PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In my slow cooker today...

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tiff wrote:
    Carribean chicken and it smells gorgeous. Can post the recipe if anyone needs it but its the one in the MR instruction book that comes with the slow cooker. What would you serve with it, rice?
    THAT DOES IT Grrrr!

To start with - yes please tiff.

second - there are recipes popping up in all sorts of threads and they're not really off topic since many cover stretching meals or quick simple and CHEAP recipes. So my question is - is there a proper recipes thread/forum here somewhere - or are we now at the time where there SHOULD be one?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Washing-up liquid and water :)

Snap!!!!!! :rotfl:

I will get round to washing it out when everyone stops posting on this forum so I can get off the PC :D

Tonights dinner is the mince concoction I made last night, and will probably make some rice to go with it. Haven't got anything out the freezer yet for tomorrow but the caribbean chicken sounds yummy so might defrost some chicken ;) ... got no tinned peaches or pineapple either but I have got a fresh pineapple arrived today (knew I'd find a use for it LOL!) so will use that instead :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rwsteele wrote:
    THAT DOES IT Grrrr!

To start with - yes please tiff.

As Tiff appears to have gone offline at the moment I'll post the recipe for you :)

Caribbean Chicken

3 tbsp veg oil
    2 large onions, chopped
    4 sticks celery, chopped
    3 carrots, sliced
    500g mushrooms, sliced
    2 red peppers, sliced
    8 chicken joints, skinned
    400g can sliced peaches
    400g can pineapple chunks
    10 tbsp cornflour
    3 tsp paprika
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    8 tbsp malt/wine vinegar
    1 litre boiling water
    salt & pepper

Fry onions, celery, carrot, mushroom and pepper in a pan.

Add chicken joints and fry until browned all over.

Drain peaches and pineapple, reserving juice, and add to pan.

To make sauce blend cornflour and paprika with soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, vinegar and reserved juice, add seasoning, boiling water and pour into pan.

Bring sauce to boil, stirring continuously.

Transfer all ingredients to slow-cooker, cover and cook 5-7 hours.

Forgot to add that these are the quantities to fill the large 6.5litre cooker so use half quantities obviously if you've got a smaller cooker or want to cook less :)
    ~

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At the weekend I made a sausage casserole in mine but trebled the amount of veg, when done I scooped out 2/3 of the veg & made it the basis for a veggie lasagne : just added sliced pappers, Italian herbs & loads of garllic then layerd with ready made lasagne sheets & cheese sauce & it cooked in no time.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    I have stewing steak (couldnt' be bothered cubing it so I slapped it in hole and will trim it into 4 pieces when cooked) added sliced potatoes, chicken stock, tomato puree, white pepper and some mixed herbs (fingers X'd)

Beef cooked in chicken stock? Blurgh! ;)

Also - why bother with white pepper given that the meal is dark anyway?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As Tiff appears to have gone offline at the moment I'll post the recipe for you :)

Caribbean Chicken
    etc...
    :)
    Thanks very much. Printed and ready to go.

Now, lookit, you and tiff are clearly regulars here and I'm fairly new - but foodstuffs, cooking, and recipes turn up in all sorts of different threads and while they're not necessarily directly moneysavers they have a whole lot to do with how you _use_ a fair bit your money saving budget. So, my question is - is there a forum [zone?] for recipes, and if not, should we now have one?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What I tend to do when I come across a recipe in the the threads is copy & paste to wordpad then file them all in one folder for future use otherwise I'd never find them here again!!!

The problem is that in a lot of threads here we tend to wander off topic and things come up in discussion and recipes get posted that are relevant to that discusion, so while trying to post all on one place is an excellent idea, it's not always practical.

If you have a look at the sticky threads I think Fran collated a lot of recipes and food discussions in her food thread so it's worth having a look through there :)
    ~

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I tend to do when I come across a recipe in the the threads is copy & paste to wordpad then file them all in one folder for future use otherwise I'd never find them here again!!!

The problem is that in a lot of threads here we tend to wander off topic and things come up in discussion and recipes get posted that are relevant to that discusion, so while trying to post all on one place is an excellent idea, it's not always practical.

If you have a look at the sticky threads I think Fran collated a lot of recipes and food discussions in her food thread so it's worth having a look through there :)

Yeah, I've been printing each as I find them - purely because finding them again among almost half a million posts now is not a simple process.

Yeah, thread drift I know. After all, I've been on line one place or another since 1980

Food thread? There's 40,000+ threads to choose from, but presumably only one fran - so I'll try that route thanks.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    Beef cooked in chicken stock? Blurgh! ;)

Also - why bother with white pepper given that the meal is dark anyway?
    :rotfl: Hey! Don't knock it until you try it!

White pepper is stronger than black pepper and has no effect on the colour of the meat, but gives a nice twang flavour overall.
    The fresh chicken stock already had onions, leeks and celery cooked with it and I wanted those flavours imparted into the overall flavour of the concoction.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rwsteele wrote:

second - there are recipes popping up in all sorts of threads and they're not really off topic since many cover stretching meals or quick simple and CHEAP recipes. So my question is - is there a proper recipes thread/forum here somewhere - or are we now at the time where there SHOULD be one?
    there is a thread with links to recipes here
    it's a sticky at the top of the board
    which probably just needs a little updating
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure