Forum Home » Marriage, Relationships & Families

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use

573 replies 256.9K views

Replies

• I always "re-use" my toilet paper, by wiping and then folding it in half and using it for another wipe. As an IBS sufferer, I spend a lot of time on the toilet and although I dont buy the cheapest brand, I refuse to buy the luxury stuff unless its on offer :D
  • edited 12 September 2012 at 2:03PM
    cottonheadcottonhead Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    696 posts
    edited 12 September 2012 at 2:03PM
    OK - To begin with I am a Muslim and certainly don't use my bare hands - scrooze247..... not sure where you got that little bit of inaccurate info from. I can take a joke but thats a bit offensive and a needless thing to bring into the forum. In fact I could really bore you with a few facts - Muslims are required to pray 5 times a day. Each time you pray you must be clean, so if you have been to the toilet you are required to wash in a special way ( washing your hands, arms, face, feet 3 times each - my maths is bad but I calculate that as 15 lots of washing a day....... so not that unclean really... )

Apologies to everyone else who just wanted to read about toilet roll !

Sticking with the actual topic - I buy my toilet paper from Aldi- its called Saxon. 9 roles for £1.99 its 220 sheets per roll and its quite soft. Have tried some other brands but they didnt actually work out cheaper as the sheets per roll were far less. This one is also quite strong.
  • I support cottonhead on both the counts he/she raised. There are too many myths and assumptions about what 'other people' do.

Sticking with the TP part of the post, I buy its equivalent from Lidl and it has much better 'wet strength' than a similar product from Sainsbugs. Hence fewer sheets needed.

• j.e.j.j.e.j. Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Lidl used to do a 10-pack of loo-rolls for about £1.30, not sure if they still do?

These days I just look out for loo roll whenever there's a multi-pack on offer.

This thread reminds me of a programme that was on BBC4 recently about the history of the toilet :rotfl: I recommend watching it, if it gets repeated, it was quite fascinating! The super-duper high-tech japanese loos were the best :D
  • I have memories from when I was a kid (still in the parents-wiping-your-bottom stage) of my father's meticulous method for saving on toilet paper.

He would take a length off the roll and carefully concertina fold it on the perforations. He would then do a wipe and discard only the top sheet of his concertina. This would be repeated until he was down to the last one or two sheets.

I wonder if he still does it...
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    That's quite a bad thing to say actually.

When I have visited Arab countries, they very often have an "Aftebet" or their version of a bidet, which after a little pracice, I found to be great - very easy on the bum. It is a hose with a tap, and you wash your botty after proceedings have been finalised. Much better and far cleaner than paper.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the ultimate loo paper then this has to be the way to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTvjRyv0c5M

No worries! :eek:
  • Bluebell1000Bluebell1000 Forumite
    732 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I really notice the difference in toilet roll use when my husband is away. I've never felt that I can ask him why he gets through so much... maybe I should send him the link to this thread :) Though he knows my ID on here, so he'd know I'd been posting about him...

We usually buy supermarket mid range own brand, as I can't stand the value stuff. Oddly, hubby is quite happy with the value type. Maybe we should get his and hers loo roll.
  • Lidl recycled paper. The best, end of. Never blocks the loo, cheap and comfortable. Next best - whatever Home Bargains has (Dixcel, Nicky...).
  • Li0nheadLi0nhead Forumite
    16.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy offers.
    Do it at work.
    Do it in public toilets.
    Do it in shops.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support