Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• jacqhale
    jacqhale Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I thought I would be fair to Thomson and have waited the 56 days they said it could take for them to respond to my initial webform contact for flight delay compensation (14 hour delay from Rhodes > Bristol due to pilot sickness). I have emailed again using the customer.legal email addres I saw a couple of pages back with no response.
    Downloaded Vauban's guide (thank you!) and it mentioned making a social media post so I posted on Twitter asking how long it would take to resolve, they responded it would be looked at in due course! I responded saying they had the 56 day timescale they advised me of, they responded saying there is no set timescale they have to respond by!
    So looking at people's experience with the CEDR I have printed off an NBA with our details using the template in Vauban's guide and I will send off recorded delivery today. Thinking it cuts out a step if they just ignore any dispute resolution or judgements made. Hopefully they will respond to this letter and avoid legal action but everything I read makes me think it will be more of a fight for me :-(
    I will let you know how I get on :-)
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bear in mind the CAA has no teeth and cannot force an airline to payout.

Actually they can. They just choose not to.
  • gavvy
    gavvy Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    jacqhale wrote: »
    So I thought I would be fair to Thomson and have waited the 56 days they said it could take for them to respond to my initial webform contact for flight delay compensation (14 hour delay from Rhodes > Bristol due to pilot sickness). I have emailed again using the customer.legal email addres I saw a couple of pages back with no response.
    Downloaded Vauban's guide (thank you!) and it mentioned making a social media post so I posted on Twitter asking how long it would take to resolve, they responded it would be looked at in due course! I responded saying they had the 56 day timescale they advised me of, they responded saying there is no set timescale they have to respond by!
    So looking at people's experience with the CEDR I have printed off an NBA with our details using the template in Vauban's guide and I will send off recorded delivery today. Thinking it cuts out a step if they just ignore any dispute resolution or judgements made. Hopefully they will respond to this letter and avoid legal action but everything I read makes me think it will be more of a fight for me :-(
    I will let you know how I get on :-)

I doubt the NBA will do anything- they ignored mine that I sent on June 30th.

As others have said, the only real way to get any reply is to start the court process.
  • smartly
    smartly Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But you have to send the NBA before you can start the court process
  • Fififlower14
    Options
    Thanks for reply and assistance.
    I have read Vauban's Guide.
    However, MS makes it very difficult to comprehend and remember all advice!
    I have since heard from Thomson who now say as I am claiming via CEDR they won't liase
    with me!!
    Unbelievable, 9 weeks since CEDR's Adjudicator's decision, they still have not paid!
    My fear regarding reporting CEDR to CAA is upsetting the very company whose help I need!!

This is a ridiculous process and leaves me little faith in any of these companies.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    I can understand your frustration but given Thomson's persistent failure to comply with CEDR's decisions, it is CEDR who should be reporting this to the CAA. The reason they won't is because they get paid a good fee for each case they deal with and their position is that once they've given an adjudication, their role is at an end because the arbitration process is voluntary. They have no means to enforce it.
    So you should be:
    (a) Reporting to CEDR that Thomson have failed to honour their decision
    (b) Similarly reporting to the CAA (if enough people do this CAA will have to do something
    (c) perhaps reporting it to Which and the press
    (d) Suing Thomson and relying on the CEDR adjudication
    I'm afraid that simply whingeing about it won't get you results.
  • Fififlower14
    Options
    Legal Magpie,
    Thank you for your assistance regarding this matter.
    I assure you, I'm not 'whinging' about the lack of compensation, just asking those on this forum, who perhaps have more knowledge, for their assistance.
    I'm very sorry if you feel this comes across as whinging.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies. No offence intended. Now go and give Thomson hell.
  • DanceBiscuits83
    Options
    Hi all,
    In a nutshell, my partner was sent a cheque for £563.81 (about 631 Euros) as compensation for a delay of 24+ hours on a Thomson flight of 2,864km (Rhodes to UK). It took us about 4 months to get that cheque.

Looking at the rules, we believe we're supposed to have been compensated 400 Euros (about (£357 GBP) each for this delay. We pointed that out to Thomson on email to their Aftertravel.Flightdelay @ etc address, and they have not replied in almost 2 months now.

Anyone know how to pursue this? I know their email formula is firstname.surname etc but I can't find anyone who would deal with this via the usual searches of LinkedIn and so on. They don't respond on Facebook or Twitter either, except to say 'email the Aftertravel.Flightdelay team'.

Even if we're wrong about the amount we're owed, you'd think they'd come back and say so?

Thanks for your advice.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This shouold be on Thomson thread, not your own thread, cluttering up the board.
    Assuming you have the correct distance and delayed over 4 hours you would appear to be correct in the amount you are owed.
    You'll probably have to use snail mail to get contact, give them a time limit, 3 weeks is more than reasonable and mark it as an NBA then if still no response start court proceedings for the remainder. Its an indefensible case so hopefully they will see sense.
    Also make a complaint to CAA.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family