Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ttoli wrote: »
    Your contract with the airline was a flight from London , which they have honered

If you're going to give rubbish advice at least check your spelling. Honered? Seriously?
    Pants
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,008 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Our car had been booked in at LGW so as we was would coming back there we had to book a transfer both ways which cost £160.

BA will usually agree to fund reasonable expenses. They obviously think that £160 is unreasonable. You only need a one way transfer - either leave your car at Gatwick and transfer to heathrow for your outbound flight or leave your car at Heathrow and transfer on your return.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £50 is their standard payment for taxi transfers when a flight is cancelled, and of course, they only cover the cost airport to airport, not from home!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    This part of your post doesnt make sense

Our car had been booked in at LGW so as we was would coming back there

did the flight return to LGW, if so you only needed to get from LGW to LHR after leaving your car there
  • cletus1
    cletus1 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So the burning question is do I have a claim

flew back in to the UK yesterday, we where supposed to land at Gatwick the flight was diverted to Heathrow, no issue with that i fully understand the reasons for this BA decided not to to let us off the plane as they were waiting for gatwick to reopen, they kept us in the plane for over three hours a few of us wanted to get off but where told no

Had they let me off I could have made my own way to Gatwick so does holding me "prisoner" on the plane count as a delay ?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 December 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    This is a common issue. I stand to be corrected but I don't believe that there is a delay claim under the regulations. The issue of being detained on the aircraft at a different airport is quite common but so far as I know it hasn't been tested in Court. anyone know better? The problem is that they airline prefers to keep everyone together so either everyone gets off or no one does. There would be a practical problem in indentifying and removing the baggage of a few passengers.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    I think you might have a claim but not sure. How long had Gatwick been closed by the time you should have landed?. Normally if you are diverted the airline would put on buses to get you back to your original airport. Had BA done this you would have arrived back at Gatwick within the 3 hour limit before compensation kicks in. What happened after the 3 hours? did you get bussed to Gatwick or how did you get back?
  • cletus1
    cletus1 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 December 2018 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Gatwick was closed before we the plane took off, although BA neglected to tell us that, the first we knew of the closure was when we started to head towards France (normally fly over Cornwall on that route)

the captain then made the announcement of the closure at that point he did not know where we going to land !

later in to the trip he advised us that the flight would be diverted to Heathrow

we where eventually put on a bus after sitting on the stand at LHR for 4.5 hours.

The bus got to Gatwick 5.5 hours after we landed at LHR but as the airport did not reopen that never happened

BA wanted to fly the jet from LHR to LGW and kept everyone on board
  • Justice13075
    Options
    It could go either way but go on to their site and make a claim and see what they say. Pointing out that they knew the airport was closed before you set off to come back to the UK and also that if they bussed you to Gatwick you would not have had the delay
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    Yes but hold on. If they had cancelled the flight altogether, you'd have been delayed even more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback