Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please read Martin's blog regarding this case here...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/?p=457

and the discussion thread on here is located here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=453294
  • Busybeemother
    Options
    Jackswan wrote: »
    Anyone picked up on the earlier posting where Capital One have stated (I have it in writing) that the OFT haven't told them that they have to refund any fees ?

They have only refunded fees as a gesture of goodwill as they believe that their fees are both fair and legal.

Received same letter today re: OFT - requested refund of over £500, they paid £220 back into my account as 'gesture of goodwill' have written rejecting this and informed I will be taking action through court. Set this in motion, Capital One now defending the request!! Am I likely to win?
  • bayjomam
    bayjomam Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to anyone coming to this brand new board after reading Martin's updated article on the Main Site :D

To any users who haven't had an answer to their question on the old discussion thread please feel free to place it here and hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

If you want to ask a question about a specific bank please check the boards to see if you can find a dedicated thread to your bank and pop your question on there.

Don't forget to put your Success story on this thread when you complete your claim and good luck. :)
    ***Anyone with experience with claiming cash off Capital One??***

Sent letters as per templates claiming total of £384.66 (£292 plus interest of £92.66) in March. Finally got letter back off them dated 5th May saying as a 'goodwill gesture' u can have £112.00 back as we will reduce the fees we have charged you from £20 to £12 and this will be shown on my next statement (I closed the account in 2003!!!!). Cheque came on 9th May (dated 30th April!!) I rang them that day (to Indian call centre) to say no not accepting that and was told to fax a letter saying I wasn't accepting it. I did that the same day and sent copy of that letter in post too giving them 7 days to respond. Rang call centre again today to find out what was happening with it and was told all they could pay me was £112. Bloke even agreed that if he was in my position he would put it into court as I said it's not even half of what Iwas claiming from them.

ANYWAY is this actually worth pursuing and putting into court or is the £112 fair and I should take it and run?

Please help!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a read of the Capital One thread, you'll find a link to it in the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature.
  • Dede_2
    Dede_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Has any one else heard the news today that LloydsTSB has won a court case against reclaiming bank charges. Heard it on the 3.30pm news on radio one but am not panicing yet cause have not heard or read the full details but would just like to know if someone else heard. I have just put my claim through the courts yesturday with lloyds and would like to hope who ever it was has been trying to claim for the wrong thing !!
  • bayjomam
    bayjomam Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax went over the 40 days with me too. I rang them up and was told list of charges would be out to me within a few days. The list of charges came within 2 days so I immediatelty sent off the template letter saying 'I want my money back'. My actual statements followed 4 weeks later!!! I'm just about to do court papers this week with MCOL as Halifax keep fobbing me off.
    Good luck and stick to time limits you give them
  • Ex_Bank_staff_&_claiming
    Options
    Dede wrote: »
    Has any one else heard the news today that LloydsTSB has won a court case against reclaiming bank charges. Heard it on the 3.30pm news on radio one but am not panicing yet cause have not heard or read the full details but would just like to know if someone else heard. I have just put my claim through the courts yesturday with lloyds and would like to hope who ever it was has been trying to claim for the wrong thing !!

Ediburgh lass has been nice enough to put link above but here it is again

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/?p=457
  • Hamish26
    Options
    Similair thing happened with my HSBC cash card. I've now been without one for 4 weeks but i just withdraw money from my branch. I went to the Financial ombudsman over my claim and the 8 weeks,by law, that Hsbc have to respond was up yesterday. I phoned them and they said they would send me an offer today.
  • sweetwilliam
    sweetwilliam Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    a1ums wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I Have Written To Barclays With The First Template Letter, I Got Back A Letter From Barclays Saying That Someone Will Be In Touch Regarding The Issue, As Well As It Could Take 4 Weeks, I Already Have Every Single Statement For My Account So I Didnt Need To Ask For Anything.does Anyone Know How Long They Usually Take??...btw, As I Write This Post, I Have Already Been Charged Another £60!!!

Thanks.

Start the Court proceedings.
  • sweetwilliam
    sweetwilliam Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    kevlegs wrote: »
    I would send another letter stating that they have a further 14days to return the charges or you will proceed to court without any further warnings. And if no joy go to court as i did

I didn't wait. I went to Court. They were caught offguard because they were presuming I wouldwait the extra days.The missed defending the claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure