Options

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Iconic wrote: »
    Hi SG

I am nearly there!

You will remember I got the G300 last week, installed the Voda ICS, didn't like it and tried to move to V100R001C203B940 as your post 372 without success.

Since then I have downgraded to GB as luci's post 692.

Decided not to try the V940 easy update again after getting back to GB?

I then decided to follow this completely http://huaweig300.com/huawei-g300-install-a-custom-jelly-bean-ics-rom-from-scratch/ and have now got to the last page!

It is a real belt and braces approach but at least I have not bricked the phone so far!

In actual fact because I already had the voda ICS installed in the first place I could have started at page 5 because the voda ICS is baseband version 2030.

The only thing I have to do now is choose the ROM I want from Modaco as this page http://huaweig300.com/huawei-g300-install-a-custom-jelly-bean-ics-rom-from-scratch/install-the-custom-rom/

Could you just confirm that this is the one you have http://www.modaco.com/topic/357413-ics-repack-403-b940-u8815-ota-release-rom/ and that I should install the first file as my G300 is already rooted.

Yes, this one is the clean normal ICS. I believe you just need the first file with the loaders you already have installed so far, you have the second file already downloaded.. might be handy just in case there is a problem you could try a rescue with full update from SD again (hopefully not) You will also want to flash the root file from that page afterwards.. as it will be unrooted again after the 940 goes on. Rooted will make it easy to fix the dictionary.

There is a version 944 around, but some say its just an older version tarted up. 940 seems to have a later kernel as well.. works good for me.

Many thanks
    Have fun!!!!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Have fun!!!!

I suppose you can call it that!

Anyway I have now got 940 on my phone. Unfortunately I have got the dreaded wi-fi problem....it will not switch on. From the Modaco forum it seems this is quite common. Anyway the best solution seems to be as this post

'I also had the wifi problem with this ROM but managed to get it working in the end. This is what I did.

Phone from new - followed the guide for 5 year olds to get to stock vodafone 936 (very good guide by the way).
    Followed same guide to install this repacked 940 ROM. Wifi didn't work.
    Reflashed ROM In CWM formatted davlik cache, cache and data. Still didn't work.
    Formatted davlik, cache, data and SYSTEM then re-flashed ROM in cwm (in that order). Then it worked.

So maybe formatting system before flashing the ROM was the key, or maybe doing the formats before the flashing, or maybe it was just luck!'

What would you do?

Thanks
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Iconic wrote: »
    I suppose you can call it that!

Anyway I have now got 940 on my phone. Unfortunately I have got the dreaded wi-fi problem....it will not switch on. From the Modaco forum it seems this is quite common. Anyway the best solution seems to be as this post

'I also had the wifi problem with this ROM but managed to get it working in the end. This is what I did.

Phone from new - followed the guide for 5 year olds to get to stock vodafone 936 (very good guide by the way).
    Followed same guide to install this repacked 940 ROM. Wifi didn't work.
    Reflashed ROM In CWM formatted davlik cache, cache and data. Still didn't work.
    Formatted davlik, cache, data and SYSTEM then re-flashed ROM in cwm (in that order). Then it worked.

So maybe formatting system before flashing the ROM was the key, or maybe doing the formats before the flashing, or maybe it was just luck!'

What would you do?

Thanks

Yes, it was one of the reasons I avoided that bootloader flashing route - concerned as to what else might be missing/not over written that had not shown up yet.

Personally I would have tried the update folder method again whilst you were back on 2.3 again, worse case it would have just failed - but kudo you went for it big time instead! :cool:

As it will still need rooting again and unless you intend trying other roms having a boot into CWM isn't much use (although the backup ability could be useful). I do wonder, as its not worked for people already on ICS if the 940 image is overlaying some areas but using bits of original area - or.. not clearing them in the assumption of what they contain from 2.3 which its designed to upgrade. Maybe thats why the formatting helps.
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Yes, it was one of the reasons I avoided that bootloader flashing route - concerned as to what else might be missing/not over written that had not shown up yet.

Personally I would have tried the update folder method again whilst you were back on 2.3 again, worse case it would have just failed - but kudo you went for it big time instead! :cool:

As it will still need rooting again and unless you intend trying other roms having a boot into CWM isn't much use (although the backup ability could be useful). I do wonder, as its not worked for people already on ICS if the 940 image is overlaying some areas but using bits of original area - or.. not clearing them in the assumption of what they contain from 2.3 which its designed to upgrade. Maybe thats why the formatting helps.

In the end I went with 944. No problems so far!

Thanks for your help.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there anyway to use this phone with headphones without a mike?

When I plug the headphones in it seems to disable the internal mike.

I have a lovely pair of Sennheiser in ear phones but they dont have a mike :(

Maybe some app can do it?
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    ellie14 wrote: »
    Tried toget Huawei g 300 from Tesco and T Direct H/O sent me to local store never heard of phone told me to ring Tesco direct same thing no phones in stock ,anyone know any other deals ,was going to get with cc points

because the thread has got so long I have kept my original post up to date with best prices

silly goose found a good deal for £70 ish which can still be had and the info is in the first post
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • mike_the_bike_2
    mike_the_bike_2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2012 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Damn.. I upgraded to the "Silly Goose" ICS update on my G300 last week and have been really impressed!

Trouble is I now have to make a warantee claim on the phone and need to go back to the original as supplied version with the Vodaphone stuff on otherwise they will reject

Can anybody please assist pls..help very much appreciated!

I'm on B940 build
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If anyone is debating whether to root this phone I say go ahead and do it.
    I used this guide
    http://huaweig300.com/how-to-root-the-huawei-g300/

worked seamlessly and then downloaded AntTek app manager from the play store.Now I have full control of what runs and what can be confined to the freezer.

How good is Android :)
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    If anyone is debating whether to root this phone I say go ahead and do it.
    I used this guide
    http://huaweig300.com/how-to-root-the-huawei-g300/

worked seamlessly and then downloaded AntTek app manager from the play store.Now I have full control of what runs and what can be confined to the freezer.

How good is Android :)

Plus you can fix the dictionary too. :cool:
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Damn.. I upgraded to the "Silly Goose" ICS update on my G300 last week and have been really impressed!

Trouble is I now have to make a warantee claim on the phone and need to go back to the original as supplied version with the Vodaphone stuff on otherwise they will reject

Can anybody please assist pls..help very much appreciated!

I'm on B940 build

Hi Mike, whats up with your phone? anyway 940 is only minor app differences from the other ICS so the process in post 692 by Luci should do it... instructions are in the pdf in the download zip file, similiar process to how you got up to 940, except there is another package to load first to unlock a downgrade action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure