Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:after all the fun with the G300 (Its basically my work phone I bought with my own money instead of using the 1984 Nokia my employer issues)... anyway apparently they are now toying with giving us Samsung Galaxy S3!!!! not that I am complaining but the irony. Of course anything they decide seems to take 2 years to implement so the G300 isn't quite doomed yet..
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • mike_the_bike_2
    mike_the_bike_2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2012 at 11:06PM
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Hi Mike, whats up with your phone? anyway 940 is only minor app differences from the other ICS so the process in post 692 by Luci should do it... instructions are in the pdf in the download zip file, similiar process to how you got up to 940, except there is another package to load first to unlock a downgrade action.

Its got the G300 "blob" on the screen which seems to have happened to a number of phones

With regards the downgrade..I've tried what you are suggesting and after copying the contents of the "middle package folder" and following the instructions in the pdf I'm getting on step 2/2 "Update failed" so obviously have a problem.. Damn nuisance as I'd be quite happy to leave 940 on but obviously Vodaphone won't honour the warantee with it on? Any ideas at all??

Just noticed from reading Luci's post that he used it to downgrade from the official Vodaphone ICS anfd not build 940
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • ellie14
    ellie14 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JethroUK wrote: »
    because the thread has got so long I have kept my original post up to date with best prices

silly goose found a good deal for £70 ish which can still be had and the info is in the first post

My phone arrived a short while ago Iam charging it and backtracking this thread to learn as much as possible,thank you everyone can't live without mse.:A
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Its got the G300 "blob" on the screen which seems to have happened to a number of phones

With regards the downgrade..I've tried what you are suggesting and after copying the contents of the "middle package folder" and following the instructions in the pdf I'm getting on step 2/2 "Update failed" so obviously have a problem.. Damn nuisance as I'd be quite happy to leave 940 on but obviously Vodaphone won't honour the warantee with it on? Any ideas at all??

Just noticed from reading Luci's post that he used it to downgrade from the official Vodaphone ICS anfd not build 940

Hmm personally I think the blob is a heat problem caused by a hotspot from a battery fault under heavy load. I have seen zones on flat lithium batteries get alarmingly hot if there is a defect -think its damaging the screen.

Anyway not sure why the downgrade not working, with the second update folder on the SD you could try forced load, don't use phone update, try power off then power up holding both volume keys.

The other thing is as Voda have been pushing out ICS over the internet if you could get the phone to official ICS then you could also take it back as you could be expected to have done the update.

I have seen the files on Modoco for download it would be
    Download Firmware Official Android 4.0.3 - UK OTA - 07/09/2012 (V100R001C02B936)

http://www.modaco.com/topic/358273-official-rom-huawei-g300-android-403-236-09102012/

Seems to be several download sites but the first link in each section looks dubious - avoid. Only use the free download sites, slow but free.

Its worth a go using the usual update method.
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options

Modaco has a sticky on its G300 sub forum all about downgrading and it my be worth looking in there or asking for help there.

If all else fails it maybe worth trying to argue with Vodafone that the problem with the phone is a hardware issue not software issue and therefore they should still repair under SOGA.

Another reason given for blob issue is pressure as it seems alot of people have suffered it after sitting on it in their back pocket or having it in front pocket of jeans while doing a lot of bending?

There are also a few suggestions which worked on how to get rid of it again if all else fails
  • mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    Well the "blob" has disappeared this morning... Its quite well documented on other sites as a G300 problem. In my case I agree caused by having phone in the back pocket and it flexing. It seems to be caused by the screen coming apart from whatever its stuck to possibly..or more likely the opposite..part ofthe screen coming into contact with the back part of the phone.

Well at the moment i'm ok and dont need now to take it back to Vodaphone for repair ..but downgrading back to the original Vodaphone out of the box software from B940 does seem to be a bit more involved for someone of my limited technical abilities.. Fortunately i'm very happy with B940 ICS
    Emy1501 wrote: »
    Modaco has a sticky on its G300 sub forum all about downgrading and it my be worth looking in there or asking for help there.

If all else fails it maybe worth trying to argue with Vodafone that the problem with the phone is a hardware issue not software issue and therefore they should still repair under SOGA.

Another reason given for blob issue is pressure as it seems alot of people have suffered it after sitting on it in their back pocket or having it in front pocket of jeans while doing a lot of bending?

There are also a few suggestions which worked on how to get rid of it again if all else fails
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Apart from being able to fix the dictionary are there any other advantages to rooting the phone?

I'm toying with rooting but wonder if its worth it as I'm very happy as it is running the 940 build of ICS that sillygoose listed above.
  • sillygoose
    Options
    I can see these problems being common and getting more common as phones get bigger and bigger and thinner all the time.

I use a horizontal belt holder (discreetly tucked away under my beer gut :embarasse), easy access and lets the phone breath and keep cool and avoids bending it even though my work is quite active :j.

BELT-IPHN5-BRN-2.jpg
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Intenso wrote: »
    Apart from being able to fix the dictionary are there any other advantages to rooting the phone?

I'm toying with rooting but wonder if its worth it as I'm very happy as it is running the 940 build of ICS that sillygoose listed above.

The only other use I really had was a 3rd party toggle widget I wanted to use that could not directly switch on/off GPS unless it was on the system side so needed root to be able to put it across the root 'fence'

Only other real use is say you wanted to get rid of the Youtube app, which has been installed as a system app so you can't uninstall it. With root you can delete it. Only thing is with root is of course if you delete or mess with the wrong file - one of the Android essential ones, you could disable the phone and need to reflash it to repair.

Of course you could just root, fix the dictionary and never use root again.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2012 at 10:32AM
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    If anyone is debating whether to root this phone I say go ahead and do it.
    I used this guide
    http://huaweig300.com/how-to-root-the-huawei-g300/

worked seamlessly and then downloaded AntTek app manager from the play store.Now I have full control of what runs and what can be confined to the freezer.

How good is Android :)

I tried this and the rootg300 command box reported that the disc was full and didn't root.

I tried resetting my phone but still the same result.

Do I need to try something else to root the phone/

I'm currently on the 940v of ICS.

Edit; going to try again with full erase of sd card...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure