Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    Intenso wrote: »
    All I did was DL and unzip the file in the link to my desktop.

I then enabled debugging on my phone (its in the developers section of the phones settings. I then plugged my phone into the pc and then clicked on the dictfix-windows.bat file in the downloaded folder on my PC and it ran a script.

The script was completed in literaly a second or two. I then rebooted my phone and the dictionary was fixed. I checked in the phones file manager and there was now a Huawei backup folder and when I then checked my texts I now had a working dictionary and no red underlining.

Thing is I tried this a few days ago and it didn't work, so not entirely sure what is different this time. Only thing I can think of is that I have in my attempts to root the phone DL'ed some drivers that have assisted this process.

Anyway, give it a go it shouldn't brick your phone.

TBH it didn't work for me 1st hit - so tried lots of things including installing a new keyboard, installing ADB and running the script many times and it just started working but to this day i couldn't definitely say what caused it to work
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • graspandsave
    Options
    finally got my g300
    Beware: Technophobe q's coming up

This thread is really long and I have been searching it, but would some kind soul please tell me what I need to do and in what order.

my current phone is payg virgin, I will be ringing them to change tarrifs to the sim only £10 rolling contract, so i can get some web allowance.

i know i need to order an unlocking code from ebay

and then.........

your dummies guide to what to do would be much appreciated

(btw thank you to whoever suggested using your nectar points, in sainburys . I did, so only had to pay a couple of quid for it, after using my loyalty points. result)
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, 1st thing I would do is follow post 372 and upgrade to a nice clean copy of ICS.

Then unlock your phone.

Then finally try this to fix the dictionary.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355651-ics-spellcheck-fix/page__hl__%20dictionary

I also installed the Totem weather widget found here,

http://wikisend.com/download/157384/TotemWeather.apk
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Before paying out for an unlock code, pop your current Virgin Sim in to see if the phone is indeed locked to vodafone.
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2012 at 11:30PM
    Options
    finally got my g300
    Beware: Technophobe q's coming up

This thread is really long and I have been searching it, but would some kind soul please tell me what I need to do and in what order.

my current phone is payg virgin, I will be ringing them to change tarrifs to the sim only £10 rolling contract, so i can get some web allowance.

i know i need to order an unlocking code from ebay

and then.........

your dummies guide to what to do would be much appreciated

(btw thank you to whoever suggested using your nectar points, in sainburys . I did, so only had to pay a couple of quid for it, after using my loyalty points. result)

Depends on what you want to do with th phone. If your technically minded and are trying to get the best out of the phone then you could consider installing ICS rooting it etc.

If your not technically minded then the phone is fine as it out of the box. I have done nothing to I other than unlock it, downloaded some apps and the phone does everything I want. I suspect it will come down to what your used to ie what phone you had before the G300

Beware that messing around with phone especially if your not technically minded can brick the phone etc.
  • graspandsave
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Before paying out for an unlock code, pop your current Virgin Sim in to see if the phone is indeed locked to vodafone.

thanks as I didnt even think that . unfortunately it is locked

will go for unlock code tomorrow.

i have charged it up and put in my virgin sim, the screen on goes on for about 10 secs before it goes blank (long enough to tell me sim locked message)- is this normal?
    Dont want to go through the hassle of unlocking and anything else IF there's a fault with the phone

thanks for your help
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    thanks as I didnt even think that . unfortunately it is locked

will go for unlock code tomorrow.

i have charged it up and put in my virgin sim, the screen on goes on for about 10 secs before it goes blank (long enough to tell me sim locked message)- is this normal?
    Dont want to go through the hassle of unlocking and anything else IF there's a fault with the phone

thanks for your help

its online just get the unlock code- takes 48 hours- link is in the 1st post
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • Intenso
    Options
    thanks for your help

When I changed my sim a little box came up asking for my sim unlock code. I entered my unlock code from ebay and it opened the sim :)
  • mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    Ok I can say that after having the B940 clean ICS upgrade on my G300 i've mainly got it doing what I want it to do and am pretty happy with it and overall personally think it is superior to Gingerbread..

Note its the B940 upgrade and not the Vodaphone ICS upgrade.

The only thing I haven't managed to do which is annoying me is get rid of the "Red Lines" in messaging. I've tried the "Dictfix" as suggested in a few posts previously but unfortunatelt this has not worked

Anyone managed to fix it on B940 without rooting it?
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • Intenso
    Options
    Ok I can say that after having the B940 clean ICS upgrade on my G300 i've mainly got it doing what I want it to do and am pretty happy with it and overall personally think it is superior to Gingerbread..

Note its the B940 upgrade and not the Vodaphone ICS upgrade.

The only thing I haven't managed to do which is annoying me is get rid of the "Red Lines" in messaging. I've tried the "Dictfix" as suggested in a few posts previously but unfortunatelt this has not worked

Anyone managed to fix it on B940 without rooting it?

Yes, check my post 775...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport