Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• legal_magpie
    Options
    At the risk of repeating myself (see other threads) there is an old maxim amongst lawyers that you should not make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out. So, if you told them that if they didn't accept your claim within 14 days you would sue them, then you should do it. If you don't and, say, send a follow up letter you will destroy your credibility
  • rpoitoux
    Options
    No response as well... Glad to see I'm not the only one!
  • Rolyan
    Rolyan Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assumed as much LegalMagpie, but would hate to do that, only to find those more experienced saying that it’s worthwhile waiting an extra week. I’m not a lawyer, so thought it would be good to ask. It’s a technique I use quite often when I’m not sure of something.

I’ll wait until the 14 days are up, then I’ll send the NBA. Then when they ignore that I’ll get in touch with Botts. Question: I assume I can still use a claim company after trying to do it myself (girds loins!)
  • Rolyan
    Options
    2 quick questions if anyone is able to help.

1) I stated in my first letter that I wanted a response within 14 days. Is this normally expected to be working days or calendar days?

2) Can I still use a delay solicitor like Botts if I have already tried with BA through the letter, then the NBA, but had no response and/or been rejected.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would appear that the 14 days are up whichever way you calculate it. Yes, you can use bott if you don't want to do it yourself.
  • terry_mcgow
    Options
    dear forum basically my holiday flights were cancelled, I was due to depart Newcastle to Heathrow then onto san Francisco this was on the 5th oct, BA stated they had done all it could and had got us on another flight the next morning, with that I asked BA if they could give 100% answer that those flights would not be cancelled BA could not give us any guarantees, with that we decided to get a flight to Heathrow later that day so at least we had a fighting chance of getting a flight to san Francisco, we were put up overnight in a hotel by BA after making several complaints, we did eventually get to san fran a day late losing a days holiday, on return we contacted BA, who from the outset denied any wrong doing on there behalf stating SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS, this was the beginning of October and no such weather existed, they have denied that this issue is covered by any EU law and so offered not a penny in compensation. CAN ANYONE HELP. What can I do now.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Everything depends on why your flight was cancelled. If it was weather you're not entitled to compensation. If you don't believe BA you can take it further with CEDR (an alternative dispute resolution site) or money claim online (MCOL).
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Rolyan
    Options
    I started my my claim on 21.11.18, so by my calculation it’s only 11 working days so far. I should have put that in my question above.

It’s no big deal, just that if it’s calendar days I’ll do the next bit today. Either way there’s no rush, I just prefer to do it right and wondered which the right way was.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Also, try euclaim and see what they say
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family