a good read of Vaubans guide if you haven't already done so.
    Once you have read these you will have a good base knowledge of the case law that surrounds this, and how to go about making your claim.
    Please don't be daunted by all of this, help is always here to guide you through every step of this process, that is just how this place works.
    We'll speak soon, for now start your reading and then get your NBA/LBA off to Ryanair....
    Good luck and keep going.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rosegirl - RA will probably do everything other than admit liabilty until it goes to court, even then they may fight it. Alas, despite the harshness of your situation, they are not liable for any costs after delivering you to Stanstead. Which is why the reg 261/2004 came into effect, to compensate the inconvenience caused by cancellations, denied boarding and delays.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • james_lawless
    Options
    Hi folks,

I flew from Limoges (France) to East Midlands last Tuesday (2nd June). My flight was initially due to depart at 10:35 and just before we were due to take-off we were disembarked. The pilot told us that the right engine was showing a fault and that an engineer was needed to reset this. the engineer was in Italy and had to be flown in.

We were all given a €5 voucher and spent a few hours in the airport. We were then re-boarded and had to spend a short time idling on the runway. The pilot told us that this delay was caused by the resubmission of the flight-plans following a delay. After a delay of just over three hours we took off and it was pretty clear the pilot had put the hammer down to try and get us back within the three hour delay time. We were about to land 2 hours and 59 minutes late BUT we had a missed approach and a go-around due to wind. The airport was operating normally - the flight behind us landed without problems and we were successful on the second attempt.

By the time we arrived I had an email waiting from Ryanair claiming Extraordinary Circumstances (unspecified). I used their online chat facility to ask which they were claiming and the rep told me that the delay was due to ATC. I have kept a copy of this chat record.

I've lodged my claim, and a claim on behalf of five friends travelling on a separate booking made by me.

Having read some of the case law and lots of posts here it appears that I have a genuine recourse to compensation, but I'd like your thoughts?

I'll keep you posted on the outcome!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clearly RA are running scared if they email on landing denying any liability for a 261/2004 delay. How can they have "investigated" the flight already? That would immediately make me suspicious.
    The vast majority of your delay was caused by the engine defect (not EC)
    One could argue that RA's normal "hasty" landings won't have helped a missed approach. What time did the doors actuall open as thats the time the clock stops, not touch down.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • james_lawless
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    What time did the doors actuall open as thats the time the clock stops, not touch down.

Flight was scheduled to arrive at 11:15. According to flight states, arrival was 14:30. I had the email from them at 1506.

The email was quite clearly auto-populated.
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Having read some of the case law and lots of posts here it appears that I have a genuine recourse to compensation, but I'd like your thoughts?

james_lawless,
    Welcome to the Ryanair Forum.
    You certainly do have a case, if you need any help with this then post back on here.
    Good luck and keep going.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • farci
    farci Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    EU261 rules state a 2-hour + delay as the starting point for compensation, but Ryanair states 3 hours. Which is correct?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3 hours - read Vauban's guide.
  • Corbo
    Corbo Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I don't think anyone has received compensation from Ryanair! I even sent them a letter calling them 'Ryan'dont'care and i still had no response so i've instructed a solicator to take the case up. They are also struggling but have assured me they will sort it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback