Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I'm going to try rooting my phone tonight, just to get rid of some of the bloatware (twitter, Google +, etc)
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Installing a new keyboard won't 'fix' the dictionary - fault manifested as red underlining of all words even if spelt correctly - at best another keyboard app is not spell checking by default or something like that, I have not seen any install its own dictionary which is what's missing from all the ICS releases, apart from ones cooked up by enthusiasts.

The simplest way to fix it is to root the phone - this gives access to android system files so the correct 2 needed dictionary files can be installed.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been trying all evening to root my ICS G300 without joy :(

All I wanted to do is fix the dictionary.

Well I just tried this method again for an unrooted phone and :) it worked...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355651-ics-spellcheck-fix/page__hl__%20dictionary

I have tried this before and it didn't work so not sure what I have done differently this time but I now have a working dictionary with spelling suggestions and no more red underlining.

Well thats it for me now with this phone all sorted and a very happy punter.

And of course, quids in...

Thanks to everyone who's helped in this thread...
  • Kite2010
    edited 11 November 2012 at 12:32AM
    Options
    *edit*

All sorted now :)

(is there any way to de-root a phone once rooted?)
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    I'm being blonde here, can someone tell me what I've done wrong, I've followed the guide on rooting from:
    http://huaweig300.com/how-to-root-the-huawei-g300/

I've got the superuser app installed, but when launching it there is a message saying "no apps in list", what is the next step in getting to uninstalling the unwanted bloat-apps?

(phone running Vodafone's verison of ICS)

Superuser doesn't add/remove apps, all it does is allow apps to access across the root 'security wall' The apps listed in superuser will be the ones you hve told superuser to allow access.

So.. if you don't want to do it manually you need to install an app like Root Uninstaller when you run it (at least the 1st time) superuser will popup and ask if you want to grant it permission, which you do.

App uninst. will list apps including 'system' apps you can now delete with it. Be careful, if your not sure don't delete - you could kill android. Most should be pretty clear.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    ... on Gingerbread my contacts that I linked with hotmail, facebook and contact number have not linked so for e.g no facebook photo under my contacts..any idea why? Is is solveable??

I also noticed that - all accounts should hook up fine (mine did) with exception of Facebook contacts - a bit of investigation told me Facebook/Google relationship has cooled off so this feature is not available since android OS 2.3 (Ice Cream & Jelly bean dont support Facebook contact sharing)
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    Ok had a look at the link and it mentions this "ADB" thing... Do you download this first? Just want to be really cautious as i'm not a techie and don't want to brick my phone..

So you download the file specified onto to your pc..extract it ..then what??? ..Do you then simply plug in your phone and run the file from the pc or do you have to copy to the phone and then run it?

Many thanks

Intenso wrote: »
    I've been trying all evening to root my ICS G300 without joy :(

All I wanted to do is fix the dictionary.

Well I just tried this method again for an unrooted phone and :) it worked...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355651-ics-spellcheck-fix/page__hl__%20dictionary

I have tried this before and it didn't work so not sure what I have done differently this time but I now have a working dictionary with spelling suggestions and no more red underlining.

Well thats it for me now with this phone all sorted and a very happy punter.

And of course, quids in...

Thanks to everyone who's helped in this thread...
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • Intenso
    Options
    All I did was DL and unzip the file in the link to my desktop.

I then enabled debugging on my phone (its in the developers section of the phones settings. I then plugged my phone into the pc and then clicked on the dictfix-windows.bat file in the downloaded folder on my PC and it ran a script.

The script was completed in literaly a second or two. I then rebooted my phone and the dictionary was fixed. I checked in the phones file manager and there was now a Huawei backup folder and when I then checked my texts I now had a working dictionary and no red underlining.

Thing is I tried this a few days ago and it didn't work, so not entirely sure what is different this time. Only thing I can think of is that I have in my attempts to root the phone DL'ed some drivers that have assisted this process.

Anyway, give it a go it shouldn't brick your phone.
  • Intenso
    Options
    Also, as JethroUK noted above this fix seems to delete the existing Android Keyboard. As I already had an ICS Keyboard installed from Google Play my phone then defaulted to that.

It may be wise to install an alternative keyboard before doing the fix...
  • Kite2010
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Superuser doesn't add/remove apps, all it does is allow apps to access across the root 'security wall' The apps listed in superuser will be the ones you hve told superuser to allow access.

So.. if you don't want to do it manually you need to install an app like Root Uninstaller when you run it (at least the 1st time) superuser will popup and ask if you want to grant it permission, which you do.

App uninst. will list apps including 'system' apps you can now delete with it. Be careful, if your not sure don't delete - you could kill android. Most should be pretty clear.

Its all sorted now :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport