We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• asterisk_2
    Options
    I'm pursuing claims for various credit cards late payment charges and would really appreciate guidance on the following please:
    Egg - claiming over £400. They've offered £64 which they say represents the difference (ie £4) between their charge of £20 and £16 which they have since reduced their charges to and which they say has met with the approval of the OFT. Do I take their offer?
    Monument - they claim the information is stored on microfiche and want to charge me £5 per statement. Can they do this?
    Morgan Stanley - want £10 cheque for past 6 years statements (already sent one but they claim it hasn't been received) plus proof of my signature such as passport.
  • hewplay
    hewplay Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am wondering if anybody else is at this stage or can help i have tried looking at the threads but cannot seem to find any answers

i am claiming against hsbc and they have filled a defence they have sent a load of waffle about being fair and they do not feel that they are being illegal that has come from D and G their legal team and the court has dispenced of the AQ so does anybody know what happens next i rang the courts and they said i do not do anything now, this is all ok but what happens?
    Do i have to wait for a court date or has the court decided in my favour because they are fed up with the banks not turning up
    PLEASE HELP BECAUSE I HAVE READ MANY SUCCESS STORIES BUT MINE JUST SEEMS TO BE DRAGGING ON
    Cheers
  • tarable
    tarable Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I have posted before and was given the advice to start the online claim proceedings against the Royal Bank of Scotland. I have sent out the 2nd and 3rd letters getting back a similar reply of "we are looking into your claim and will get back to you". I live in Northern Ireland, but my bank is obviously in Scotland. I went online to take a look and it asks for the start date of the claim. Do I put the date of my first charge within the 6 year period, or do I put the date of my first letter?

Thanks for your help. The court process is a bit daunting, but I've gone this far so I have to continue!
  • blademon0101
    Options
    Hi Folks,
    I am new here,if you have heard it all before please bear with me !!!
    Ok been following all the instructions , claimed £3740.00 from Barclays,has got to stage where i have just applied to court (£120.00 i can barely afford).
    Keeping fingers crossed,has anyone got to this with Barclays?and what may happen next?
    Also last pay day went £5.60 od they charged me £30.00 so i phoned them up to ask why they had charged me this "illegal" charge, was passed to a higher being and told "Dont worry the maney will be back in your account within 10 mins"
    It was.........Does this set a precident with my account? (i mean individually not on a global scale).
    All The Best,
    Paul
  • cyberman_3
    cyberman_3 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Folks,
    I am new here,if you have heard it all before please bear with me !!!
    Ok been following all the instructions , claimed £3740.00 from Barclays,has got to stage where i have just applied to court (£120.00 i can barely afford).
    Keeping fingers crossed,has anyone got to this with Barclays?and what may happen next?
    Also last pay day went £5.60 od they charged me £30.00 so i phoned them up to ask why they had charged me this "illegal" charge, was passed to a higher being and told "Dont worry the maney will be back in your account within 10 mins"
    It was.........Does this set a precident with my account? (i mean individually not on a global scale).
    All The Best,
    Paul

WOW .... maybe at last they have woken up. It most certainly does set a precedent and if they can do it so fast with one penalty charge, they can do it for the lot. I would now put in writing to them confirming they have refunded this money and suggest they quickly repay your claim plus the court costs ..... before it gets to court

WELL DONE YOU
    The Winner Takes it All
  • joncow75
    joncow75 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Without wanting to put a dampener on your mini success, I wouldn't say this was a precendent set. The banks always had the authority to refund individual charges, and someone was just using their disgresion to refund your £30 based on the fact your account only went over by £5. Most banks will do this if you ask nicely. Fingers crossed you'll hear something back from them soon and you'll have your money before having to go to court. Good luck
    Wage Day Advance, Quick Quid, Pounds to Pocket and Pounds Till Payday....i'm after you
  • cyberman_3
    cyberman_3 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    asterisk wrote: »
    I'm pursuing claims for various credit cards late payment charges and would really appreciate guidance on the following please:
    Egg - claiming over £400. They've offered £64 which they say represents the difference (ie £4) between their charge of £20 and £16 which they have since reduced their charges to and which they say has met with the approval of the OFT. Do I take their offer?
    Monument - they claim the information is stored on microfiche and want to charge me £5 per statement. Can they do this?
    Morgan Stanley - want £10 cheque for past 6 years statements (already sent one but they claim it hasn't been received) plus proof of my signature such as passport.

I was under the impression that the OFT said £12 not £16

Monument must adhere to the Data Protection Act and provide the full information for the max fee of £10 which hopefully you sent them with your request letter.
    The Winner Takes it All
  • bygrace_2
    bygrace_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i may i please have some advice, i have recieved my letter back from Lloyds TSB from my Credit card charges all the jargan then it says. "The office of Fair Trading has published new guidlines on credit card default charges. We are still talking it through with them, but the important point is that the guideline are about default charges when they break an agreement with us. This doesn't apply to your charges as these were for dealing with your request to go over you agreed overdraft limit. They are not default charges because you haven't broken your agreement. They are prices for the service we prodive in these situation".

I need help in understand exactly what they mean

thank you
  • kayla
    kayla Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Twinkly wrote: »
    You can write to the Financial Ombudsman and withdraw your complaint advising that you will be pursuing the matter through the small claims court. You can either go to your local court to file a claim or use the HM courts online service. MCOL (MoneyClaim OnLine) FAQ is here for more info on this:
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1051.htm

The time it takes to complete this process is fixed in part, such as, it takes:
    5 days for the claim to be served
    14 days for the bank to acknowledge and state intention to defend
    14 days to actually defend

The time it can take to get a court date depends on how busy the court is basically but many cases do not get this far and are settled to the claimants satisfaction before this. Either way you are looking at a lot less than the 6-9 months quoted by the FO. Good luck :)
    just phoned financial ombudsman to see if i could get a more realistic time scale, just waiting for someone to call me back (within 24 hours ). if they cant help me any quicker i will withdraw my claim and go through MCOL! thanks for all your help and i will keep posting!!!!!!:D
  • gazmoore
    Options
    hello all, a few years ago i was having financial problems, to cut along story short i went on a government pay plan and was told to move banks ,which i did.anyway i got a letter off the bank id just closed sayin i was £20 over draw.this was 1 year ago i moved and until recently forgot all about it..now im thinking of claiming all my bank charges back (it would be a few Quid seeing as i was always in the red)but im scared of the implications of what happened when i left them.any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport