Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sweetwilliam
    sweetwilliam Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Folks,
    I am new here,if you have heard it all before please bear with me !!!
    Ok been following all the instructions , claimed £3740.00 from Barclays,has got to stage where i have just applied to court (£120.00 i can barely afford).
    Keeping fingers crossed,has anyone got to this with Barclays?and what may happen next?
    Also last pay day went £5.60 od they charged me £30.00 so i phoned them up to ask why they had charged me this "illegal" charge, was passed to a higher being and told "Dont worry the maney will be back in your account within 10 mins"
    It was.........Does this set a precident with my account? (i mean individually not on a global scale).
    All The Best,
    Paul

Don't worry continue with the claim. I have gone as far as getting judgment by default.
  • sweetwilliam
    Options
    Agnes wrote: »
    hello once again, well i have patiently waited for the appearance of the defence from Barclays, time is up tomorrow, can you please tell me if nothing turns up tomorrow do I take the next step immediatley on the MCOL site and ask for money by default[/QUO|tHIS HAPP

This happened to me. I received Judgment by Default. The Bank wrote me threatening begging letter to write to the Court to say I was reversing my decision. I issued warrant. Warrant was issued over a month ago. No execution yet. The court ignores letters. The bailiff says it hasn't received the
    advice from the court to issue the warrant of execution. smells fishy to me.
  • sweetwilliam
    Options
    hi i need help.... just talked to barclays bank about some charges and the 14 i gave them to reply on the 1st letter. They said they will ignore that and will take them up to 8 weeks to reply to me . can i start court proceedings after 14 days and not wait for 8 weeks ? help

START COURT PROCEEDINGS. tHEY DON'T REALISE YOU HAVE DONE IT, BECAUSE THEY EXPECT YOU TO BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO WAIT
    ANOTHER FOUR WEEKS.They in the meantime hope there will be government
    guidelines, to let them off.
  • carrieok85
    carrieok85 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Arggg I am panicking now. After reading the above and today we have received 'Notice of Transfer Proceedings' with Lloyds TSB defense and stating that it is being transferred to our local court (Scarborough) and on the attached document it says the following:

Without hearing

IT IS ORDERED THAT:-
    1. The filing of an allocation questionnaire be dispensed with in this case unless the District Judge at the court of transfer orders otherwise.

Date order drawn: 11 May 2007.

What do we do now? Will we have to go to court? Help!

In the mean time we have also received a cheque from Lloyds TSB for £750.00 (which we have not cashed) we want to proceed to claim the full amount of £1153.84 (includes £120 MCOL Court fee). We sent Lloyds TSB a letter declining the offer of £750, but they sent the cheque anyhow.

I'm so confused now, what do we do now?, we have never done anything like this before.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a read of this thread regarding the Transfer of Proceedings...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=428733
  • gab55
    gab55 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

can anyone answer my question?, after the ruling today how will it affect me, i have just signed and agreed an amount with lloyds and sent it back, is that legally binding? and my husband received a letter yesterday asking him to clarify a few things before they enter into negotiations, is it game over for us!!!!

Cheers
  • REB_3
    REB_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have sent all the letters and waited the timescale given but have not recieved anything from the RBS. I am claiming over £3,000 with interest, however i have sent all paperwork to my branch (they told me they would pass it on to their customer service centre) and I didnt send the letters registered post. I have now taken it to the court and they have until 22nd May to respond. Should i have sent the letters as registered post and if so have I know weakened my case by not doing so?
    I started this process back in January when my first letter and chq for £10 were never recieved, apart from two phonecalls i have made myself to check any progress ,the bank have not sent me any correspondance at all. Am i particulary unlucky or is this common?
    Any advise would be great :confused:
  • pete_the_postman
    Options
    Like many other posters here I too decided to "reclaim my bank charges", which I believe amounted to a couple of thousand from 3 separate accounts.

I sent off 3 requests (+ 3 x £10 cheques) for my statements and eagerly waited.

About 1 month later I later I received a letter back from my bank (Nationwide), which contained one of my £10 cheques, plus a polite letter advising me that the fee was £10 per request rather than per account.

40 days (the statutory maximum allowed for the bank to reply) came and went.
    50 days came and went.
    60 days came and went.

Off goes another letter to the Nationwide Data Protection Team + one to their head office asking "where are my statements ?".

On the advice of another poster on this board I also told them "you have 7 days to send me my statements otherwise I will file a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office".

11 days later I receive 2 letters from the Nationwide, advising me to resubmit "all of my original documentation again" + enclose a fee of £10.

Needless to say, I have sent two polite, but very firm letters back to them (one to the Data Protection Team, the other to their Head Office) advising them that they have not only broken the law by failing to supply me with my requested statements, but that they have cashed my fee (twice) and still not sent me anything remotely like any statements.

I have also complained to the Information Commissioner's Office, and the Financial Ombudsman (after all theft is theft and the bank has cashed 2 of my cheques without supplying the goods).

If anyone else has any good suggestions as to who to complain to then please let me know - I am only too happy to send them a letter also.

Has it deterred me ? Not in the least. The Nationwide owes me money in unfair bank charges and I plan to reclaim every penny they owe.

I hope other do likewise.
  • leehughes17
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm all to new to this!?!?!
    I've just got all my 6 years statements back from Abbey and I've worked out that the charges they have unfairly charged me over the years are £7944.00!!!!!

Do I still go down the normal route of getting it back, or is there another way because it is over £5000.00 ??

If someone could advise me please.

Many Thanks
  • Maggie_Holmes
    Options
    Just gathering the addesses I need before I send the template letter for past credit card statements. So far I still need 3 Mint, I have an address on my statement but not quite sure if this is the address I need to send my letter to. Now Mint are part of the Royal Bank of Scotland, do I send it to them or the addess on my statement?

Also Virgin Credit Card is part of MBNA, but I have just noticed the same address for both MBNA and Virgin so that is solved.

Now my other query, I had a credit card with RBs Advanta, I no longer have any statements, can't remember my account number, does anybody know who they are a part of as I have no address to write to, I have a funny feeling they are The Royal Bank of Scotland too, am I right? if so should I send my letter to their registered address or does someone have a different one for me.

What I have found out, in MSE's instructions for past statements you pay a one of fee of £10.00 But I have telephoned Northern Rock which was taken over by The Co-operative Bank and I think it was Barclaycard and they were trying to fob me off by saying for each statement they wanted £3.00 and £5.00 respectively what a cheek. I mentioned the Data Protection Act, so I take it I am right about the one off fee of £10.00 and that they cannot charge these outrageous prices per past statement.

Just one more question, I send my letters to the different banks that deal with the credit cards I have stated.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport