🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• richje100
    richje100 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 13 September 2017 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Hi guys, after some advice.
    Flight home from Malaga to Cardiff was supposed to be at 9pm Malaga time. When we got to baggage check in a TUI rep told us there'd been an accident at Cardiff which meant the flight won't be leaving until around midnight and handed out €10 vouchers each for the 4 of us which was fine we accepted that these things happen.
    After we used the vouchers the flight boards said the expected departure was now 11:10 pm and gave us a boarding gate. Got through the last of passport checking to be joined by the rest of the flight (some180 of us).
    I knew we where coming back on the flight that was leaving Cardiff but until 10:30 it had only just left (should have been 4:20 uk time so they too were delayed).
    Eventually the plane arrives and at 2am (Malaga time )we are taxi'ing down the runway.
    Turns out a baggage truck had hit the plane and is now out of action as it couldn't be repaired in time so a spare plane was found.
    All in all we were delayed approx 5hrs.
    Reading the FAQ it seems it has to be the airlines fault. As it was the baggage guys are we likely to receive any compensation?
    What made it worse, not once did a TUI rep come to see us to explain that the time is wrong on the board or check in on us all. As we had all gone past the last passport check there was no return so we all had to put up with a vending machine for drinks/snacks.
    What also made me angry at the end of the flight they asked for donations to their charity yet we never even received a complimentary cup of tea/coffee and the only apology we had was from the pilot who explained what had happened.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm tired and starving lol.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    richje100 wrote: »
    Hi guys, after some advice.
    Flight home from Malaga to Cardiff was supposed to be at 9pm Malaga time. When we got to baggage check in a TUI rep told us there'd been an accident at Cardiff which meant the flight won't be leaving until around midnight and handed out €10 vouchers each for the 4 of us which was fine we accepted that these things happen.
    After we used the vouchers the flight boards said the expected departure was now 11:10 pm and gave us a boarding gate. Got through the last of passport checking to be joined by the rest of the flight (some180 of us).
    I knew we where coming back on the flight that was leaving Cardiff but until 10:30 it had only just left (should have been 4:20 uk time so they too were delayed).
    Eventually the plane arrives and at 2am (Malaga time )we are taxi'ing down the runway.
    Turns out a baggage truck had hit the plane and is now out of action as it couldn't be repaired in time so a spare plane was found.
    All in all we were delayed approx 5hrs.
    Reading the FAQ it seems it has to be the airlines fault. As it was the baggage guys are we likely to receive any compensation?
    What made it worse, not once did a TUI rep come to see us to explain that the time is wrong on the board or check in on us all. As we had all gone past the last passport check there was no return so we all had to put up with a vending machine for drinks/snacks.
    What also made me angry at the end of the flight they asked for donations to their charity yet we never even received a complimentary cup of tea/coffee and the only apology we had was from the pilot who explained what had happened.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm tired and starving lol.

Hi richje100,

Yes, you are due €400 each.

I was trapped at Malaga airport for 27 hours thanks to Jet2 so I know it well.

If you spent anything on food or none alcoholic drinks you could also claim that back if you have receipts.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the baggae truck hit your aircraft in Cardiff, before it left to pick you up?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • gavvy
    gavvy Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    So i have heard back from the court. As Thompson paid up before the court issued the papers but way after my nba what should i do? Wait to see what thompson come back with or return tbe bottom half of tbe form and ask thd court just to seek my fee?. or jusr suck up yhe fee and forget about chasing it?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you mean "issue" or "serve"? This is really important. Usually a claim is issued the day it is received and in the rare occasions when it isn't, the Court puts a "received" stamp on the papers. This is crucial in limitation papers. You should ask the Court to clarify. If the proceedings were issued before you got the payment, you should press on. In any event you have nothing to lose by waiting to see what Thomson do. They will probably file a "states paid" defence. At that point you could withdraw if you want.
  • gavvy
    gavvy Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    claim was issued on 14th. tge court sent it on the 15th and is deemed to be served on the17th. I received notification ftom thompson that they would pay on aug 4th this is a week after i sent in the court papers. The court took 11 working days to issue the claim
    Thompson srnd me a cheque on 9th.
  • richje100
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    So the baggae truck hit your aircraft in Cardiff, before it left to pick you up?

Yes. Apparently it's damaged the aircraft quite badly so it couldn't leave Cardiff.
  • richje100
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi richje100,

Yes, you are due €400 each.

I was trapped at Malaga airport for 27 hours thanks to Jet2 so I know it well.

If you spent anything on food or none alcoholic drinks you could also claim that back if you have receipts.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I've sent the claim off using the resolver tool on here. I'd imagine they'll receive claims from everyone affected including those stuck at Cardiff so it could take a while to get a response 😁.
    We did spend on food and drink but was nominal like €10 odd but no receipts as from a vending machine.
  • richje100
    Options
    How long claims usually take to reach a decision?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't hold your breath. Ages is the norm.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family