Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Woodyrocks wrote: »
    I am not the most technical but I would like to make the phone work faster and more efficiently if it is possible. I have only just started using the phone this evening (wireless @ home) and should be getting my unlock code before I wake by email (ordered off ebay earlier). My question is this; as I have just purchased a 32GB sd card off amazon, do I need to be that concerned about the bloatware I here talked about?

My worry is that I will turn the phone into a 'brick' for messing about with it the wrong way. Seriously, I couldn't even figure out how to open the back of the phone so the thought of rooting and ice creams just sound beyond me, and I had to download the keyboard mentioned from the play store as I couldn't find the @ symbol!

Your on a steep learning curve but your not alone, as smartphones get taken up more and more people are finding out that they are really having to learn to use a new computer (that can also make calls!) - rather than a phone that does some tricks.

Bloatware is more an annoyance, it shouldn't slow you down but its like living in a house with someone else's mess around permanently - it bother some more than others. This phone has a generous amount of memory so the problem of bloatware taking useful space isn't really an issue either, your SD card will be useful for data rather than programs - photo's, music, movies and 32GB will last a very long time!

Of course the wider issue is not the bloatware but the quality of the underlying system, whether one version performs better than another is harder to quantify.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've only had mine a couple of days Woody,I installed ICS almost straight away so have nothing to compare it with really but once you start using it it becomes 2nd nature and I can't imagine it would need to work any faster,it's fine as it is.
    Android is all about customisation so go to the play store and download what you want to improve the experience,like you I changed the keyboard straight away

I've just found this forum,on 1st glance it seems to have quite a bit of info on it for the G300
    http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-Manufacturers-and-OS/bd-p/OtherOS
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I will wait a week or two before I attempt any changes to the system, and SG have to admit that you make it sound so desirable and somewhat straightforward.

Daz, I am literally falling head over heels with my new phone because of the app store. I now also have airdroid, hype machine, amazon cloud and pansi sms. Feel like a kid really but as a 'mobile worker' this phone upgrade of mine has been long overdue and I am not going to miss my Nokia 5800 much!
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned about Emy501's post. Can anyone confirm that this phone comes with Flash preinstalled? I don't want to go order it then find that sites that use it won't work properly.

No flash preinstalled on phone I got from Very yesterday as BBC videos would not work etc. no download fro play store either.

You can download versions from adobe archived files at your own risk as they say as these are for developers and won't be updated.

I downloaded one and seems work OK.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Emy1501 wrote: »
    No flash preinstalled on phone I got from Very yesterday as BBC videos would not work etc. no download fro play store either.

You can download versions from adobe archived files at your own risk as they say as these are for developers and won't be updated.

I downloaded one and seems work OK.

I had to install BBC Media player in addition to BBCiplayer in order to get BBC stuff to play. But the iplayer works fine now...
  • obvious
    obvious Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://eurodroid.com/2012/11/06/vodafone-users-furious-about-buggy-g300-ics-update/

1. Dictionary broken.

2. Caller ID broken - it doesn't display in time.

3. No hardware accelerated UI despite documented written promises.

4. Reverts to internal storage after reboot even if you tell it to use the SD card.

5. Sluggish and slows down over time leading to force closes etc - bad memory management.

6. Still defaults back to factory ringtones when connected to PC or powered off.

7. The security flaw that allows the sim card to be destroyed when visiting a malicious url has not been patched.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Regarding my sd card issue,the ebay seller is giving me a refund so that's good.....I'm going to try and find a local shop that will let me try before I buy
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and how you fixed the spellchecker please?

Could it be that installing a new keyboard (Perfect Keyboard Free) has fixed the spelchequer problem??? :cool:
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    obvious wrote: »
    http://eurodroid.com/2012/11/06/vodafone-users-furious-about-buggy-g300-ics-update/

1. Dictionary broken.

2. Caller ID broken - it doesn't display in time.

3. No hardware accelerated UI despite documented written promises.

4. Reverts to internal storage after reboot even if you tell it to use the SD card.

5. Sluggish and slows down over time leading to force closes etc - bad memory management.

6. Still defaults back to factory ringtones when connected to PC or powered off.

7. The security flaw that allows the sim card to be destroyed when visiting a malicious url has not been patched.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=56943767&postcount=618
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Is the U8815_Vodafone_B936_F the update to avoid as its buggy?

Just popped up on my phone as an update.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure