Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2012 at 10:02AM
    Options
    woo! that's neat in ICS, press volume down and power keys together for 1 second and it takes a screenshot of whatever is on screen.. saves it in SDcard-pictures-screenshots folder. Could be handy if you want to show someone how an app looks when setup.

I am pretty much at the end of the line with mods folks, don't think you can expect much more from the phone than its giving, just installing the Dilbert app completes it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think that only works in rooted phone SG...
  • mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    Intenso wrote: »
    Yes, check my post 775...

Ok thanks I will keep trying as unfortunately for whatever reason couldn't get it to work yesterday
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Intenso wrote: »
    Think that only works in rooted phone SG...

You got rooted in the end? I lost track! ... I am thinking as you have said the dictionary fix is down to having the right G300 USB drivers install which you got from tryingto root.

As the Huawei PC app I posted recently runs the phone in 'usb debugging' mode too it must install the USB drivers. I am thinking if people simply install this app first if it would enable the dictionary fix to work.
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Ok thanks I will keep trying as unfortunately for whatever reason couldn't get it to work yesterday

Hi mike, just a theory but won't do any harm and pretty easy, try installing Huawei HiSuite on your PC (post 712) it and maybe try again with the dictionary fix. ITs a PC program to support your phone but it may put the right usb drivers on your PC as a side effect.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    You got rooted in the end? I lost track! ... I am thinking as you have said the dictionary fix is down to having the right G300 USB drivers install which you got from tryingto root.

As the Huawei PC app I posted recently runs the phone in 'usb debugging' mode too it must install the USB drivers. I am thinking if people simply install this app first if it would enable the dictionary fix to work.

Despite trying all Sat afternoon I couldn't root it and I tried everything!

It seems as if it is easier to root from GB than it is ICS.

Anyway, I think you're right regarding fixing the Dictionary. I'm sure that one of the scripts I ran trying to root the phone instaled the correct drivers. So when I then tried the dicfix script again it worked.

Anyway, I'm pleased its not rooted now as it feels safer and the phone is running really sweet...
  • graspandsave
    Options
    JethroUK wrote: »
    its online just get the unlock code- takes 48 hours- link is in the 1st post

yes thanks i saw that and i will use that one as most on MSE seems to have successfully unlocked that way

BUT before i do, having charged up the phone i put it on and the screen goes blank after about 10 secs, i would like to know if this is normal

dont want to go to getting an unlock code and then having to return a faulty handset- if it is indedd faulty, so just wondering about that

all comments appreciated
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    BUT before i do, having charged up the phone i put it on and the screen goes blank after about 10 secs, i would like to know if this is normal
    That will just be the screen timing out which is quite normal ...if you hit the power button again the screen should come back up
    It's not just about the money
  • graspandsave
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    That will just be the screen timing out which is quite normal ...if you hit the power button again the screen should come back up

yeah i did that and it does, but is 10 secs approx all you get before it goes blank? can you change that?
    please bear in mind i am new to smartphones, i just thought it 'd be a bit more generous with time before it goes 'off'
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    yeah i did that and it does, but is 10 secs approx all you get before it goes blank? can you change that?
    please bear in mind i am new to smartphones, i just thought it 'd be a bit more generous with time before it goes 'off'
    It does that when the phone is locked ...when you slide the screen to unlock it the screen will stay on
    It's not just about the money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport