Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• bsjwright
    bsjwright Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Like many other posters here I too decided to "reclaim my bank charges", which I believe amounted to a couple of thousand from 3 separate accounts.

I sent off 3 requests (+ 3 x £10 cheques) for my statements and eagerly waited.

About 1 month later I later I received a letter back from my bank (Nationwide), which contained one of my £10 cheques, plus a polite letter advising me that the fee was £10 per request rather than per account.

40 days (the statutory maximum allowed for the bank to reply) came and went.
    50 days came and went.
    60 days came and went.

Off goes another letter to the Nationwide Data Protection Team + one to their head office asking "where are my statements ?".

On the advice of another poster on this board I also told them "you have 7 days to send me my statements otherwise I will file a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office".

11 days later I receive 2 letters from the Nationwide, advising me to resubmit "all of my original documentation again" + enclose a fee of £10.

Needless to say, I have sent two polite, but very firm letters back to them (one to the Data Protection Team, the other to their Head Office) advising them that they have not only broken the law by failing to supply me with my requested statements, but that they have cashed my fee (twice) and still not sent me anything remotely like any statements.

I have also complained to the Information Commissioner's Office, and the Financial Ombudsman (after all theft is theft and the bank has cashed 2 of my cheques without supplying the goods).

If anyone else has any good suggestions as to who to complain to then please let me know - I am only too happy to send them a letter also.

Has it deterred me ? Not in the least. The Nationwide owes me money in unfair bank charges and I plan to reclaim every penny they owe.

I hope other do likewise.

I too am claiming unfair charges back from Nationwide. I found them very helpful in the initial stages in acquiring the old statements. I think the key is to write to your branch, rather than the data protection team, as this will get things moving more quickly. Although the information comes from the data protection team, I wrote to the branch to request the statements and they came through quite quickly. I am now at the stage where they have filed a defence with MCOL, but I fully expect a refund before the court date.
  • jerseylass_2
    Options
    Hi all - I am in the process of claiming from Lloyds TSB - after a court ruled in their favour today how will this affect any future claims?
  • codydog78
    codydog78 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    i've just got in from work having heard a rumour about someone losing their case against llyods tsb (who are my next port of call). i would just like to say thank you to Edingburghlass for posting the link to martin's blog.

so i can now stop worrying!!!

feel sorry for the bloke though!!!

here's something from yahoo news, hope it reassures everyone further:-

"People should not let today's decision put them off reclaiming their bank charges. This was a county court ruling and does not set a precedent," said Emma Bandey, personal finance campaigner for the Which? consumer association
    halifax: settled paid £2622.18:j
    lloyds tsb: £1038.83 inc interest, but claim on hold.
  • gnomes_2
    gnomes_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks codydog for your post. Not feeling as worried now.

I recieved my copy statements last week and early this week sent off my first letter claiming £1100.00 from barclays bank, then hearing about todays lost claim on the radio, thought DAMM!.

Fingers crossed for all, its a one off.
  • cuddly1
    cuddly1 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all........how are you all doing ???? What a stress this all is.......but looking forward to a brighter end to it all. I first started off back in feb. Had the usual hassle ( HBOS ) sent rec del, claimed they never recieved it but the good thing about rec del is you can track when deliverd and can print off signiture for proof. ANYWAY......got statements after 3 phonecalls, and sent 2nd letter requesting money owed ( £746 ) and still awating reply of ANY kind, 14 days up this friday. Do I send off 3rd letter threatning court proceedings or do I go to my local court and file ???? Sorry, confused as to next step, any help would be really appreciated !!!! Good luck to everyone by the way !!!!

The way I look at it..........if I was to go into my bank and steal ....say....£900, you can bet your **s they would have me go down for it........so why shouldnt we take them to court and get it back.....they are stealing it from us hardworking folk, yes there should be charges, but within means and the amounts for some of the banks is totally ridiculous. Thank goodness for this site AND its moderators that help us out with all the best info they have, god bless you all !!!!!!!! xx
  • Bramther
    Options
    Today, after not receiving a reply from NatWest after my letter telling them that I would commence court proceedings to reclaim my charges ( £3262.03 including interest ), I decided to take the plunge and commence court proceedings ( it cost £120 but I was hopeful that I would get that back.)

This afternoon, I heard on the radio that Lloyds TSB have won a case and that the claimant is to receive nothing!!!

Am I right to be having a MAJOR PANIC :eek: or will I be ok?? ( all words of wisdom will be gratefully received!
  • codydog78
    codydog78 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Bramther wrote: »
    Today, after not receiving a reply from NatWest after my letter telling them that I would commence court proceedings to reclaim my charges ( £3262.03 including interest ), I decided to take the plunge and commence court proceedings ( it cost £120 but I was hopeful that I would get that back.)

This afternoon, I heard on the radio that Lloyds TSB have won a case and that the claimant is to receive nothing!!!

Am I right to be having a MAJOR PANIC :eek: or will I be ok?? ( all words of wisdom will be gratefully received!
    hi, try not to worry! i went as far as the 28 day defence period, then the bank settled.

if you scroll back a couple of pages Edinghburghlass posted a link to martin's blog about the ruling today.
    halifax: settled paid £2622.18:j
    lloyds tsb: £1038.83 inc interest, but claim on hold.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    gnomes wrote: »

No mention of todays case though, so no doubt written before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure