Forum Home » Marriage, Relationships & Families

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use

573 replies 256.9K views

Replies

• PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never found a need to skimp in my use of this type of tissue. I buy it in big packs, based on £/100 sheets.... but once it's home there's no shortage. I use it in abundance..... no skimping here.

On the other hand, I don't buy meat or wine..... but I've a lovely clean bum :)
  • I was brought up with the line "this toilet is old and blocks if you use more than 2 squares. If you block it, you have to clean it by hand". Still works for me :)

Now to convince everyone else in the new flat
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ...average usage is 12 sheets per flush...
    Oh - and I thought I was carefree in my use.... 12/flush seems waaaaaay too much....
  • Mrs_ArcanumMrs_Arcanum Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only other tip is to put the roll on the holder so the paper pulls from the back. Stops children/pets unrolling a load "accidentally". ;)

Nothing seems to stop my lot from using too much though. :(
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • mike347928mike347928 Forumite
    74 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Pull your bum cheeks apart slightly one hand, on each side. Or maintain a V shape between your legs and upper body instead of the L shape when you usually sit - putting your feet on a stool or platform helps or leaning slightly forward (and I mean slightly if you miss there is much more cleanup). That should help the flow, less sheets used in cleanup.
  • Another advocate of a decent paper here (cushelle for us) as when I use a cheap one I'm so worried about fingers going through it so I know I use more!

Re wet wipes - I buy the own brand toddler wipes. They're cheap, often on offer, don't clog the loo and (not to be too graphic) are fab for ladies at certain times of the month...:D

Plus they always seem to have a nice apple-y smell ;)
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
  • The Romans used to use a goose's neck. Not just effective, but green too as there was no wasted paper.
  • Only other tip is to put the roll on the holder so the paper pulls from the back. Stops children/pets unrolling a load "accidentally". ;)

Nothing seems to stop my lot from using too much though. :(

I'm sitting here twitching thinking of loo roll hanging to the back. You know that odd thing every person has? That's mine - it must be hanging to the front! :D
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
  • I use cloth nappies and washable wipes on my baby girl and I know some of my cloth bum mum friends use washable wipes on themselves, usually just for no1s, not 2s. Then they just go in the wash with the nappies. Wipes are just squares of fabric like terry towelling, fleece, microfibre or bamboo. You can use them dry or damp.
    :j Debt Free 27.07.2011!! :j
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SPROUTGOAT wrote: »
    Why waste money on wet wipes which might block the drains anyway? Simply get a few sheets of bunched-up toilet paper wet & use those. This is easy if your loo is in the bathroom. or near a handbasin. When I first started doing this, after the last ostensibly clean dry wipe, I was amazed at how dirty in reality my bum still was.

I just wanted to reiterate what Sproutgoat pointed out re wet wipes and flushing, they cause a lot of blockages in the sewers!
    If you do use ordinary baby wipes, put them in a doggypoo bag and put them in the wheelie bin, don't flush them!
    There are proper flushable moist toilet tissue wipes available so if you need wet wipes it's best to use those ones instead. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support